You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Report: Lack of game time has Gomez concerned for World Cup hopes

TLW

9 hours ago, El Rojo said:

Madness. I don’t know why he’d leave us anyway, as he’s still a kid and deputising for an older player with a history of injuries. He’ll play plenty this season. 

If he really did want to go, and why on earth would he, Manchester City or Chelsea won’t go near him and he probably won’t go to Bayern so it’s already a huge step down in his career. 

He's not a kid any more though. I think he should be thinking he should be playing at 24, but the reason we've bought a 4th high profile centre back is because of his and matip's injury record. 

The bottom line for me though is I genuinely don't think he's as great as a lot of our fans shout about. He's very good back up, he can probably expect to be 1st choice at a lesser club, but I don't think he's close to world class. He's poor in the air for his size and his inability to read the flight of the ball gives him positional problems (on top of his heading problems) - his pace has helped with that at times, but I'm not certain he still has that because he used to be lightening - he hasn't got to show that since this return. 

The season is only 9 games old. If he's being impatient enough to be leaking stories, it's time to start planning without him. Especially as it was fucking england duty he got injured on. 

Mentioned this in the united thread and Konate being preferred ahead of Joe. Coaching staff said they 'saw something' that suggested Konate would be the best bet to play alongside Virgil for the game.

Must admit, I was surprised at that. Joe is our quickest player unless Konate is quicker and Im not sure about that. Havent heard Joe has lost pace either although it's possible given he's just coming back from a serious knee injury himself.

It is or was, a close call between who is Virgil's best partner with Joe and Joel. We looked very, very good in 18 / 19 when Joe played a lot of games with Virgil.

He's a young lad who wants to play games. Im not certain whether the England stuff would be the cause or effect should he decide to move for game time. I think it would be wrong for people to jump on the England bandwagon as his sole or main reason, if he did seek a move next summer or beyond.

As I said, he's a London lad and I could see him going to one of the London clubs if it meant him playing regularly. Whether that boosts his Englnad game time would be another question.

On 27/10/2021 at 18:33, VladimirIlyich said:

I will repeat it yet again,just for the hell of it 'Fuck England.' You seven toed neanderthal racist cunts,and that's just the female fans.

Yeah fuck off, Ingerlund and fuck off all your shithouse little ingerlunder fans...i hope the pain from that euros lark in the summer is still stinging like an absolute bastard....

He had a couple of times yesterday to get up some pace and unless their lads were fast too (and they didn't look it), he wasn't looking as fast as he was previously. Maybe it'll come back. I was listening to someone on co-commentary on one of the weekend games on 5live I think (no idea who it was but clearly an ex-pro) and they were saying it's not even about being able to run at your quickest after a major injury, it's having the confidence in your body to do so and just be willing to go flat out. By all accounts Gomez got injured just on his own with that last injury. Maybe he his holding himself back because he's lost some faith in this body. 

3 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Mentioned this in the united thread and Konate being preferred ahead of Joe. Coaching staff said they 'saw something' that suggested Konate would be the best bet to play alongside Virgil for the game.

Must admit, I was surprised at that. Joe is our quickest player unless Konate is quicker and Im not sure about that. Havent heard Joe has lost pace either although it's possible given he's just coming back from a serious knee injury himself.

It is or was, a close call between who is Virgil's best partner with Joe and Joel. We looked very, very good in 18 / 19 when Joe played a lot of games with Virgil.

He's a young lad who wants to play games. Im not certain whether the England stuff would be the cause or effect should he decide to move for game time. I think it would be wrong for people to jump on the England bandwagon as his sole or main reason, if he did seek a move next summer or beyond.

As I said, he's a London lad and I could see him going to one of the London clubs if it meant him playing regularly. Whether that boosts his Englnad game time would be another question.

18/19 was pretty much all Matip and VVd wasn't it?

As for Konate ahead of him, it's because he's been earmarked for left side, and Konate right side. Klopp talked about this in pre season.

I got sent this yesterday, which passed me by during the match. Some shambolic defending there from Gomez, playing offside like an 8 year old who hasn't quite mastered the laws. 

Edit..Although on 2nd look.... Is it Gomez? I thought it was 12 on the back, not so sure now! It might be 32 matip! Either way, shocking stuff. 

Double edit... So I think Gomez gives it away and matip does 8 year old offside.