Clem H Fandango

First bicycle

4 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

Most kids round our way used to prise badges of peoples cars which was probably because I had the Ford badges.

Upper echelon? Ha, we didn't have a pot to piss in most of the time. My Dad was called out on strike every 5 minutes, sometimes for months at a time.

Making goey's and finding old bike frames and parts to build a bike with were the norm.

Times were bloody tough back then.

Certainly where mate.

4 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

called out on strike every 5 minutes, sometimes for months at a time.

Glad those days are behind.

Thatcher was a clever if horrible twat. Get everyone to buy their own houses, offer credit cards by the dozen, guess what no-one could afford to strike.

1 minute ago, DalyanPete said:

Glad those days are behind.

Thatcher was a clever if horrible twat. Get everyone to buy their own houses, offer credit cards by the dozen, guess what no-one could afford to strike.

They couldn't then either. They'd be out for 10 weeks, go back to work, then just as they were getting themselves straight they'd be on strike again for 12 weeks.

Add to that the 3 day week, there was just no money coming in.

The strikes were over next to nothing sometimes as well.

I was at Fords myself and I was told by a fella who worked in the Transmission plant from day one that they once walked out over a bacon butty.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

They couldn't then either. They'd be out for 10 weeks, go back to work, then just as they were getting themselves straight they'd be on strike again for 12 weeks.

Add to that the 3 day week, there was just no money coming in.

The strikes were over next to nothing sometimes as well.

I was at Fords myself and I was told by a fella who worked in the Transmission plant from day one that they once walked out over a bacon butty.

Think that was consistent in a few industries.

Engineering I was in had few strikes apart from the shorter working week one.(think)

My convenor always said, "it's easy going out on strike, it's harder to walk back in."

Just now, DalyanPete said:

Think that was consistent in a few industries.

Engineering I was in had few strikes apart from the shorter working week one.(think)

My convenor always said, "it's easy going out on strike, it's harder to walk back in."

Very true that.

The car industry was notorious for strikes though. 

The strikes were more or less a thing of the past when I was there though apart from when I got laid off for 7 weeks when the electicians walked in 91.

Just now, VladimirIlyich said:

Didn't the 2nd gears never work properly and you could only use 1st and 3rd gears?

Probably just needed a toggle chain adjustment.

1 hour ago, Harry's Lad said:

Very true that.

The car industry was notorious for strikes though. 

The strikes were more or less a thing of the past when I was there though apart from when I got laid off for 7 weeks when the electicians walked in 91.

Yeah, Red Robbo, who could forget him?