You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Annoying things about Movies these days

JagSquared

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

The worst thing about movies these days is people who complain about movies these days, as if we don't live in a supremely exciting era for film.

If you can't muster up a bit of enthusiasm at a time when people like Guillermo del Toro, Paul Thomas Anderson, Spike Lee, Christopher Nolan, Sam Mendes, David Fincher, Steve McQueen, Alejandro Inarritu, Darren Aronofsky, the Coen brothers, Wes Anderson, Denis Villeneuve, Alfonso Cuaron - I could go on but I'm boring myself at this point - are churning out movies like there's no tomorrow, then there is. No. Hope. For. You.

Name a better cohort of directors at any period in time. I'll wait.

You didn't have to enter the thread.

28 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Right, okay, well when I asked for a time when there were better directors, I was sort of envisaging it wouldn't be a bunch of the same directors, just a few years earlier. Almost all the directors you named are still working now, in addition to the ones I named, so goodness knows how that time was better.

15 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

You didn't have to enter the thread.

What can I say, I'm sick of moaning cunts. Boring bastards. 

• Downvote 1

The worst thing about movies these days is people who complain about movies these days, as if we don't live in a supremely exciting era for film.

If you can't muster up a bit of enthusiasm at a time when people like Guillermo del Toro, Paul Thomas Anderson, Spike Lee, Christopher Nolan, Sam Mendes, David Fincher, Steve McQueen, Alejandro Inarritu, Darren Aronofsky, the Coen brothers, Wes Anderson, Denis Villeneuve, Alfonso Cuaron - I could go on but I'm boring myself at this point - are churning out movies like there's no tomorrow, then there is. No. Hope. For. You.

U8nqzsBML5YZ2BB2Qog9_pZLbiQ=.gif

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Vector Sigma said:

This is probably just me but the relationship between number of production companies or 'in association with' credits right at the start of a film, seems to give a clue as to how shockingly bad a film is.

I think the most I've seen is seven different firms involved in the production. Compare that to just two or three from most top-level films down the years.

This is largely to do with pooling of risk. Making a motion picture is a large financial undertaking. Back in the day a single big flop could bankrupt a studio. But if you have a whole bunch of companies assuming a portion of the burden, failures are less likely to drive you out of business.

5 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Right, okay, well when I asked for a time when there were better directors, I was sort of envisaging it wouldn't be a bunch of the same directors, just a few years earlier. Almost all the directors you named are still working now, in addition to the ones I named, so goodness knows how that time was better.

What can I say, I'm sick of moaning cunts. Boring bastards. 

2 from the list you mentioned, 2. Moving the goalposts as usual. 

Don't come into the thread just to be your usual contrary self then call people cunts and bastards you fucking barnacle. 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

2 from the list you mentioned, 2. Moving the goalposts as usual. 

Don't come into the thread just to be your usual contrary self then call people cunts and bastards you fucking barnacle. 

The list I mentioned wasn't exhaustive. It wasn't intended to be. I'd be here all day if I tried to name every director working today. And I think the group working today, which includes most of the ones you mentioned, is as good as it's ever been.

There are some gold nuggets within the hill of shite but they are increasingly difficult to pick out.

8 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

There are some gold nuggets within the hill of shite but they are increasingly difficult to pick out.

I'd say over the last 5 years or so you would struggle to  name more than a handful.of great films.

Obviously covid would play a part it even before that,its hardly been a golden era,especially compared to tele.

• Upvote 1

I think although it's nothing new but films being more a vehicle for an actor rather than a director telling a story. I dont want the Rock to be in every fucking film. I've an aversion to any film or especially TV shows where everybody is good looking, fucking police station and everybody looks like a model.

The biggest gripe though is just the modern world an ease of access to movies and not just movies. As a kid a film was an occasion, going to the video shop and picking a movie, just nostalgia I suppose I don't know if it lacks the magic because I'm older or because it's so disposable now.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

I'd say over the last 5 years or so you would struggle to  name more than a handful.of great films.

Obviously covid would play a part it even before that,its hardly been a golden era,especially compared to tele.

Completely agree. A good few of the better films in recent times have been kids animated films.

As said, deffo mumbling. Always feel like the guy with boom mic turns away every now and then.

Again mumbling when you watch the cunt on TV, bird cranks the volume up, suddenly I'm shouting car chase, car chase as the sound goes thru the roof.

Mumbling! As you ask what did he say. She moans that she missed the next part telling me what I'd missed.

Mumbling, so when the films finished and the Director watches the final cut doesn't HE ever say, can't hear what was said.

Bunch of mumbling cunts.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

The list I mentioned wasn't exhaustive. It wasn't intended to be. I'd be here all day if I tried to name every director working today. And I think the group working today, which includes most of the ones you mentioned, is as good as it's ever been.

You listed a group of names the said name a better group of directors from anytime. “I’ll wait”. I did just that, just what you asked. You just can’t accept it so it’s shape shifting time. Anyway, you are correct that the current group of directors is ace, it would have been interesting to see how they’d cope with much lower budgets and limited if any CGI. (I’m sure they would have been fine) 

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

You listed a group of names the said name a better group of directors from anytime. “I’ll wait”. I did just that, just what you asked. You just can’t accept it so it’s shape shifting time. Anyway, you are correct that the current group of directors is ace, or would have been interesting to see how they’d cope with much lower budgets and limited if any CGI. (I’m sure they would have been fine) 

I said name a better cohort of directors. I'm sorry if you understood that to mean I was referring only to the directors I named rather than the entire cohort of directors working today.

I'll leave the rest of you old men in peace to yell at your clouds now while I continue to enjoy the best period of filmmaking in human history.

The reboots are shit. How many actors have played Batman or Spiderman?. Most people know the back story of both characters but they have to constantly retell it or make the villains more edgy or cast a different type of actor in the role to the previous one just for the sake of it. 

Also superhero films that always end up having skyscrapers smashed up or trains/buses/cars lashed at each other. The only enjoyable fight between superheroes and villains in an urban area was Superman 2 because the characters looked real and they didn't level the entire city.

2 hours ago, Vector Sigma said:

This is probably just me but the relationship between number of production companies or 'in association with' credits right at the start of a film, seems to give a clue as to how shockingly bad a film is.

I think the most I've seen is seven different firms involved in the production. Compare that to just two or three from most top-level films down the years.

Nail. Head.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I agree with SD that there is plenty of choice and we've never had such easy access to films. The notion that everything is a superhero film is a bit of a myth too, there are a lot of them though & they are heavily advertised.

Most of my gripes have been covered in here, mumbling, style over substance & I don't agree with SD this is the golden age of cinema, that was the 70s. Can't remember the last film I saw that completely blew me away, there certainly haven't been many in the last 20 years. Maybe it's because I'm getting old & grumpy.

• Upvote 1