You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Atlético Madrid (H) - CL, Wed 3rd Nov 2021 (8:00pm)

Trumo

I find it really hard to dislike Suarez after that season we nearly won the title. I actually used to go the match back then and have some fond memories of some boss days out that season singing Depeche Mode’s I just can’t get enough. So instead of being booed I would’ve preferred if he’d had another rendition of that. Especially as the game was won and we were playing keep ball against ten men. Also the amount of shit he got over that Evra nonsense with the Mancs is another reason why he shouldn’t have been booed.
Anyone doing that last night is a dickhead in my opinion.

11 hours ago, aRdja said:

My team for Porto:

Adrian, Williams, Phillips, Koumetio, Beck; Morton, Jones, Minamino; Gordon, Balagizi, Origi

Gordon is ineligible (and also injured, again, in yesterday's game)

11 hours ago, Chocoholic said:

Hahahahaha!

As an aside, this is in all likelihood, Suarez's last playing appearance at Anfield

He's promised to come and play in Henderson's testimonial (and Mignolet's, and Lucas's...)

10 hours ago, bizzle10 said:

i thought this was the group of death

Yes, and it's dead now

Not read anything else from the thread, but anybody who boo’d or endorses the boo’ing of Suarez last night his a complete twat. 

The lad next to me was boo’ing him. I provided him feedback on my thoughts. 

So what if he celebrated when he scored and acted a cunt in the matches against us? That’s who he is, we loved him when he was like that for us, I wouldn’t expect anything less.

The 13/14 season was the best individual season I’ve ever seen a Liverpool player have. An absolutely incredible player and a shame we didn’t have the squad to play consistently play with him, like we do now. 

I still love him and from my match going days, would be the first name in my favourite LFC XI.

• Upvote 1

Not a fan of the strolling around in games we feel are already won. As a philosophy I have no issue with ' managing the game ' but we just aren't very good at it and lose all potential to score without seemingly quashing chances for the opposition. Ronaldo's 'goal' would have been merely annoying in he Manc game , but Suarez's 'goal' or the other lad's sitter from Thiago's mistake would have sent a chill round the ground.

7 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Not a fan of the strolling around in games we feel are already won. As a philosophy I have no issue with ' managing the game ' but we just aren't very good at it and lose all potential to score without seemingly quashing chances for the opposition. Ronaldo's 'goal' would have been merely annoying in he Manc game , but Suarez's 'goal' or the other lad's sitter from Thiago's mistake would have sent a chill round the ground.

It's not "strolling around" when you're keeping possession for the last 20 or 30 minutes of a game like that. If we'd have gone for more goals (like we would have done under Rodgers) there's a greater chance of losing possession and conceding. There's also a greater chance of picking up injuries.

So, yeah, that thing we did in those games we comfortably won - I approve of it.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

It's not "strolling around" when you're keeping possession for the last 20 or 30 minutes of a game like that. If we'd have gone for more goals (like we would have done under Rodgers) there's a greater chance of losing possession and conceding. There's also a greater chance of picking up injuries.

So, yeah, that thing we did in those games we comfortably won - I approve of it.

If you have two lots of half hours against ten men in games you are previously bossing , and in that hour the opposition have  4 or 5 close shaves or goals disallowed for very tight offside decisions , while you barely get into their box I don't think it is working as a strategy.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

We get $3.3m for each Champions League group stage win, about £2.4m. Winning the EFL Final, a club gets £100,000.

Is that not the sort of financial incentive  that caused us to play Jota in a dead rubber last year so we could trouser 3 to 4 hundred . Not to be sniffed at but with a paper thin squad and Matip,Ox,Thiago needed I would suggest no first teasers for last two games . 

Given that Ronaldo was applauded off at Anfield when he played with Real, the booing of Suarez last night was a bit ridiculous.

He was rightly booed for Barcelona in 2019, but last night was a chance to give him a decent reception. 

Also - Torres, Suarez, and Phillips all in the same stadium. We won't see that again. 

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

That's exactly it. If you accelerate the play you invite the kind of challenges where you will get injuries. 

The boos last night were out of order. The guy gave everything in that season and we loved him when he was our cunt and I will always like him. Like as been said about Ronaldo getting clapped off at Anfield. I was on the kop that night and him getting clapped off was a low point for me going the game. Totally embarrassing but yet an ex player gets booed on his return? 

Bang out of order. 

I’d go as far as saying it was upsetting to see the reception Suarez got. Yes, he was a bit of a cunt in the 2019 semi but that’s just his nature, we adored him when he did it for us.

He was absolutely magnificent for us, undoubtedly the most entertaining player I’ve seen for us, gave 100% every second he was on the pitch and has spoken highly of us ever since.

He wasn’t himself yesterday, he was shirking out of challenges, apologising to our players and just looks completely dejected when booed off the pitch.

40 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

Is that not the sort of financial incentive  that caused us to play Jota in a dead rubber last year so we could trouser 3 to 4 hundred . Not to be sniffed at but with a paper thin squad and Matip,Ox,Thiago needed I would suggest no first teasers for last two games . 

Think you meant £2.4m? It has to be remembered that you have to get to the EFL Cup final and win it to get the 100 grand. You only get 50 grand if you lose in the final and the gate money for each round for competing so yeah, getting £2.4m for each CL Group stage win has to be more important when fans are going 'we're skint!'

I was fascinated by the ref. Right from the start, he had the look of someone who'd watched recordings of Atletico and already made up his mind he wasn't going to take any of their usual shite. It was great karma for them, but it was amusing to see him just have this permanent scowl on his face whenever he had to look at any of them. They finally got what they deserved,

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, LFC 6 Times said:

I’d go as far as saying it was upsetting to see the reception Suarez got. Yes, he was a bit of a cunt in the 2019 semi but that’s just his nature, we adored him when he did it for us.

He was absolutely magnificent for us, undoubtedly the most entertaining player I’ve seen for us, gave 100% every second he was on the pitch and has spoken highly of us ever since.

He wasn’t himself yesterday, he was shirking out of challenges, apologising to our players and just looks completely dejected when booed off the pitch.

The answer is easy, dont act the cunt to get out of your club or when you play against them. I dont remember in all my years a returning player being a cunt towards us in a game.

Steve Staunton got more grief coming back to Anfield as a Villa player with cunts singing 'Thanks very much we'll take the million' that Suarez got last night and all he did was find himself surplus to the King's requirements.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

The answer is easy, dont act the cunt to get out of your club or when you play against them. I dont remember in all my years a returning player being a cunt towards us in a game.

Steve Staunton got more grief coming back to Anfield as a Villa player with cunts singing 'Thanks very much we'll take the million' that Suarez got last night and all he did was find himself surplus to the King's requirements.

Did Diouf act the prick at a game before when he came back ?

Personally I'm not arsed once players leave us - loved both Suarez and Torres when they were here but trying to force move to Arsenal / moving to Chelsea certainly goes a long way to burning bridges in my book.

If Suarez had of scored the winner last night he'd have had no issue celebrating in front of the Kop hes a big boy & only cares about winning.

9 minutes ago, Mark M said:

Personally I'm not arsed once players leave us - loved both Suarez and Torres when they were here but trying to force move to Arsenal / moving to Chelsea certainly goes a long way to burning bridges in my book.

If Suarez had of scored the winner last night he'd have had no issue celebrating in front of the Kop hes a big boy & only cares about winning.

Was trying to work out if his non-celebration for his disallowed goal was because they were still losing or if it was a mark of respect for us. 

53 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Think you meant £2.4m? It has to be remembered that you have to get to the EFL Cup final and win it to get the 100 grand. You only get 50 grand if you lose in the final and the gate money for each round for competing so yeah, getting £2.4m for each CL Group stage win has to be more important when fans are going 'we're skint!'

Don't want to be a pain but I assume there is major fall off between win (2.4) lose or draw  ?

Different perspective either way . 

25 minutes ago, Mark M said:

Good point about Diouf, I had forgotten him. Thankfully.

Im not arsed either really, Im just engaging with the general subject of Suarez getting booed by a section of the crowd. I dont have a problem with oppo players giving stick back to the fans who've given it them all game and vice versa.

Frankly, I  think Suarez antics to get out of the club, like Coutinho's, severely soured my respect towards each of them.

12 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

Don't want to be a pain but I assume there is major fall off between win (2.4) lose or draw  ?

Different perspective either way . 

Yes but, the original question was about the amounts of money for winning the EFL Final compared to winning a CL Group game.

Yeah, if you want to compare losing, you get 50 grand as the EFL Cup runner up. I cant find anything that says how much you get in the CL Group stages for a defeat, nothing except home gate receipts if you're the home team?

For drawing a CL Group game you still get $1.1m, about 750 grand or 15 times the amout you get for being the EFL Cup runner up.

Can’t wait for Klopp to do his annual whinge about fixture congestion, using it as an excuse to throw the fa cup, again.  All the while playing strong sides in meaningless games cause it makes the yank scum more money that doesn’t get put back into the team.

just hurry up and get the super league shite going so I can fuck this soulless club off.