Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
dockers_strike

LG Oled or Hisense Qled tv?

LG Oled or Hisense Qled  

9 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Which would you buy?

    • LG OLED48A16LA 48 inch OLED 4K
      9
    • Hisense 50U7QFTUK 50 inch 4K Ultra
      0

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/11/21 at 13:25

Recommended Posts

On 29/10/2021 at 11:41, elvis said:

Good to see a bit of techie stuff surviving in the GF , I'd like to see the iptv thread shifted over here myself

I forget all about the tech forum to be honest. 

 

I'm thinking of replacing my 4 year old Sony 4k LED tv. The Android OS they run is buggy as fuck. The telly randomly reboots ( an android restart) and sometimes apps won't run and I need to unplug and restart. Nearly every time i need to use it I have to start fucking about and it takes 10 minutes before I get going. The picture is still ok and all that, but I missed a goal watching the match the other week because it just rebooted. I wouldn't mind replacing if i felt I was getting something incredibly different, but it doesn't feel I am (well except a more stable OS). I wish there was a way to run without android and just buy a fire stick or something. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Well, the Tosh finally gave up the ghost this morning when I tried to switch on. Even on stand by and trying didnt work so switched off at the mains and back on. Big mistake! Wont even go onto stand by now!

 

After a lot of deliberation and re examining the different tv technologies, Id decided Id have to make a purchase this coming week else risk missing out in the black friday rush.

 

'Early bird' BF deals just saw even what Id call old tech offered for sale.

 

So discussed the options with the old girl after Id narrowed it down (again!) to 2 tv's, the LG Nanocell 866PB and Samsung Neo QLED QN94A.

 

Decided on the Samsung at £945 with a couple of freebies chucked in that I'll see on fraudbay so final price should be sub £900. At least I didnt break my £1000 limit!

That's a decent price for the Samsung.

My lad's got an LG Nanocell, he wasn't too happy with it at first because of blooming issues in dark scenes, it was pretty bad to be honest, but after fiddling around with the settings and switching local dimming off completely it's much better. 

 

From what I can glean though, the Samsung Neo QLED is a cracking telly and one I'll be looking at myself once Christmas is out of the way. 

 

Just one thing to be aware of with the Samsungs, mine has an anti reflective coating on the screen and I would presume the new ones have the same. Make sure you read the guidelines about touching and cleaning the screen.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

That's a decent price for the Samsung.

My lad's got an LG Nanocell, he wasn't too happy with it at first because of blooming issues in dark scenes, it was pretty bad to be honest, but after fiddling around with the settings and switching local dimming off completely it's much better. 

 

From what I can glean though, the Samsung Neo QLED is a cracking telly and one I'll be looking at myself once Christmas is out of the way. 

 

Just one thing to be aware of with the Samsungs, mine has an anti reflective coating on the screen and I would presume the new ones have the same. Make sure you read the guidelines about touching and cleaning the screen.

Nice one. That's what kind of put me off the nanocell, the 'blooming' reports although to be honest, looking at the screen pictures via YT, the picture looked brilliant. We're not big film watchers so maybe the blooming wouldnt have been an issue for us?

 

Yeah, there's a couple of indies under the Euronics banner who have the Neo QLED N94 up for £945. It's got a black friday promise if they reduce the price before 26 November, they'll refund the difference. Im not expecting a price reduction but it's good to know if they do, I should get a bit more back! It's the 50" version as well but still a decent price.

 

Haha, my fucking Tosh has just turned itself on after about 4 hours of trying to get it come on!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Nice one. That's what kind of put me off the nanocell, the 'blooming' reports although to be honest, looking at the screen pictures via YT, the picture looked brilliant. We're not big film watchers so maybe the blooming wouldnt have been an issue for us?

 

Yeah, there's a couple of indies under the Euronics banner who have the Neo QLED N94 up for £945. It's got a black friday promise if they reduce the price before 26 November, they'll refund the difference. Im not expecting a price reduction but it's good to know if they do, I should get a bit more back! It's the 50" version as well but still a decent price.

 

Haha, my fucking Tosh has just turned itself on after about 4 hours of trying to get it come on!

 

 

It would. My lads was ridiculous. Having said that, his is the 806 not the 866, but I doubt there would be much difference.

You watch the Tosh work flawlessly up until your new telly arrives! 

Hope you're happy with your new telly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got an ancient Sony Bravia and am looking at a new TV. Can't be dropping a grand or anywhere near that to be honest, would rather be spending £400 at the most. Can you even get a TV now without an OS as I imagine they will all be shit for my budget and I already have a firestick?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Remmie said:

Got an ancient Sony Bravia and am looking at a new TV. Can't be dropping a grand or anywhere near that to be honest, would rather be spending £400 at the most. Can you even get a TV now without an OS as I imagine they will all be shit for my budget and I already have a firestick?

I think they're all 'Smart' tv's with their own OS now. You can still use your own firestick although I guess, there'd be some overlap with what's on the tv and stick?

 

Richer Sounds are doing this Samsung for £399. Id recommend looking at smaller chains like Richer or Euronics rather than Currys myself. Basically Id say look for a 2021 tv rather than 2020 and older as specs seem to change quite quickly. There again, Im no expert, just sharing some info!

 

https://www.richersounds.com/samsung-ue43au7100.html

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I think they're all 'Smart' tv's with their own OS now. You can still use your own firestick although I guess, there'd be some overlap with what's on the tv and stick?

 

Richer Sounds are doing this Samsung for £399. Id recommend looking at smaller chains like Richer or Euronics rather than Currys myself. Basically Id say look for a 2021 tv rather than 2020 and older as specs seem to change quite quickly. There again, Im no expert, just sharing some info!

 

https://www.richersounds.com/samsung-ue43au7100.html

Cheers, I'm holding out for black Friday and might do some boning up on what I want. Hotukdeals frequently post TV deals if anyone else is looking 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, my new Samsung QN94A 50" arrived yesterday. Given the old Tosh had a bezzle around the screen getting on for 2" wide, while the Samsung has virtually none, the 50" screen doesnt take up much more space than the old Tosh's 42".

 

Considering the size of the Samsung, it's a bit bizarre it's only connected to its foot stand with four M4 bolts! Still, I dont intend moving it around so it shouldnt go anywhere. The foot stand and back of the tv have a number of grooves that you're supposed to press the cables into as a form of cable management. Utter shit in my opinion and not worth the bother as the cables seemed to pop out of the groves too easily!

 

Set up was easy enough. Connect the Sky box (weird it presented the Sky box options only as Sky Q or SKy SD not, Sky HD+!), Roku and the digital aerial and follow the screen prompts.

 

You get 2 remotes, one a self charging 'smart' remote and another that looks like a bog standard remote with shit loads of buttons. I found a code on Sky to make the Sky HD+ remote switch on / off the tv and adjust the volume so the old girl doesnt get confused, bless her.

 

There's a fucking enormous number of settings for the picture and Im still messing about trying to get something we like.

 

If Im honest, some programmes look a tad 'washed out' even when viewing full square to the tv so, Im hoping it's because I havent found my preferred colour \ contrast \ brightness and other picture setting but am not sure.

 

Skin tones look good in a programme but then someone else in the same proggie looks pale. After spending most of yesterday and today making adjustments I wasnt happy with, I decided to hit the picture reset option. This seems to have made a massive improvement to the picture at least for now. The tv wasnt in Retail mode either.

 

Picture is pin sharp and on a couple of 'Black Friday' adverts on a black background with white text, there's no noticable 'blooming.' Still think the contrast needs tweaking a little but want a day or two's viewing before deciding.

 

Unlike the Tosh, the Samsung has a shiny screen that does reflect light from windows far more than the Tosh every did.

 

I was initially starting to think we'd made a mistake buying the tv due to picture issues but since hitting the reset button, is now more like what I imagined it would be.

 

I dont play video games so have no idea what it's like for gaming and gamers.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Well, my new Samsung QN94A 50" arrived yesterday. Given the old Tosh had a bezzle around the screen getting on for 2" wide, while the Samsung has virtually none, the 50" screen doesnt take up much more space than the old Tosh's 42".

 

Considering the size of the Samsung, it's a bit bizarre it's only connected to its foot stand with four M4 bolts! Still, I dont intend moving it around so it shouldnt go anywhere. The foot stand and back of the tv have a number of grooves that you're supposed to press the cables into as a form of cable management. Utter shit in my opinion and not worth the bother as the cables seemed to pop out of the groves too easily!

 

Set up was easy enough. Connect the Sky box (weird it presented the Sky box options only as Sky Q or SKy SD not, Sky HD+!), Roku and the digital aerial and follow the screen prompts.

 

You get 2 remotes, one a self charging 'smart' remote and another that looks like a bog standard remote with shit loads of buttons. I found a code on Sky to make the Sky HD+ remote switch on / off the tv and adjust the volume so the old girl doesnt get confused, bless her.

 

There's a fucking enormous number of settings for the picture and Im still messing about trying to get something we like.

 

If Im honest, some programmes look a tad 'washed out' even when viewing full square to the tv so, Im hoping it's because I havent found my preferred colour \ contrast \ brightness and other picture setting but am not sure.

 

Skin tones look good in a programme but then someone else in the same proggie looks pale. After spending most of yesterday and today making adjustments I wasnt happy with, I decided to hit the picture reset option. This seems to have made a massive improvement to the picture at least for now. The tv wasnt in Retail mode either.

 

Picture is pin sharp and on a couple of 'Black Friday' adverts on a black background with white text, there's no noticable 'blooming.' Still think the contrast needs tweaking a little but want a day or two's viewing before deciding.

 

Unlike the Tosh, the Samsung has a shiny screen that does reflect light from windows far more than the Tosh every did.

 

I was initially starting to think we'd made a mistake buying the tv due to picture issues but since hitting the reset button, is now more like what I imagined it would be.

 

I dont play video games so have no idea what it's like for gaming and gamers.

 

 

The movie setting is usually the most accurate out of the box, then it's just a matter of adjusting the brightness and contrast.

 

Your best bet is doing a quick search online for the best settings for motion, sharpness etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

The movie setting is usually the most accurate out of the box, then it's just a matter of adjusting the brightness and contrast.

 

Your best bet is doing a quick search online for the best settings for motion, sharpness etc.

Yeah, good advice and been doing that. Got 2 or 3 YTs with 'best settings' so am on the first with a few personal tweaks to see how that looks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I need a new television, something with a massive screen. I’m thinking of buying the Hitachi 26” Slimline Teletext TV. Has anyone got one?. I must say, it looks pretty fucking impressive. The full function infra-red remote control sounds ace. I’m a litle bit concerned about the picture quality, though. It says the 22” Matsui has a “true-to-life colour picture”, I wonder if that’s the case for the Hitachi.

 

C0C182F6-3646-4DA8-8743-29A4EFCA8BAF.jpeg

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

I need a new television, something with a massive screen. I’m thinking of buying the Hitachi 26” Slimline Teletext TV. Has anyone got one?. I must say, it looks pretty fucking impressive. The full function infra-red remote control sounds ace. I’m a litle bit concerned about the picture quality, though. It says the 22” Matsui has a “true-to-life colour picture”, I wonder if that’s the case for the Hitachi.

 

C0C182F6-3646-4DA8-8743-29A4EFCA8BAF.jpeg

Ive got an old toshiba if you want one, Tony? Takes a bit of time to switch on like but once it does, it's got a good picture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

I need a new television, something with a massive screen. I’m thinking of buying the Hitachi 26” Slimline Teletext TV. Has anyone got one?. I must say, it looks pretty fucking impressive. The full function infra-red remote control sounds ace. I’m a litle bit concerned about the picture quality, though. It says the 22” Matsui has a “true-to-life colour picture”, I wonder if that’s the case for the Hitachi.

 

C0C182F6-3646-4DA8-8743-29A4EFCA8BAF.jpeg

Fuckin Tory! Stick to a Hinari Black and White like me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d love to try an OLED but the screen burn worry keeps stopping me from pulling the trigger on one. John Lewis have an extended warranty thing which apparently covers it for an extra £140.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brownie said:

I’d love to try an OLED but the screen burn worry keeps stopping me from pulling the trigger on one. John Lewis have an extended warranty thing which apparently covers it for an extra £140.

I've just looked that up. It's called Protect Plus and it does indeed cover screen burn.

It's the first time I've ever seen a warranty that covers it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Brownie said:

I’d love to try an OLED but the screen burn worry keeps stopping me from pulling the trigger on one. John Lewis have an extended warranty thing which apparently covers it for an extra £140.

 

51 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

I've just looked that up. It's called Protect Plus and it does indeed cover screen burn.

It's the first time I've ever seen a warranty that covers it.

Samsung are currently giving a free 10 year screen burn guarantee on tv's. I think it's a special offer though. As they say,T&C's apply.

 

Edit, this is the correct link

https://my-samsung.com/uk/mysamsung/offers/#/MLYQL2WGD8WHQ/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

 

Samsung are currently giving a free 10 year screen burn guarantee on tv's. I think it's a special offer though. As they say,T&C's apply.

 

https://api.my-samsung.com/UploadImages/terms/TermsConditionsGeneral_2080.pdf

 

I'm surprised this issue still exists so long into the HD and Smart TV era. It seems it's been around for years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I'm surprised this issue still exists so long into the HD and Smart TV era. It seems it's been around for years.

To be fair, it existed on old cathode ray tubes as well if a static image was shown long enough.

 

I think the tv's now have this screen movement and pixel refresh that lessens it but the one thing manufacturers cannot control is what the owner views nor how high they have the colour, contrast and brightness turned up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair, you should be able to watch whatever you want and have it as bright as the TV allows otherwise why would they design it that way? if they are saying that you should only have it at a certain brightness then why do they allow it to go brighter?!

 

I have my Samsung on 10 (out of 20) for the backlight and also half way for brightness. When it notices HDR content it whacks the backlight up to 20 and the content looks amazing (especially the f******* which Sky started broadcasting in HDR this season).

 

If I wanted the backlight permanently at 20 and brightness at its highest, I should be able to do that without any issue otherwise it's a design flaw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

 

Samsung are currently giving a free 10 year screen burn guarantee on tv's. I think it's a special offer though. As they say,T&C's apply.

 

Edit, this is the correct link

https://my-samsung.com/uk/mysamsung/offers/#/MLYQL2WGD8WHQ/

 

Yeah, I got that with mine. This is what I was on about with the OLED's. The manufacturers don't cover screen burn.

 

I've looked for further information on the John Lewis screen burn warranty and from what I could glean, it's subject to terms and conditions. What those are exactly I don't know, but seeing as it's an insurance policy, I imagine there would be plenty of clauses for them to be able to wriggle out of it.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Ive got an old toshiba if you want one, Tony? Takes a bit of time to switch on like but once it does, it's got a good picture.

Hello Tone, got a Toshiba? Hello Tone, got a Toshiba?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Available Subscriptions

  • Latest Round Up

  • Last Match Report

  • Popular Contributors

  • Posts

    • I fully endorse a hard fought kicking match!   Be difficult for Spurs to offer less than they did in the League Cup games.
    • https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/rhys-williams-recalled-swansea-loan-spell
    • Exactly right , Moo , since the start of 2017 there have been19 slams ,Osaka has won 3 , Barty 2 ,and the other 14 have been won by 14 different ladies , so the thought she was going to start winning every GS match is pie in the sky. Good luck to her going forward.
    • It almost felt like Chelsea’s trip to City on Saturday was the last throw of the dice for Chelsea and for us in the title race.   If Chelsea could have won then game back on, but if they lost then they were definitely out of it and it would make our task look quite insurmountable too. And unfortunately, Chelsea did lose. And they barely went down with a whimper.   I don’t usually watch City but this was one I felt I needed to tune in to. I switched off as soon as City scored because it was clear the way Chelsea were playing there was never going to be any way back if they conceded. And with Kepa in goal that was always likely.   De Bruyne’s goal was quality but it wasn’t right in the corner and a better keeper saves it. Kepa took a step to his right and then couldn’t get back across. Mendy going to AFCON has fucked Chelsea over there. Well, spending a world record fee on a below average keeper is the thing that fucked them most, but I’m splitting hairs.   I’m not going to waste any time even talking about City. Fuck them and their cheating ways. I’ll just focus on Chelsea because they’re one of the teams we are competing with and that we should measure ourselves up against. As I keep saying, if you’re up against Lance Armstrong in the Tour de France and you’re not on the roids, then you should measure yourself against the other clean cyclists rather than the doped up cheating cunt.   Not that Chelsea are ‘clean’ exactly, but you know what I mean. Compared to City they’re sparkling white. They’re in a really bad run though and I thought they were pathetic in this game, which was actually there for the taking if they’d been braver. By that I don’t even mean throwing men forward. Just passing it forward occasionally would have helped.   Fuck me, it was infuriating. I know Tuchel beat City a couple of times playing defensively but this was never going to get it done. Why pick Lukaku if you’re going to play like that? He isn’t blameless as he missed a great chance, but overall I felt sorry for him and I’ve done a complete 180 on the comments he made the other week that got him in trouble with Tuchel.   Having watched him make countless runs in behind, pointing where he wanted the ball only to then have to stop and come back onside because no cunt would pass to him, I’m 100% on Lukaku’s side now. He could have destroyed City if his team-mates had actually passed to him.   Honestly, I counted at least half a dozen times when Chelsea had the ball between the lines and City were in trouble. Their high line was there to be exploited with the ball into the space and Lukaku was constantly between the two centre backs pointing into the space where he wanted it. And almost every time they went sideways or backwards and let City reset.   No fucking wonder he wants to be back at Inter. I don’t blame him at all, especially as he didn’t want to leave there in the first place. Why the fuck did Tuchel select that Ziyech turd? And why did he leave him on as long as he did? It was infuriating because that was a game Chelsea could have won, but they beat themselves in the end   Their results have nosedived since they lost Chilwell and then James. You’d think they’d have the quality to cope with that and on paper they certainly have, but the results speak for themselves. They were flying and then they started spluttering.      This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article   Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £3 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 
    • 2 years, not a bad run though. Half a snicker at today's sizes won't be worth having. My HR manager told me that as my job wasn't office based I needed to spend a couple of days working from home for tax reasons, I chose Friday and Monday, loved it.
×