You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

LG Oled or Hisense Qled tv?

dockers_strike

LG Oled or Hisense Qled  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you buy?

• LG OLED48A16LA 48 inch OLED 4K
    • Hisense 50U7QFTUK 50 inch 4K Ultra

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/11/21 at 13:25

On 29/10/2021 at 11:41, elvis said:

Good to see a bit of techie stuff surviving in the GF , I'd like to see the iptv thread shifted over here myself

I forget all about the tech forum to be honest. 

I'm thinking of replacing my 4 year old Sony 4k LED tv. The Android OS they run is buggy as fuck. The telly randomly reboots ( an android restart) and sometimes apps won't run and I need to unplug and restart. Nearly every time i need to use it I have to start fucking about and it takes 10 minutes before I get going. The picture is still ok and all that, but I missed a goal watching the match the other week because it just rebooted. I wouldn't mind replacing if i felt I was getting something incredibly different, but it doesn't feel I am (well except a more stable OS). I wish there was a way to run without android and just buy a fire stick or something. 

25 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Well, the Tosh finally gave up the ghost this morning when I tried to switch on. Even on stand by and trying didnt work so switched off at the mains and back on. Big mistake! Wont even go onto stand by now!

After a lot of deliberation and re examining the different tv technologies, Id decided Id have to make a purchase this coming week else risk missing out in the black friday rush.

'Early bird' BF deals just saw even what Id call old tech offered for sale.

So discussed the options with the old girl after Id narrowed it down (again!) to 2 tv's, the LG Nanocell 866PB and Samsung Neo QLED QN94A.

Decided on the Samsung at £945 with a couple of freebies chucked in that I'll see on fraudbay so final price should be sub £900. At least I didnt break my £1000 limit!

That's a decent price for the Samsung.

My lad's got an LG Nanocell, he wasn't too happy with it at first because of blooming issues in dark scenes, it was pretty bad to be honest, but after fiddling around with the settings and switching local dimming off completely it's much better. 

From what I can glean though, the Samsung Neo QLED is a cracking telly and one I'll be looking at myself once Christmas is out of the way. 

Just one thing to be aware of with the Samsungs, mine has an anti reflective coating on the screen and I would presume the new ones have the same. Make sure you read the guidelines about touching and cleaning the screen.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

That's a decent price for the Samsung.

My lad's got an LG Nanocell, he wasn't too happy with it at first because of blooming issues in dark scenes, it was pretty bad to be honest, but after fiddling around with the settings and switching local dimming off completely it's much better. 

From what I can glean though, the Samsung Neo QLED is a cracking telly and one I'll be looking at myself once Christmas is out of the way. 

Just one thing to be aware of with the Samsungs, mine has an anti reflective coating on the screen and I would presume the new ones have the same. Make sure you read the guidelines about touching and cleaning the screen.

Nice one. That's what kind of put me off the nanocell, the 'blooming' reports although to be honest, looking at the screen pictures via YT, the picture looked brilliant. We're not big film watchers so maybe the blooming wouldnt have been an issue for us?

Yeah, there's a couple of indies under the Euronics banner who have the Neo QLED N94 up for £945. It's got a black friday promise if they reduce the price before 26 November, they'll refund the difference. Im not expecting a price reduction but it's good to know if they do, I should get a bit more back! It's the 50" version as well but still a decent price.

Haha, my fucking Tosh has just turned itself on after about 4 hours of trying to get it come on!

18 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Nice one. That's what kind of put me off the nanocell, the 'blooming' reports although to be honest, looking at the screen pictures via YT, the picture looked brilliant. We're not big film watchers so maybe the blooming wouldnt have been an issue for us?

Yeah, there's a couple of indies under the Euronics banner who have the Neo QLED N94 up for £945. It's got a black friday promise if they reduce the price before 26 November, they'll refund the difference. Im not expecting a price reduction but it's good to know if they do, I should get a bit more back! It's the 50" version as well but still a decent price.

Haha, my fucking Tosh has just turned itself on after about 4 hours of trying to get it come on!

It would. My lads was ridiculous. Having said that, his is the 806 not the 866, but I doubt there would be much difference.

You watch the Tosh work flawlessly up until your new telly arrives! 

Hope you're happy with your new telly.

Got an ancient Sony Bravia and am looking at a new TV. Can't be dropping a grand or anywhere near that to be honest, would rather be spending £400 at the most. Can you even get a TV now without an OS as I imagine they will all be shit for my budget and I already have a firestick?

4 hours ago, Remmie said:

Got an ancient Sony Bravia and am looking at a new TV. Can't be dropping a grand or anywhere near that to be honest, would rather be spending £400 at the most. Can you even get a TV now without an OS as I imagine they will all be shit for my budget and I already have a firestick?

I think they're all 'Smart' tv's with their own OS now. You can still use your own firestick although I guess, there'd be some overlap with what's on the tv and stick?

Richer Sounds are doing this Samsung for £399. Id recommend looking at smaller chains like Richer or Euronics rather than Currys myself. Basically Id say look for a 2021 tv rather than 2020 and older as specs seem to change quite quickly. There again, Im no expert, just sharing some info!

https://www.richersounds.com/samsung-ue43au7100.html

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I think they're all 'Smart' tv's with their own OS now. You can still use your own firestick although I guess, there'd be some overlap with what's on the tv and stick?

Richer Sounds are doing this Samsung for £399. Id recommend looking at smaller chains like Richer or Euronics rather than Currys myself. Basically Id say look for a 2021 tv rather than 2020 and older as specs seem to change quite quickly. There again, Im no expert, just sharing some info!

https://www.richersounds.com/samsung-ue43au7100.html

Cheers, I'm holding out for black Friday and might do some boning up on what I want. Hotukdeals frequently post TV deals if anyone else is looking 

Well, my new Samsung QN94A 50" arrived yesterday. Given the old Tosh had a bezzle around the screen getting on for 2" wide, while the Samsung has virtually none, the 50" screen doesnt take up much more space than the old Tosh's 42".

Considering the size of the Samsung, it's a bit bizarre it's only connected to its foot stand with four M4 bolts! Still, I dont intend moving it around so it shouldnt go anywhere. The foot stand and back of the tv have a number of grooves that you're supposed to press the cables into as a form of cable management. Utter shit in my opinion and not worth the bother as the cables seemed to pop out of the groves too easily!

Set up was easy enough. Connect the Sky box (weird it presented the Sky box options only as Sky Q or SKy SD not, Sky HD+!), Roku and the digital aerial and follow the screen prompts.

You get 2 remotes, one a self charging 'smart' remote and another that looks like a bog standard remote with shit loads of buttons. I found a code on Sky to make the Sky HD+ remote switch on / off the tv and adjust the volume so the old girl doesnt get confused, bless her.

There's a fucking enormous number of settings for the picture and Im still messing about trying to get something we like.

If Im honest, some programmes look a tad 'washed out' even when viewing full square to the tv so, Im hoping it's because I havent found my preferred colour \ contrast \ brightness and other picture setting but am not sure.

Skin tones look good in a programme but then someone else in the same proggie looks pale. After spending most of yesterday and today making adjustments I wasnt happy with, I decided to hit the picture reset option. This seems to have made a massive improvement to the picture at least for now. The tv wasnt in Retail mode either.

Picture is pin sharp and on a couple of 'Black Friday' adverts on a black background with white text, there's no noticable 'blooming.' Still think the contrast needs tweaking a little but want a day or two's viewing before deciding.

Unlike the Tosh, the Samsung has a shiny screen that does reflect light from windows far more than the Tosh every did.

I was initially starting to think we'd made a mistake buying the tv due to picture issues but since hitting the reset button, is now more like what I imagined it would be.

I dont play video games so have no idea what it's like for gaming and gamers.

3 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Well, my new Samsung QN94A 50" arrived yesterday. Given the old Tosh had a bezzle around the screen getting on for 2" wide, while the Samsung has virtually none, the 50" screen doesnt take up much more space than the old Tosh's 42".

Considering the size of the Samsung, it's a bit bizarre it's only connected to its foot stand with four M4 bolts! Still, I dont intend moving it around so it shouldnt go anywhere. The foot stand and back of the tv have a number of grooves that you're supposed to press the cables into as a form of cable management. Utter shit in my opinion and not worth the bother as the cables seemed to pop out of the groves too easily!

Set up was easy enough. Connect the Sky box (weird it presented the Sky box options only as Sky Q or SKy SD not, Sky HD+!), Roku and the digital aerial and follow the screen prompts.

You get 2 remotes, one a self charging 'smart' remote and another that looks like a bog standard remote with shit loads of buttons. I found a code on Sky to make the Sky HD+ remote switch on / off the tv and adjust the volume so the old girl doesnt get confused, bless her.

There's a fucking enormous number of settings for the picture and Im still messing about trying to get something we like.

If Im honest, some programmes look a tad 'washed out' even when viewing full square to the tv so, Im hoping it's because I havent found my preferred colour \ contrast \ brightness and other picture setting but am not sure.

Skin tones look good in a programme but then someone else in the same proggie looks pale. After spending most of yesterday and today making adjustments I wasnt happy with, I decided to hit the picture reset option. This seems to have made a massive improvement to the picture at least for now. The tv wasnt in Retail mode either.

Picture is pin sharp and on a couple of 'Black Friday' adverts on a black background with white text, there's no noticable 'blooming.' Still think the contrast needs tweaking a little but want a day or two's viewing before deciding.

Unlike the Tosh, the Samsung has a shiny screen that does reflect light from windows far more than the Tosh every did.

I was initially starting to think we'd made a mistake buying the tv due to picture issues but since hitting the reset button, is now more like what I imagined it would be.

I dont play video games so have no idea what it's like for gaming and gamers.

The movie setting is usually the most accurate out of the box, then it's just a matter of adjusting the brightness and contrast.

Your best bet is doing a quick search online for the best settings for motion, sharpness etc.

19 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

The movie setting is usually the most accurate out of the box, then it's just a matter of adjusting the brightness and contrast.

Your best bet is doing a quick search online for the best settings for motion, sharpness etc.

Yeah, good advice and been doing that. Got 2 or 3 YTs with 'best settings' so am on the first with a few personal tweaks to see how that looks.

• 2 weeks later...

I need a new television, something with a massive screen. I’m thinking of buying the Hitachi 26” Slimline Teletext TV. Has anyone got one?. I must say, it looks pretty fucking impressive. The full function infra-red remote control sounds ace. I’m a litle bit concerned about the picture quality, though. It says the 22” Matsui has a “true-to-life colour picture”, I wonder if that’s the case for the Hitachi.

C0C182F6-3646-4DA8-8743-29A4EFCA8BAF.jpeg

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

I need a new television, something with a massive screen. I’m thinking of buying the Hitachi 26” Slimline Teletext TV. Has anyone got one?. I must say, it looks pretty fucking impressive. The full function infra-red remote control sounds ace. I’m a litle bit concerned about the picture quality, though. It says the 22” Matsui has a “true-to-life colour picture”, I wonder if that’s the case for the Hitachi.

Ive got an old toshiba if you want one, Tony? Takes a bit of time to switch on like but once it does, it's got a good picture.

13 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

Fuckin Tory! Stick to a Hinari Black and White like me.

1 hour ago, Brownie said:

I’d love to try an OLED but the screen burn worry keeps stopping me from pulling the trigger on one. John Lewis have an extended warranty thing which apparently covers it for an extra £140.

I've just looked that up. It's called Protect Plus and it does indeed cover screen burn.

It's the first time I've ever seen a warranty that covers it.

2 hours ago, Brownie said:

I’d love to try an OLED but the screen burn worry keeps stopping me from pulling the trigger on one. John Lewis have an extended warranty thing which apparently covers it for an extra £140.

51 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

I've just looked that up. It's called Protect Plus and it does indeed cover screen burn.

It's the first time I've ever seen a warranty that covers it.

Samsung are currently giving a free 10 year screen burn guarantee on tv's. I think it's a special offer though. As they say,T&C's apply.

Edit, this is the correct link

https://my-samsung.com/uk/mysamsung/offers/#/MLYQL2WGD8WHQ/

3 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Samsung are currently giving a free 10 year screen burn guarantee on tv's. I think it's a special offer though. As they say,T&C's apply.

https://api.my-samsung.com/UploadImages/terms/TermsConditionsGeneral_2080.pdf

I'm surprised this issue still exists so long into the HD and Smart TV era. It seems it's been around for years.

2 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I'm surprised this issue still exists so long into the HD and Smart TV era. It seems it's been around for years.

To be fair, it existed on old cathode ray tubes as well if a static image was shown long enough.

I think the tv's now have this screen movement and pixel refresh that lessens it but the one thing manufacturers cannot control is what the owner views nor how high they have the colour, contrast and brightness turned up?

To be fair, you should be able to watch whatever you want and have it as bright as the TV allows otherwise why would they design it that way? if they are saying that you should only have it at a certain brightness then why do they allow it to go brighter?!

I have my Samsung on 10 (out of 20) for the backlight and also half way for brightness. When it notices HDR content it whacks the backlight up to 20 and the content looks amazing (especially the f******* which Sky started broadcasting in HDR this season).

If I wanted the backlight permanently at 20 and brightness at its highest, I should be able to do that without any issue otherwise it's a design flaw.

37 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Edit, this is the correct link

https://my-samsung.com/uk/mysamsung/offers/#/MLYQL2WGD8WHQ/

Yeah, I got that with mine. This is what I was on about with the OLED's. The manufacturers don't cover screen burn.

I've looked for further information on the John Lewis screen burn warranty and from what I could glean, it's subject to terms and conditions. What those are exactly I don't know, but seeing as it's an insurance policy, I imagine there would be plenty of clauses for them to be able to wriggle out of it.