You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

LG Oled or Hisense Qled tv?

dockers_strike

LG Oled or Hisense Qled  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you buy?

• LG OLED48A16LA 48 inch OLED 4K
    • Hisense 50U7QFTUK 50 inch 4K Ultra

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/11/21 at 13:25

Our old Toshiba tv is getting on my tits. It's developed a fault and takes many attempts to switch on whether you use the bespoke remote, the Sky remote or the on off button on the side. It must be over 10 year old and isnt full HD being 720p or something and I consider I need to treat ourselves to something better.

It's time for something a bit more upto date that I can plug into the net without using the Roku but, there are criteria Ive got to stick with.

Max affordable price is £1000 but I really want to be well under that.

Size is an absolute maximum 50" to fit the alcove. The old girl thinks 50" is too big because the Tosh is only 42" but she isnt buying it so, ha!

Im not a gamer so dont need a tv with enhanced gaming features or one a gamer would select to play games on.

Although the Toshiba is a Japanese brand, I dont want to buy another or a Sony, Panasonic, JVC

I realise max budget serverely limits the chance of getting an OLED tv but, Ive narrowed my choice down to 3 tvs. 2 are essentially the same just one's a 43" while the other is 50"

These are the

LG OLED48A16LA 48 inch OLED 4K available from Richer Sounds for £899. It has a (seemingly) good spec

https://www.richersounds.com/lg-oled48a16la.html

Hisense 50 Inch 50A7GQTUK 4K UHD HDR QLED Freeview TV, available from AO and elsewhere for £449.

Hisense 43 Inch 43A7GQTUK 4K UHD HDR QLED Freeview TV, available from AO and elsewhere for £449.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/hisense-50a7gqtuk-50-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-qled-tv-with-alexa-google-assistant-10223228-pdt.html

Both have enough HDMI ports and both support HDMI ARC although the Hisense supports eARC. Oled supposedly gives the best quality picture although Ive read can be prone to screen burn or image retention if you're not careful. Oddly, the smaller Hisense costs the same as the 50" version!

Considering the LG Oled has a £400 premium on it, is the 'best picture' worth the extra or should I go for the 50" Hisense? Which would you go for and why?

Looking forward to the comments!

• Downvote 1

Hisense have motion issues. The LG OLED has a superb picture but the one we had developed screen burn inside 2 years.

Sky News, Sky Sports News were the cause, so if you limit your viewing of channels with a fixed image or a News ticker you should be ok, but if you watch these channels a lot, beware because screen burn isn't covered by the warranty.

• Upvote 1

Same with screen burn due to Sky news on my OLED.

Looking at upgrading myself and spent a bit of time researching.

Very Basically it seems;

OLED is a better picture overall but not noticeable unless side by side. Less motion blur on sports/fast moving. Better for dark colours, no back lights so black is black.

You will pay more for an OLED, they are also thinner, so look better for hanging on the wall.

QLED is better for a room that has sun light come into it. Due to back lit panels, so able to cope with brightness.

Edit: wider viewing angle with OLed compared to Q.

I also use Techradar as my go to website, find them informative and honest reviews 

11 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Same with screen burn due to Sky news on my OLED.

Looking at upgrading myself and spent a bit of time researching.

Very Basically it seems;

OLED is a better picture overall but not noticeable unless side by side. Less motion blur on sports/fast moving. Better for dark colours, no back lights so black is black.

You will pay more for an OLED, they are also thinner, so look better for hanging on the wall.

QLED is better for a room that has sun light come into it. Due to back lit panels, so able to cope with brightness.

I also use Techradar as my go to website, find them informative and honest reviews 

Tech Radar, AV forums is another good one.

I replaced my OLED with a Samsung QLED. No screen burn concerns with them. 

The picture isn't as concise as the OLED, but it's  good enough.

Richer Sounds have got a decent deal on the Samsung Mini LED sets atm, but the smallest one they do is 55in. Good reviews on it too.

29 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

Bought the 55" LG OLED this year. Really pleased with it. Don't think screen burn is a problem now. Got better reviews than QLED.

The picture on them second to none, it really is superb. My LG OLED had screenshift, pixel refresher etc and still developed screen burn or image retention whatever you want to call it.

I'd love another OLED but until LG guarantee against screen burn like Samsung have with the QLED's, I can't see me getting one.

5 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Our old Toshiba tv is getting on my tits. It's developed a fault and takes many attempts to switch on whether you use the bespoke remote, the Sky remote or the on off button on the side. It must be over 10 year old and isnt full HD being 720p or something and I consider I need to treat ourselves to something better.

It's time for something a bit more upto date that I can plug into the net without using the Roku but, there are criteria Ive got to stick with.

Size is an absolute maximum 50" to fit the alcove. The old girl thinks 50" is too big because the Tosh is only 42" but she isnt buying it so, ha!

Im not a gamer so dont need a tv with enhanced gaming features or one a gamer would select to play games on.

Although the Toshiba is a Japanese brand, I dont want to buy another or a Sony, Panasonic, JVC

I realise max budget serverely limits the chance of getting an OLED tv but, Ive narrowed my choice down to 3 tvs. 2 are essentially the same just one's a 43" while the other is 50"

These are the

LG OLED48A16LA 48 inch OLED 4K available from Richer Sounds for £899. It has a (seemingly) good spec

Hisense 50 Inch 50A7GQTUK 4K UHD HDR QLED Freeview TV, available from AO and elsewhere for £449.

Hisense 43 Inch 43A7GQTUK 4K UHD HDR QLED Freeview TV, available from AO and elsewhere for £449.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/hisense-50a7gqtuk-50-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-qled-tv-with-alexa-google-assistant-10223228-pdt.html

Both have enough HDMI ports and both support HDMI ARC although the Hisense supports eARC. Oled supposedly gives the best quality picture although Ive read can be prone to screen burn or image retention if you're not careful. Oddly, the smaller Hisense costs the same as the 50" version!

Considering the LG Oled has a £400 premium on it, is the 'best picture' worth the extra or should I go for the 50" Hisense? Which would you go for and why?

Just spotted this on the Costco website. It's not a recommendation, but it might be worth a look.

https://www.costco.co.uk/Electronics-Security/Televisions-Projectors/Televisions/Samsung-QE50Q65TAUXXU-50-Inch-QLED-4K-Ultra-HD-Smart-TV/p/374846

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

The picture on them second to none, it really is superb. My LG OLED had screenshift, pixel refresher etc and still developed screen burn or image retention whatever you want to call it.

I'd love another OLED but until LG guarantee against screen burn like Samsung have with the QLED's, I can't see me getting one.

Didn't know that.

Does my head in going through the reviews.

14 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

Just spotted this on the Costco website. It's not a recommendation, but it might be worth a look.

https://www.costco.co.uk/Electronics-Security/Televisions-Projectors/Televisions/Samsung-QE50Q65TAUXXU-50-Inch-QLED-4K-Ultra-HD-Smart-TV/p/374846

Thanks for that. Thing about Samsungs is they dont feature dobly vision and marks them down in reviews. Their OS is always said to be 'not the best' in reviews. I'll do a bit more research on them.

2 hours ago, DalyanPete said:

Didn't know that.

Does my head in going through the reviews.

Some of the reviews do my head in. I just want a plain reading review that tells me what and how good the features are, the pros and cons etc rather than 'gamuts' and calibration accuracy you cant change unless you have the right equipment etc.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

Thanks for that. Thing about Samsungs is they dont feature dobly vision and marks them down in reviews. Their OS is always said to be 'not the best' in reviews. I'll do a bit more research on them.

Some of the reviews do my head in. I just want a plain reading review that tells me what and how good the features are, the pros and cons etc rather than 'gamuts' and calibration accuracy you cant change unless you have the right equipment etc.

Agree about the lack of Dolby Vision, it makes no sense at all. Samsung let themselves down with that.

They use HDR 10+ which is still pretty decent.

As far as calibration is concerned, there is usually information online for the best settings without going into the likes of Gamma etc too much and if you get it wrong you can easily go back to the default settings.

When it comes to telly's, as with most things, you get what you pay for.

That's not to say there aren't some hidden gems, you just have to bide your time to find them.

Talking about biding time, it's Black Friday in a few weeks, hopefully there should be some good deals then.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Harry's Lad said:

Agree about the lack of Dolby Vision, it makes no sense at all. Samsung let themselves down with that.

They use HDR 10+ which is still pretty decent.

As far as calibration is concerned, there is usually information online for the best settings without going into the likes of Gamma etc too much and if you get it wrong you can easily go back to the default settings.

When it comes to telly's, as with most things, you get what you pay for.

That's not to say there aren't some hidden gems, you just have to bide your time to find them.

Talking about biding time, it's Black Friday in a few weeks, hopefully there should be some good deals then.

Yeah, Im kind of hoping the Tosh manages to keep going until the Black Friday \ Cyber Monday sales. Once it's switched on, it functions ok, it's just getting the bastard to switch on.

Ive noticed Richer Sounds have reduced the price of the 43" Hisense by 50 quid to £399. Bit daft it was the same price as the 50".

Ive seen some reports about the motion issues previously mentioned with Hisense but the latest reviews dont mention it. This A7G is a 2021 model so maybe they've worked to correct it?

There's a bit of footie in this review and have to say, the picture looks very good. Id probably go for an LG OLED but it's getting to the top of my price bracket and the screen burn issue concerns me. Ive seen reports saying it isnt an issue unless..... That suggests it's still an issue.

11 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Yeah, Im kind of hoping the Tosh manages to keep going until the Black Friday \ Cyber Monday sales. Once it's switched on, it functions ok, it's just getting the bastard to switch on.

Ive noticed Richer Sounds have reduced the price of the 43" Hisense by 50 quid to £399. Bit daft it was the same price as the 50".

Ive seen some reports about the motion issues previously mentioned with Hisense but the latest reviews dont mention it. This A7G is a 2021 model so maybe they've worked to correct it?

There's a bit of footie in this review and have to say, the picture looks very good. Id probably go for an LG OLED but it's getting to the top of my price bracket and the screen burn issue concerns me. Ive seen reports saying it isnt an issue unless..... That suggests it's still an issue.

There's a fella called Darko on YouTube who calibrates telly's and gives his opinion on them. He might have had a go at the Hisense you mention.

• Upvote 1

OLED all day every day. You'd want to be very unlucky to suffer from screenburn these days.

On 28/10/2021 at 15:44, Harry's Lad said:

Tech Radar, AV forums is another good one.

I replaced my OLED with a Samsung QLED. No screen burn concerns with them. 

The picture isn't as concise as the OLED, but it's  good enough.

Richer Sounds have got a decent deal on the Samsung Mini LED sets atm, but the smallest one they do is 55in. Good reviews on it too.

The bit in bold is the kicker.

OLED has a better picture.

There's a very small chance you'll get screenburn.

But it's 100% certain that if you don't get an OLED, you'll definitely be watching an inferior picture every day for years!

I recently upgraded my 65" C6 OLED to a 65" C1 OLED. Will never buy anything less going forward.

12 minutes ago, Lario said:

OLED all day every day. You'd want to be very unlucky to suffer from screenburn these days.

The bit in bold is the kicker.

OLED has a better picture.

There's a very small chance you'll get screenburn.

But it's 100% certain that if you don't get an OLED, you'll definitely be watching an inferior picture every day for years!

I recently upgraded my 65" C6 OLED to a 65" C1 OLED. Will never buy anything less going forward.

It's a bit more than a small chance of you watch a lot of news. Yes the picture on OLED sets is superior, I loved mine, but no matter what the manufacturer says, if they refuse to back it up by including screen burn in the warranty, then that speaks volumes to me.

Mine was wrecked inside two years, unwatchable due to screen burn and £1800 was wasted. Obviously if you can afford to take a hit like that, fair enough. I can't.

The picture on the Samsung Q85R I've got now is very good, not OLED standard, but very good nonetheless, but if I can get a good enough deal, I'll be replacing it with one of the new Samsung mini led sets which are much more on par with the OLED's, minus the risk, and putting this one upstairs to replace an ageing Sony.

On 28/10/2021 at 15:06, dockers_strike said:

These are the

If you've got your heart set on the LG OLED, I've just seen an advert for Curry's where the 48" version is on sale for £799.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

If you've got your heart set on the LG OLED, I've just seen an advert for Curry's where the 48" version is on sale for £799.

Well, the Tosh finally gave up the ghost this morning when I tried to switch on. Even on stand by and trying didnt work so switched off at the mains and back on. Big mistake! Wont even go onto stand by now!

After a lot of deliberation and re examining the different tv technologies, Id decided Id have to make a purchase this coming week else risk missing out in the black friday rush.

'Early bird' BF deals just saw even what Id call old tech offered for sale.

So discussed the options with the old girl after Id narrowed it down (again!) to 2 tv's, the LG Nanocell 866PB and Samsung Neo QLED QN94A.

Decided on the Samsung at £945 with a couple of freebies chucked in that I'll see on fraudbay so final price should be sub £900. At least I didnt break my £1000 limit!