You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brighton (H) - Sat 30th Oct 2021 (3:00pm)

Trumo

2 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

In fairness, I don’t think anybody was making those points last Sunday evening. What’s changed in a week? 

Plenty were in the summer. Gini needed replaced, Keita and Ox needed moved on.

It's easy to not moan when it isn't costing us. But now it is and will continue to.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

Plenty were in the summer. Gini needed replaced, Keita and Ox needed moved on.

It's easy to not moan when it isn't costing us. But now it is and will continue to.

Agree completely on Gini. I don’t think we’re in any way out of the title race though. 

7 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Ok so you’re not interested in discussing. I’ll leave you to it.

I thought you were joking.

How many of our giant bucket of midfielders were available for selection today? And how many of those available were good enough to rely on? And how many of that bucket spend more time injured than not?

We were way too passive second half. I couldn't work out if it it was a lack of discipline and energy in midfield or whether we playing too deep in defence. Or both.

Either way it was shite. Disappointing result but a point more than we deserved.

As a side note, Konate's lack of effort in his running back on their second goal after mistakenly stepping up to play offside and leaving them 3v2 was embarrassing. Had he sprinted might have had a slight chance of affecting play. Instead he jogged and watched. 

Just now, El Rojo said:

Agree completely on Gini. I don’t think we’re in any way out of the title race though. 

If the injuries ease up, and quickly, then we could be ok. 

It's not as bad as last season as Gomez and VVD injuries were season ender's. But it's not looking great. Jones can be the weak link sometimes if it's just him and 2 starters. But we can't have 2 or 3 weak links in midfield.

4 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

In fairness, I don’t think anybody was making those points last Sunday evening. What’s changed in a week? 

It’s the modern fan base grown up on a diet of click bait headlines, Twitter and sky super Sunday. every game has to be a classic, nobody should ever beat us, every lost point is a catastrophe. I’m getting bored of it all now. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Johnlj said:

Henderson also now clearly have suffered the new contract syndrome. It's contageous being around Firmino it seems.

Shame there is no cure for the 150k plus per week bug.

He still had two years on his contract no idea why we caved in so easily considering his age.

8 minutes ago, Chris said:

Who knew allowing a never injured, incredibly consistent midfielder to leave for free – when his year early “replacement” never plays and others can’t stay fit or perform consistently – would cost us dearly?

Annoying isn’t it. It’s not even close to being hindsight either.  

We’ve dropped 6 points from winning positions this year that very likely don’t happen with said never injured, incredibly consistent midfielder on the pitch. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

Because supporters were shitting themselves. 

Really ?, He'd never been more than a 6/10 player. But he shouts alot and is by all accounts a good influence in the dressing room. He had one good season where he played well from I think November/December onwards. Injury prone and does not have any outstanding skills. He is slow. occasionally he comes up with something good like the pass to Salah. And the shot today, which to be fair probably was a failed floating cross. Really hopes he goes back to playing like that season. But it's more likely the salt is at the bottom of the bag, if it even is ready salted anymore.

4 minutes ago, Johnlj said:

Really ?, He'd never been more than a 6/10 player. But he shouts alot and is by all accounts a good influence in the dressing room. He had one good season where he played well from I think November/December onwards. Injury prone and does not have any outstanding skills. He is slow. occasionally he comes up with something good like the pass to Salah. And the shot today, which to be fair probably was a failed floating cross. Really hopes he goes back to playing like that season. But it's more likely the salt is at the bottom of the bag, if it even is ready salted anymore.

Supporters were cacking themselves at the thought of not extending both Gini and Hendo.

We're still second I think. Chelsea are 3 points ahead at the moment. Brighton seem to be a bit of a bogey team for us at the moment. Shite to give 2 points away after being 2 up but you'll have those days. Midfield is a problem though without Fab and Thiago. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, sir roger said:

We've just gone 25 games without defeat for the first time fir over 30 years , so while there are definitely worries to work on it's not desperation stakes at this point.

That is irrelevant because draws aren't much better than losses and we've had four of them. Two of them at least we should have won. 

By way of illustration if you draw every game of the season you will have 38 points. 

Its not desperation stakes but if our expectations are a title challenge it is concerning. 

9 minutes ago, Johnlj said:

I guess Klopp knows less than you do then hey ?  City with a squad that could put out 2 teams lost today to a Palace side we put 3 past and yet people on here are talking about us struggling to get 4th FFS. It was a bad day at the office , it happens people need to get over it. It's fucked my night up but I think I will get over it.

23 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

It’s the modern fan base grown up on a diet of click bait headlines, Twitter and sky super Sunday. every game has to be a classic, nobody should ever beat us, every lost point is a catastrophe. I’m getting bored of it all now. 

Or its that the league is so hard to win now that a few draw and you cant win it. So every bad result feels like throwing it away.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

I guess Klopp knows less than you do then hey ?  City with a squad that could put out 2 teams lost today to a Palace side we put 3 past and yet people on here are talking about us struggling to get 4th FFS. It was a bad day at the office , it happens people need to get over it. It's fucked my night up but I think I will get over it.

City had some doofus get sent off. Somethimg dumb like that happens to them once every 20 games and then they win the next 10 on the bounce.

We've been good a lot this season in attack but we're simply not consistent enough.

It’s a draw, possibly one more point than we deserved. We seemed blasé from the start of the second half and some weren’t putting a proper shift in, or it looked like it. The defence has developed a habit of switching off at times, it’s not always due to the midfield. Still, it’s not the end of the fucking world, there’s 27 games to go and we aren’t suddenly shite after being fantastic last week. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, sir roger said:

We've just gone 25 games without defeat for the first time fir over 30 years , so while there are definitely worries to work on it's not desperation stakes at this point.

Being unbeaten is essentially meaningless though, isn't it. Draws are the real killer. That's why Chelsea are pulling clear of us despite having lost a match in the league.