You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

First bicycle

Clem H Fandango

32 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I used to take BMXing semi seriously and was getting to tailwhip level, pulled it off a couple of times.

Still have dints in my shins to this day from it.

This was my first 'proper' bike...

159377964_-2003-haro-f3-bmx-freestyle-bi

Damn, I miss being young and reckless.

I too did a lot of BMX in the 80's, not as young these days but still doing whips and jumps, spent a couple of days here a few weeks ago..

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

I too did a lot of BMX in the 80's, not as young these days but still doing whips and jumps, spent a couple of days here a few weeks ago..

I really don't have the stomach for it anymore.

My 'career' ended when when I was about 18/19 and I tried a really simple hop on to a town bench. Plan was to land back wheel, ride it out looking cool as fuck for the hot pieces of tail on the bench opposite, land then mosey on over an get their numbers.

The actual happening were I was riding too fast to hit the bunny hop, clipped the bench, front wheel landed in a groove and I flew about ten feet in the air before hitting, and sliding on, the tarmac in front of a load of pensioners my nan knew. Snapped my forks and that was that, a promising 'career' over.

Never lived it down.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I really don't have the stomach for it anymore.

My 'career' ended when when I was about 18/19 and I tried a really simple hop on to a town bench. Plan was to land back wheel, ride it out looking cool as fuck for the hot pieces of tail on the bench opposite, land then mosey on over an get their numbers.

The actual happening were I was riding too fast to hit the bunny hop, clipped the bench, front wheel landed in a groove and I flew about ten feet in the air before hitting, and sliding on, the tarmac in front of a load of pensioners my nan knew. Snapped my forks and that was that, a promising 'career' over.

Never lived it down.

The old pensioners were the hot pieces of tail? Whatever floats your boat mate, hope you keep Derby up.

• Upvote 1

Haven’t been on a push iron since I was in Rochdale at 16 going to meet a girl I met on holiday, was on a bike and trying to impress in a park and came to a massive load of downhill steps and decided to go down them on it, bounced all the way to about the last 4 then grabbed the front brake too much and went end over end and smashed my face in.

Had a Raleigh Super Tuff Burner. That padding saved my pre-pubescent balls on more than one occassion!

Put pegs front and back so I could get 3 passengers onboard (back pegs, crossbar, front pegs). Lunatic stuff when I think about it!

1850.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=forma

• Upvote 5

Afraid this was about as good as it got for me, can't ever remember my parents having the cash.

Bonfire night dare/game was you got pushed towards the bommy on it, whoever jumped off closest to the bommy was the winner. Think the prize would have been an black undercooked sausage. Made me the man I am today or lucky to still be alive.

99bf606844a7cc0e7dc7159330f75790.jpg

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, DalyanPete said:

Afraid this was about as good as it got for me, can't ever remember my parents having the cash.

Bonfire night dare/game was you got pushed towards the bommy on it, whoever jumped off closest to the bommy was the winner. Think the prize would have been an black undercooked sausage. Made me the man I am today or lucky to still be alive.

99bf606844a7cc0e7dc7159330f75790.jpg

Aaah, a trolley. Had one of them that the old fella knocked up for me.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, tokyojoe said:

Aaah, a trolley. Had one of them that the old fella knocked up for me.

We called them Goey's.

I was always on the lookout for dumped prams when I was a kid.

My arl fella worked in Fords and used to bring home car badges for me, so my Goey was a Ford Capri 1600 GT.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

We called them Goey's.

I was always on the lookout for dumped prams when I was a kid.

My arl fella worked in Fords and used to bring home car badges for me, so my Goey was a Ford Capri 1600 GT.

Goey for me too. 

Think only the upper echelons called them trolleys.....or put Ford badges on them.

45 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

Goey for me too. 

Think only the upper echelons called them trolleys.....or put Ford badges on them.

Most kids round our way used to prise badges of peoples cars which was probably because I had the Ford badges.

Upper echelon? Ha, we didn't have a pot to piss in most of the time. My Dad was called out on strike every 5 minutes, sometimes for months at a time.

Making goey's and finding old bike frames and parts to build a bike with were the norm.

Times were bloody tough back then.