You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brighton (H) - Sat 30th Oct 2021 (3:00pm)

Trumo

1 minute ago, General Dryness said:

Fucking hell, you're like a little dog with a bone. The conversation was about the injury proneness of our players. I'm not sure where you're going with this. I think, as usual, you're slightly blinded by your overwhelming need to appear to be the bestest at knowing stuff about football.

What are you talking about? I'm not being funny; the numbers on paper matter. 

You can't just say "we have injury prone players and they don't". If we have 8 midfielders for 3 spots, those are more than enough on paper. If you decide to keep the ones that are injury prone, you won't buy more players because you'd simply have too many players. I was just comparing the numbers to Chelsea and they are at least equivalent on our end.

Just don't get involved if you're going to get annoyed by a very simple argument.

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Chris said:

Who knew allowing a never injured, incredibly consistent midfielder to leave for free – when his year early “replacement” never plays and others can’t stay fit or perform consistently – would cost us dearly?

Nobody could have predicted it. Just one of those things, really.

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

What are you talking about? I'm not being funny; the numbers on paper matter. 

You can't just say "we have injury prone players and they don't". If we have 8 midfielders for 3 spots, those are more than enough on paper. If you decide to keep the ones that are injury prone, you won't buy more players because you'd simply have too many players. I was just comparing the numbers to Chelsea and they are at least equivalent on our end.

Just don't get involved if you're going to get annoyed by a very simple argument.

"Do lots of words then accuse the other person of getting angry." Winner.

You post with the massive confidence of utter stupidity. I'm leaving it there because life is just too short and I have pancakes and bacon to make.

2 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

"Do lots of words then accuse the other person of getting angry." Winner.

You post with the massive confidence of utter stupidity. I'm leaving it there because life is just too short and I have pancakes and bacon to make.

How are you this annoyed? It was a simple conversation. Not only that, you initiated the conversation. How bizarre. 

3 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Ain’t winning many more with that midfield mate, it’s a major problem.

This is true, but how often are we even going to have to play that midfield?

I mean, granted, Ox, Jones and Hendo is soft, especially against opposition counters, and it led to them outplaying us in midfield today. But replace any of those players with Fabinho and we're fine. Even with just Keita in instead of Ox we were fine.

Today was like last season when we were five centre backs down and had a crisis in defense as a result. We had Elliott, Fabinho, Milner, Thiago, and then Keita out. The difference between this season and last season is that these injuries aren't long term. At least 3-4 of those players will be back in a game or two.

Firstly, fair fucks to Brighton for having a go, Potter is turning out to be a decent coach and from Klopp’s comments during the week, he rates him and the way his team plays, and no doubt it will have annoyed him that Brighton were able to play their game and be so effective, I don’t think anyone could deny Brighton deserving a point from today.

It’s always annoying when the likes of City drop points and we don’t fully capitalise, especially when we’ve been 2 goals to the good, and as for the disallowed Mane goal, not one Brighton player thought that was a handball, even the keeper, so if, technically, it was a handball then once again the law is being seen to be an ass.

I thought we were pretty much in control until Keita went off, and I never thought I’d say that at one stage of his career at Liverpool, but even before then, Firmino and Jones played with little positive effect to the team and often, forward momentum was halted by their tardiness and mistakes. When AOC came on it left Hendo fighting an increasingly losing battle in midfield and Brighton got a grip that didn’t drop until a couple of minutes from the end.

No team will do consistently well if a big part of one area of the squad is overly affected by absenteeism through injuries or suspensions, we don’t have to look too far to see how that pans out, so I fully expect the mistakes made last season in procrastinating over whether to strengthen will not be repeated, and if midfield continues to be badly affected then reinforcements should be identified and brought in at the earliest opportunity.

Having said that, we’re only 3 points behind Chelsea, so they’ll have to live with the pressure of leading the field and it’ll be interesting to see how that pans out, on the bright side we are a further point ahead of City, and as I believe every point will count this season then that’s a small bonus on a disappointing day.

• Upvote 1

Was sat in main stand upper today and fucking hell what is it with these cardboard trays full of nachos and a dip and a large drink with a straw like you see at the pictures?

Loads sitting with these things on their laps - loads coming back 5 mins late in 2nd half with them....and don't get me started on the amount of people off on an early dart and when i say early i mean from about 80 mins on.

2 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Being unbeaten is essentially meaningless though, isn't it. Draws are the real killer. That's why Chelsea are pulling clear of us despite having lost a match in the league.

Spot on! As has been the way since 3 points for a win came in, but moreso now in the day of the Oligarch's plaything!

If we carry on with our current results pattern we'll finish with 23 wins and 15 draws! Anybody think that 84 points wins the league?

Yeah me neither!

12 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

This is true, but how often are we even going to have to play that midfield?

I mean, granted, Ox, Jones and Hendo is soft, especially against opposition counters, and it led to them outplaying us in midfield today. But replace any of those players with Fabinho and we're fine. Even with just Keita in instead of Ox we were fine.

Today was like last season when we were five centre backs down and had a crisis in defense as a result. We had Elliott, Fabinho, Milner, Thiago, and then Keita out. The difference between this season and last season is that these injuries aren't long term. At least 3-4 of those players will be back in a game or two.

And probably out for a week or two again soon.

2 minutes ago, an tha said:

Was sat in main stand upper today and fucking hell what is it with these cardboard trays full of nachos and a dip and a large drink with a straw like you see at the pictures?

Loads sitting with these things on their laps - loads coming back 5 mins late in 2nd half with them....and don't get me started on the amount of people off on an early dart and when i say early i mean from about 80 mins on.

On the bright side, did you see the lad who come on the pitch after the game to hug Salah?

We have a big problem in midfield now. Keita, Thiago, Fabinho, Elliott and Milner all injured. Ox will no doubt be injured in the next few weeks. Hendo is struggling and Jones isn't ready to be a regular. We have too many crocks in midfield and really should have moved Keita and Ox on, and signed a replacement for Gini. As usual our tight arse owners do fuck all when its clear we need to strengthen the midfield.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, an tha said:

Ha

Saw the stewards chase someone right up pitch towards kop/kemlyn corner...assume that was him.

That was him. He got close to Salah before they noticed him, 6 of them swarmed around him and he left them all in the dust. It was like watching Owen against Dixon and Keown in Cardiff, he was gone.

11 minutes ago, Baltar said:

We have a big problem in midfield now. Keita, Thiago, Fabinho, Elliott and Milner all injured. Ox will no doubt be injured in the next few weeks. Hendo is struggling and Jones isn't ready to be a regular. We have too many crocks in midfield and really should have moved Keita and Ox on, and signed a replacement for Gini. As usual our tight arse owners do fuck all when its clear we need to strengthen the midfield.

The solution?

0E711CC5-597C-4A06-9F60-35EC318511BE.jpeg

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

That was him. He got close to Salah before they noticed him, 6 of them swarmed around him and he left them all in the dust. It was like watching Owen against Dixon and Keown in Cardiff, he was gone.

It was loudest ground had been all day too

7 minutes ago, torahboy said:

Three points clear with ten games played.  It's all over!

Spineless - and I'm not referring to the team.

Hahaa - what I type has no bearing on our team spirit. My opinion is just an early observation. It’s not set in stone.

1 hour ago, an tha said:

It was loudest ground had been all day too

Yeah I was surprised by that - specially the first half. Fan ambivalence? Or just an expectation of three hatricks for the front three and a clean sheet? 3pm on a Saturday blues? Who knows. 

2 hours ago, an tha said:

Not the only reason but this is one of the reasons I stopped going. 

2 hours ago, an tha said:

Good post

What has happened that people need to eat in the middle of the afternoon and are willing to miss 5 mins of the game for the privilege. 
Don’t get me started on people leaving early 

• Upvote 2