You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Report: Lack of game time has Gomez concerned for World Cup hopes

TLW

Joe Gomez has a determination to get back in the England squad but to do that he needs to become a regular member of the Liverpool starting lineup.

And there lies the issue for the 24 year old central defender who is yet to start a Premier League game this season due to the excellent partnership of Virgil Van Dijk and Joel Matip.

Gomez has started once in the Carabao Cup against Norwich and in the Champions League group game against Ac Milan but in the league he has been restricted to cameo appearances against Burnley and Man City.

When Matip was rotated for the match on the weekend against Man United, Klopp surprisingly gave the nod to new signing Ibrahima Konate but the young Frenchman did not let anyone down.

Gomez who missed a large chunk of last season with a knee injury was left out of Gareth Southgate’s latest squad and according to the 90 min website, it has left Gomez somewhat concerned that he will be left out of the 2022 World Cup squad.

gomez7_600.jpg

Gomez is said to have confidence in his ability to be the best partner for Virgil Van Dijk and being a starting central defender for England although he is under no illusion in the amount of work he has to do.

And there is no indication that he is agitating for a move away from the Reds at this stage, however if he continues to be on the substitute bench, he will certainly look at all possible options on the table.

After Liverpool were caught significantly short with long term injuries to their central defenders, it seems highly unlikely that any move will be on the cards before next summer.

While understandably frustrated, in the back of Gomez’s mind he will know how good a position the club is in at this point of time, as well as the fact that a starting opportunity may arise at any stage.

View full article

Injuries have completely derailed his career. At times he's looked immense alongside Virgil but he's nowhere near as good as Matip, he has mistakes in him and often makes the wrong decisions.

I'm not comparing him with Konate just yet as we've not seen enough if him but he looks like he has the potential to be an absolute monster, whereas Gomez lacks that physicality.

He's a great 4th choice to have and there is a good chance he'll get a run of games due to injuries but ultimately he could be playing every week at another premiership club. 

• Upvote 1

Madness. I don’t know why he’d leave us anyway, as he’s still a kid and deputising for an older player with a history of injuries. He’ll play plenty this season. 

If he really did want to go, and why on earth would he, Manchester City or Chelsea won’t go near him and he probably won’t go to Bayern so it’s already a huge step down in his career. 

1 hour ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

"Thanks for paying my wages and supporting me through my rehabilitation, club. Now play me so I can get into the England squad."

Reeks of Owen. 

Although at least that is a direct quote. This article and the source article have no quotes at all. Could be a Friday afternoon article written in the pub. Or just clickbait.

He’d surely fetch in excess of £50m in today’s preposterous transfer market, and you could add at least another £20m to that were it not for the injuries. If he wants to go, sell, get Salah’s new contract done and hopefully that being paid for (and not most of the ‘transfer’ budget in and of itself) would mean we might be able to buy a midfielder or two in the summer. 

If I was him I'd be considering my future too, he's good enough to play for any club in the league bar the one he plays for. I see Christensen from Chelsea will be available for free in the summer, I'd sign him, sell Joe for £40m to Newcastle, use that money to pay Mo.

I've never loved Gomez but I don't think we can do better than someone like him at 3rd/4th choice. If he wants to leave, so be it, we'll get a lot of money out of it, but then what direction do we go at centre back? Someone younger and likely worse than Gomez until we can develop them or a veteran type that is more short term and that will accept playing less? Neither of those situations are as good as keeping Gomez. Someone like Rudiger or Christensen isn't coming to fight for a spot, they play almost every game at Chelsea. I'd probably replace him with someone around 20 years old but it would be a downgrade. 

He has clearly fallen down the pecking order and is now arguably 4th choice.

As 4th choice he isn't going to be happy and as much as it would be great to have someone as good as him as 4th choice the reality is he is too good to be 4th choice and hardly play, so he will have to go if he wants to play week in week out - and to be fair he knows he start for most of the clubs in the league.

If Matip continues to stay fit and healthy there is an argument IMO to say Phillips is sound enough as 4th choice and we don't need to replace Gomez - and we could spend the money we get for him elsewhere.

But is it realistic to expect Matip to stay fit...

Didn't the England fans also boo him for having the gall to be scratched in the face by T- Rex arms?

If he wants to give up a spot in an all time great squad to get a chance to play in the Slave Labour Footy Bonanza, that's on him.

6 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

"Thanks for paying my wages and supporting me through my rehabilitation, club. Now play me so I can get into the England squad."

Reeks of Owen. 

Note that the article from the esteemed '90 min' website has no quotes from Gomez, so it's not something he's publicly complaining about. If it's a concern he's expressed privately, which he has every right to, it's doubtless an honest assessment. Even Klopp questioned why he hasn't been picked for England lately. There's zero indication he's saying what you're intimating above. 

Like it or not, our lads care about playing for England. Henderson does, even Trent does, despite how he's been treated by Saint Gareth. 

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Love me some Gomez but does he really play at international level at all? I might have seen him once.

I'm sure it is a great experience but don't know why he would expect to be in contention - much less have a chance to play.

Maybe he watched the game on Sunday?