You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Air source heat pumps

elvis

Anyone got one ? really tempted to go down this route now that good old isle of man gov has agreed to a 28% increase with the only gas supplier on island. 

Apologies if theres already a thread on this but I couldn't find one .

I know a separate water tank is needed but other than that , it doesn't look too difficult to install. 

1 minute ago, elvis said:

Anyone got one ? really tempted to go down this route now that good old isle of man gov has agreed to a 28% increase with the only gas supplier on island. 

I know a separate water tank is needed but other than that , it doesn't look too difficult to install. 

MarriedUnsteadyLeopardseal-max-1mb.gif

1 minute ago, elvis said:

I have a couple of mates who are QS's and they've had to put them into a couple of projects. They said they're not great - unreliable and except in brand new houses with all the modern insulation, they don't generate enough heat. But I've never used one, so it's just word of mouth.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Like electric cars, I suspect all this new green tech will be a bit shit at first then gradually get better. I know this probably doesn't help.

To be fair , I think the technology has been around for quite a while especially in Scandinavia and Canada so hopefully fairly well advanced by now. 

I saw an article on one of the news websites over the weekend where someone living somewhere in out in the open part of Yorkshire had one fitted to replace an old oil fired boiler, along with new radiators and water tank.

They were singing it's praises, but I'm not sure they will be when winter hits. Bloody expensive too, £14.000, though there is money to come back off that.

I get the feeling we'll be hearing a lot of  'satisfied' people after having these things installed over the next few years as the Government try to hard sell them as the alternative to gas/oil fired boilers.

47 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

I saw an article on one of the news websites over the weekend where someone living somewhere in out in the open part of Yorkshire had one fitted to replace an old oil fired boiler, along with new radiators and water tank.

They were singing it's praises, but I'm not sure they will be when winter hits. Bloody expensive too, £14.000, though there is money to come back off that.

I get the feeling we'll be hearing a lot of  'satisfied' people after having these things installed over the next few years as the Government try to hard sell them as the alternative to gas/oil fired boilers.

I'm sure the units are around 6-8k , I intend installing it myself and getting a spark to wire it and sign off on it . Done quite a lot of plumbing over the years so ......

16 minutes ago, elvis said:

I'm sure the units are around 6-8k , I intend installing it myself and getting a spark to wire it and sign off on it . Done quite a lot of plumbing over the years so ......

The installation charges would take up a bloody big chunk of the overall cost no doubt and I wasn't trying to put you off.

My combi boiler is getting on a bit now and is probably going to need replacing before long, so I'm looking out for all the information I can get before I decide what is the best thing to do for me.

Hydrogen might be around the corner so I'm keeping an eye on that as well.

Good luck with it though anyway, whatever you decide to do.

6 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

The installation charges would take up a bloody big chunk of the overall cost no doubt and I wasn't trying to put you off.

My combi boiler is getting on a bit now and is probably going to need replacing before long, so I'm looking out for all the information I can get before I decide what is the best thing to do for me.

Hydrogen might be around the corner so I'm keeping an eye on that as well.

Good luck with it though anyway, whatever you decide to do.

Thanks , no chance of hydrogen tech hitting the iom anytime soon . Just applied for a grant towards costs but not too hopeful

generally speaking the tech is sound, but they’re not a like for like replacement for a boiler. You need to change the way you use heat because it’s a lower grade of heat generated, and in the cold winter they can’t just give you heat you need.

insulate your home, and out in underfloor heating at the same time and go balls out for it.

13 hours ago, elvis said:

Roger knows. Fucking waste of time unless you have a super insulated home.

Our house is heated this way. It’s a new build though and so well insulated. Our house is always 20 degrees, winter or summer, and hotter or colder if we want.  With 2 young kids and so lights on everywhere all the time and at least one hot water tap running what feels like 24/7, our winter bills over 2 months was about €200. And that’s for absolutely everything. 

Air source will give a decent constant temperature but you'll need either good insulation or a secondary heat source for really cold days. They use quite a bit of electricity so your bills won't be much,if any, lower for heating. 

I got one fitted in January this year.

These villas are built for the sun.

Will be putting it on end of November I think.

Runs different to UK heating, on/off timer.

You leave these on 24/7. First bill is high to get the place up to temp but then drops quite a bit in cost.

Used log burner before which looks lovely but you don't get treated wood here so you're burning all kinds of shit. Messy, dirty fuckas.

We design a LOT of houses and flats for the affordable market. Climate change and post-Grenfell means all new developments are no-gas and ASHP's are the default for heating and hot water now. However, these new houses are maxxed-out with insulation and are practically air-tight. They also use a Mechanical Ventilation with Heat Recovery system (MVHR) which passes warm exhaust air through a heat exchanger to warm incoming air. This last bit is crucial to making ASHP's cost-effective compared to gas-fired an fully-electric heating systems. Without it, the ASHP has to work much harder (higher running costs) and it's operational life is affected.

IMO, ASHP's will be no good for the majority of the UK's older, uninsulated and draughty housing stock. Unless the homeowner is OK with massive electricity bills in winter as the immersion heater will be running full-pelt to supplement the ASHP unit.  Short-medium term, the only benefit over gas will be if electricity unit prices fall by at least 35% or if the price of gas stays high. 

• Upvote 3