You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Atlético Madrid (H) - CL, Wed 3rd Nov 2021 (8:00pm)

Trumo

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

The answer is easy, dont act the cunt to get out of your club or when you play against them. I dont remember in all my years a returning player being a cunt towards us in a game.

Steve Staunton got more grief coming back to Anfield as a Villa player with cunts singing 'Thanks very much we'll take the million' that Suarez got last night and all he did was find himself surplus to the King's requirements.

Exactly. I find all these posts crying over Suarez's treatment from the fans a bit nauseating. He behaved disgracefully in the way he left the club and the manner in which he played against us when he was at Barca. That's what the boos were for. Some people have short memories of Suarez and are only remembering the good times we had with him. 

2 minutes ago, Baltar said:

Exactly. I find all these posts crying over Suarez's treatment from the fans a bit nauseating. He behaved disgracefully in the way he left the club and the manner in which he played against us when he was at Barca. That's what the boos were for. Some people have short memories of Suarez and are only remembering the good times we had with him. 

AKA Dave U

1 minute ago, Baltar said:

Yeah, and if as someone suggested, it threw him off his game, it did its job on that basis alone.

I loved Suarez as much as anyone but if Virgil did his knee in again in the first leg after Suarez backed into him while he was in the air, everyone on this site would be fit to kill him.

Fuck him.

8 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Can’t wait for Klopp to do his annual whinge about fixture congestion, using it as an excuse to throw the fa cup, again.  All the while playing strong sides in meaningless games cause it makes the yank scum more money that doesn’t get put back into the team.

just hurry up and get the super league shite going so I can fuck this soulless club off.

Do it now mate, if you're getting no joy out of supporting us now then you may aswell give football up altogether if it's making you this miserable, or go support Everton as you'll fit right in.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Em City said:

I loved Suarez as much as anyone but if Virgil did his knee in again in the first leg after Suarez backed into him while he was in the air, everyone on this site would be fit to kill him.

Fuck him.

I don't think that's even true, sadly. You'd still have the people that would talk about it being his "winning mentality". The people who love Suarez are a bit like the United fans who worship Ronaldo in that weird way, except Suarez did far less for us than Ronaldo did for them and acted worse. 

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, El Rojo said:

Who was the wanker chant about? Suarez? Sounded awful. Real 'ooo-are-ya' territory. 

It was really shite really bad impression of Stoke fans. Not needed IMO we didn't have to kiss his arse just give him a decent reception when he went off . There were a few others more deserving of the crowds attention than him last night.

2 hours ago, gkmacca said:

I was fascinated by the ref. Right from the start, he had the look of someone who'd watched recordings of Atletico and already made up his mind he wasn't going to take any of their usual shite. It was great karma for them, but it was amusing to see him just have this permanent scowl on his face whenever he had to look at any of them. They finally got what they deserved,

I thought he was shite tbh. Decided early on he was giving Sadio fuck all and allowed them to kick lumps off him. His yellows were very debatable for Hendo and Joel and he allowed Koke to get away with a lot of stuff. It was like he was out of his depth.

In the red or dead podcast Dave described Suarez's antics and the reception in the return leg in 2019 as "just business".  I'd go along with that and anything he done in Madrid was the same. Last night was a tiny bit unfortunate, the game was still a little bit alive which meant its still business,  another 10 minutes off the clock and I reckon the reception would have been totally different. I was hoping the Suarez chant would get an airing in the last couple of minutes for old time sake.

3 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

I thought he was shite tbh. Decided early on he was giving Sadio fuck all and allowed them to kick lumps off him. His yellows were very debatable for Hendo and Joel and he allowed Koke to get away with a lot of stuff. It was like he was out of his depth.

In the red card situation both the ref and the player had decisions to make, the Athletico lad could have easily just dripped Sadio to end the counter attack but decided to add a bit more flavour to the tackle. The ref could have could have easily decided to just book him but decided to go nuclear when the little prick decided to ignore him. 

6 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

I agree with this. Sadio was kicked from pillar to post, and was clearly fouled twice  immediately before he got booked for reacting. Ref gave them some really soft free kicks and booked Hendo and Matip even though they both clearly played the ball. Whereas they ought to have seen at least there more yellows. The only time he got tough was when they disrespected his authority.

Bottom line, though, is that one way or another their cuntery got exactly what it deserved.

2 minutes ago, No2 said:

In the red card situation both the ref and the player had decisions to make, the Athletico lad could have easily just dripped Sadio to end the counter attack but decided to add a bit more flavour to the tackle. The ref could have could have easily decided to just book him but decided to go nuclear when the little prick decided to ignore him. 

Prett much as how I saw it. I dont think the Atletico player was getting sent off until he refused to go to the ref. Seems like the ref went fuck it, I'll show you who is boss.

Regarding the tackle, it was cynical to trip him and he had another go at Sadio as he fell down. I know some say they think it would have been a sending off if Sadio was in their half and closer to goal but a cynical foul is cynical wherever it's made.

Plus, it's time all the 'dark arts' shit was properly punished instead of absolute twats getting of lightly with a yellow and just another oppo assigned to do the hacking down.

2 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Prett much as how I saw it. I dont think the Atletico player was getting sent off until he refused to go to the ref. Seems like the ref went fuck it, I'll show you who is boss.

Regarding the tackle, it was cynical to trip him and he had another go at Sadio as he fell down. I know some say they think it would have been a sending off if Sadio was in their half and closer to goal but a cynical foul is cynical wherever it's made.

Plus, it's time all the 'dark arts' shit was properly punished instead of absolute twats getting of lightly with a yellow and just another oppo assigned to do the hacking down.

I remember Rooney getting sent off for lashing at a lad he could have easily just tripped. It was worse than what Felipe done last night but same principle, he wanted to turn a free hit into a little bit more and stupidly thought he could do what he wanted,  Felipe would have gotten away with last night but for the arrogance. That ref is a copper,  he's not taking that shit from anyone.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Been saying for years that football needs to introduce a sin bin and chuck any player in it for ten minutes who commits a foul with absolutely no intention of playing the ball. Keep the red card for when it denies a goalscoring opportunity, but a cynical foul is a cynical foul no matter where it happens, and needs more than just a "stop being naughty" yellow, IMO.

Really enjoyed that sending off yesterday and I agree - it was a particularly nasty example of a yellow card-able cynical foul, but the ref decided to deny him the benefit of the doubt when he started acting the cunt. I genuinely think that's why Simeone was so subdued last night - once he realised this was a ref who was a law unto himself and wasn't going to play their game, I think he realised that at 2-0 down and with ten men he had no chance.

The chant is a fucking disgrace though. He might be a bellend but they aren't domestic rivals for fucks sake. Leave random continental rivalries to lesser clubs.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, No2 said:

Not arguing with the red card at all but generally thought you could not read how he would react to each situation. Also him and VAR missed a blatant pen when Jota was wrestled to the ground I can accept the ref missing it but not VAR who got both calls correct for the disallowed goals.

2 hours ago, Baltar said:

I still love the crazy fucker but I'm not arsed about the booing. 

I don't care about Suarez. Great player, wonderful goals, but the fawning over him by some reds is pitiful. Like a battered ex cooing "We had some good times together". Move on.

The booing was shit, however it was aimed at a player who has begged for ours to be carded, deliberately kicked Robertson and injured him, and has generally acted the cunt. He should've got a decent reception, but then if you piss in the punch you can't complain when no one wants to toast you.

The Ole's at the wheel and Simeone chants were far more egregious. Talk about small time.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Boss said:

No one, not Dalglish, not Barnes, not even Gerrard himself, played with the intensity Luis Suarez played with for us. You can say he wanted to go to Arsenal, but you must've forgotten what happened next. He didn't sulk like Harry Kane or refuse to play; he buckled down and gave us arguably the greatest individual season of any player in Premier League history. He was in tears at Palace when the dream of lifting the title was over. He's been nothing but gracious about us since he left.

He's an all-time great and gave us his prime years playing alongside Aly Cissokho, Joe Allen, Simon Mignolet, Mamadou Sakho and Andy Carroll. Show some respect for an OG, especially in what is most likely his last game at Anfield. Disgraceful behaviour. Boo him in the match if you must, but booing him off the pitch?! Nah, not having that. He should've got a standing ovation. 

Yep. And Gerrard flirted with Chelsea. Probably less surprising to see a Uruguayan thinking about a move to London than a local lad though.

4 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

I don't think that's even true, sadly. You'd still have the people that would talk about it being his "winning mentality". The people who love Suarez are a bit like the United fans who worship Ronaldo in that weird way, except Suarez did far less for us than Ronaldo did for them and acted worse. 

Suarez is a better footballer than Ronaldo.

Ronaldo is a better goalscorer.