You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

First bicycle

Clem H Fandango

Mine was called a Mustang. A bit like a Raleigh Chipper, but a few years before they came out. U.S custom style.

It was metallic blue with a long blue padded seat with metalflake in it that looked cool, a fat back tyre, a slim front one, high rise handlebars and a back pedal brake which was boss for skidding with.

I went through back tyres on it like nobody's business.

It was pretty unique, all my mates wanted one, but I never saw another one like it. I can't find any pictures online either.

E2168CA9-8930-486F-8978-5EF2AAAE4BFD.jpeg

Wasn't my first but it’s the only photo I’ve got of me on a bike and it was my favourite one. I was given this by a neighbour and for my 8th birthday when I got some money I bought all the blue bits including the tyres from Hobsons on Walton Vale.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Spring '75 Grandma brought me (then 4) and my elder brother bikes for Easter,I had something like this,s-l1600.jpg

which was fine for leaning to ride,also managed to crash into a low wall and knockout a couple of teeth!

Then,I always nabbed my brothers Chipper if I could,58fc7538c0f6472aa91574e9

used to tear round our village in rural Lincolnshire on that in the summer of '76, until I smacked it into a gatepost and buckled the front wheel and forks.Took awhile to get it fixed and he's still never really forgiven me!

• Upvote 1

A blue gentlemens bike off my uncle John,  it had a like a satchel thing behind the seat and because it was a bit big  me Dad taped wooden blocks to the pedals felt a right cunt. 

We used to have a laugh on the order bike , sitting in the basket and your mate riding it jumping off, and the other way round. 

I remember three of us on one  celebrating the 74 Cup win. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Gruntfuttock said:

Spring '75 Grandma brought me (then 4) and my elder brother bikes for Easter,I had something like this,s-l1600.jpg

which was fine for leaning to ride,also managed to crash into a low wall and knockout a couple of teeth!

Then,I always nabbed my brothers Chipper if I could,58fc7538c0f6472aa91574e9

used to tear round our village in rural Lincolnshire on that in the summer of '76, until I smacked it into a gatepost and buckled the front wheel and forks.Took awhile to get it fixed and he's still never really forgiven me!

A bike for Easter?

I had a Raleigh Fireball, bought from Halfords when I was 7 or 8. Looking for photos online and the only ones I can find look very different to the Fireball I had. The nearest in apperance and colours are for something called the Raleigh Night Burner. Here's a pic I found online of a Fireball just like mine, although mine wasn't covered in dust.

RALEIGH-FIREBALL-BMX-MINI-BURNER-1980s.j

3 hours ago, easytoslip said:

A blue gentlemens bike off my uncle John,  it had a like a satchel thing behind the seat and because it was a bit big  me Dad taped wooden blocks to the pedals felt a right cunt. 

We used to have a laugh on the order bike , sitting in the basket and your mate riding it jumping off, and the other way round. 

I remember three of us on one  celebrating the 74 Cup win. 

Great day that was.