You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Are we, as a nation, becoming hysterical?

Captain Willard

8 minutes ago, Gooch said:

We already have but it's not just us it's a global thing driven by social media. It thrives on it. Everything is 'chilling', 'disgusting' etc and it ends up just dulling your senses to whats actually wrong in the world.

I think that's the real issue, this constant hyperbole about every single political issue just reduces it to white noise and people are disengaging from actual politics preferring to leave a small minority to shriek into the social media void in response to everything. In my local town (Epsom) I would estimate that no more than 100 people are actively engaged in either local or national politics across all the political parties. I think I know most of them. At campaign times, you knock on the doors of the general public and the overwhelming response is apathy yet on local social media it's constant angry hysteria about everything.  It's a weird phenemona. 

9 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

I think that's the real issue, this constant hyperbole about every single political issue just reduces it to white noise and people are disengaging from actual politics preferring to leave a small minority to shriek into the social media void in response to everything. In my local town (Epsom) I would estimate that no more than 100 people are actively engaged in either local or national politics across all the political parties. I think I know most of them. At campaign times, you knock on the doors of the general public and the overwhelming response is apathy yet on local social media it's constant angry hysteria about everything.  It's a weird phenemona. 

You're assuming that everyone is on social media when in-fact it's a select few that you happen to see. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

You're assuming that everyone is on social media when in-fact it's a select few that you happen to see. 

Yes good point and I think that’s the struggle for politicians, to differentiate between the hysteria on social media and actual voters concerns. Sometimes the public react to social media hyperbole as with the petrol shortages, other times they seem to give a weary shrug though as per my original post, I wonder if the former is becoming more common. Probably not. 

2 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

Yes good point and I think that’s the struggle for politicians, to differentiate between the hysteria on social media and actual voters concerns. Sometimes the public react to social media hyperbole as with the petrol shortages, other times they seem to give a weary shrug though as per my original post, I wonder if the former is becoming more common. Probably not. 

I genuinely mean it when I say people should be more hysterical. Hysterical that the government are stealing off us, killing us and manipulating our minds. 

35 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I genuinely mean it when I say people should be more hysterical. Hysterical that the government are stealing off us, killing us and manipulating our minds. 

I don't think anyone should be hysterical.

Vigilant, cynical, educated, militant maybe but not hysterical.

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

But do you genuinely feel that the Government is deliberately killing people ? Because if you do then limiting yourself to posting on social media seems quite a muted response. In WW2, The french and polish resistance movements didn’t limit themselves to a few pithy slogans when faced with a similar regime. This is my point really, there’s a huge disconnect between what the hyperbole of what people say on social media (the government is killing people, genocide, fascism etc) and either the reality or their response. So to reiterate, do you really feel the Government is deliberately killing people ? 

3 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

But do you genuinely feel that the Government is deliberately killing people ? Because if you do then limiting yourself to posting on social media seems quite a muted response. In WW2, The french and polish resistance movements didn’t limit themselves to a few pithy slogans when faced with a similar regime. This is my point really, there’s a huge disconnect between what the hyperbole of what people say on social media (the government is killing people, genocide, fascism etc) and either the reality or their response. So to reiterate, do you really feel the Government is deliberately killing people ? 

They are certainly helping people die sooner. 

24 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Well that’s a separate debate.

I think I’m groping towards a point that says there is on the one hand hysteria about how we describe events  in the uk (genocide, fascism, 5 years to climate change disaster etc), the unbelievably angry way some people react in political discourse (death threats to MPs, the toxic nature of the trans debate, the on line comments pages on newspapers etc) and how we are easily panicked by the media (petrol shortages). All 3 point to a more anxious hysterical angry toxic society then on the other hand memberships of political parties is still pretty low, there isn’t much civil unrest compared to recent history  and the general attitude in the country seems to be resigned apathy to another 10 years of the Tory government.  It’s hard to reconcile how as a nation we speak, behave and our expressed beliefs on social media with how we behave in real life. We are becoming both more and less hysterical at the same time. 

3 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

Well that’s a separate debate.

I think I’m groping towards a point that says there is on the one hand hysteria about how we describe events  in the uk (genocide, fascism, 5 years to climate change disaster etc), the unbelievably angry way some people react in political discourse (death threats to MPs, the toxic nature of the trans debate, the on line comments pages on newspapers etc) and how we are easily panicked by the media (petrol shortages). All 3 point to a more anxious hysterical angry toxic society then on the other hand memberships of political parties is still pretty low, there isn’t much civil unrest compared to recent history  and the general attitude in the country seems to be resigned apathy to another 10 years of the Tory government.  It’s hard to reconcile how as a nation we speak, behave and our expressed beliefs on social media with how we behave in real life. We are becoming both more and less hysterical at the same time. 

Are you throwing your hand in for Laura Kuntburgers job? 

7 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

Epsom? Fuck, that's where wanker and bint are. Good luck mate.

10 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

As I get older, it seems that the Country is losing its traditional stoicism and becoming hysterical, endlessly baited by the media and lurching from one emotional crisis to another. With hindsight its obvious that the petrol shortage was entirely psychological (supplies are back to normal without anything actually changing apart from people stopping panic buying) and this morning I read a climate change activist acusing the Government of "genocide and killing our kids". We used to be sensible stoic grown ups, now we seem to be emotional teenagers. Is this just a UK phenemona ? 

I think the actual opposite is the case tbh

The gmnt is completely and utterly responsible for letting 1000s of people die needlessly, the pm has made utterly callous remarks about bodies piled high on the street and the country has collectively done a partridge shrug.

No wonder people are angry.

8 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

I think you make a valid point that social media 'noise' is often not represented by the general public. 

10 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

The government IS killing people. Whether it's the decision to not go into lockdown as we are now approaching last December levels of Covid, or in the removal of thousands of people from their much-needed disability benefit after the financial crisis of 2008. In fact, history is repeating itself again with the cuts to Universal Credit and the governments rhetoric that food banks are "uplifting". We have a young ****baller running around making sure kids are fed because the government has been adversarially against tackling the problem. 

We ARE moving towards a fascist state because the government are trying, and will succeed in, pushing through laws to remove the rights of its citizens to peacefully protest. Vaccine passports are moving us towards a Chinese social credit system. The great irony of all this is that politicians are supposed to be representing the people, but instead, they represent the interests of corporate lobbyists. 

So, in answer to your question, yes, the government is deliberately killing people. Whether it be through apathy or being philosophically opposed to helping them in their time of greatest need. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/10/2021 at 01:22, Boss said:

The government IS killing people. Whether it's the decision to not go into lockdown as we are now approaching last December levels of Covid, or in the removal of thousands of people from their much-needed disability benefit after the financial crisis of 2008. In fact, history is repeating itself again with the cuts to Universal Credit and the governments rhetoric that food banks are "uplifting". We have a young ****baller running around making sure kids are fed because the government has been adversarially against tackling the problem. 

We ARE moving towards a fascist state because the government are trying, and will succeed in, pushing through laws to remove the rights of its citizens to peacefully protest. Vaccine passports are moving us towards a Chinese social credit system. The great irony of all this is that politicians are supposed to be representing the people, but instead, they represent the interests of corporate lobbyists. 

So, in answer to your question, yes, the government is deliberately killing people. Whether it be through apathy or being philosophically opposed to helping them in their time of greatest need. 

This is my point in a nutshell. I don’t  believe there is a secret Government plan to kill 10,000s of people or we moving towards a facist state. I don’t think you really believe this either. If you did we’d both be be part of an underground resistance not posting trivia on here.  You may not like the Government but to claim they are deliberately killing people or that we are moving towards fascism is hysteria that undermines the opposition. Voters on the door steps stop listening when these phrases get used. One day a real marketable facist will emerge from the shadows of the far right and by constantly over using the phrase you will have numbed people to the threat e.g . “If Michael Gove is a fascist then they can’t be that bad”

Last night in london anti Vaccine riots and participant with this placard claiming the government is committing genocide. Hysterical double  think is alive and well in the UK

B9B73B79-CE01-41F0-A4AA-AC820C17C66F.jpeg

Precisely.  the truth is though, that the democratic framework in this country - as in the US - flawed as it is, is being dismantled at a rate not seen in centuries.  It's insidious, and it is real.  The country has been weaned off thinking rationally, so is letting it happen.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

This is my point in a nutshell. I don’t  believe there is a secret Government plan to kill 10,000s of people or we moving towards a facist state. I don’t think you really believe this either. If you did we’d both be be part of an underground resistance not posting trivia on here.  You may not like the Government but to claim they are deliberately killing people or that we are moving towards fascism is hysteria that undermines the opposition. Voters on the door steps stop listening when these phrases get used. One day a real marketable facist will emerge from the shadows of the far right and by constantly over using the phrase you will have numbed people to the threat e.g . “If Michael Gove is a fascist then they can’t be that bad”

Last night in london anti Vaccine riots and participant with this placard claiming the government is committing genocide. Hysterical double  think is alive and well in the UK

B9B73B79-CE01-41F0-A4AA-AC820C17C66F.jpeg

The DWP declined to comment…..

12 minutes ago, stringvest said:

Precisely.  the truth is though, that the democratic framework in this country - as in the US - flawed as it is, is being dismantled at a rate not seen in centuries.  It's insidious, and it is real.  The country has been weaned off thinking rationally, so is letting it happen.

I've actually been wondering lately if the 'woke' stuff and 'pc gone mad' stories are being deliberately allowed out there to gradually grind people down so they come to accept some kind of future social crackdown.

I don't think the kind of people who embace 'woke' politics are powerful enough or connected enough for it to be able to carry as much clout as it now often seems to do, which makes me suspicious that it seems to generate so much negative news.

When the Nazis rose to power people were willing to accept them partly due to economic and political chaos (sound familiar?) but also the widespread belief that society was somehow getting out of hand after the changes unleashed by the roaring 20s.

8 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I've actually been wondering lately if the 'woke' stuff and 'pc gone mad' stories are being deliberately allowed out there to gradually grind people down so they come to accept some kind of future social crackdown.

I don't think the kind of people who embace 'woke' politics are powerful enough or connected enough for it to be able to carry as much clout as it now often seems to do, which makes me suspicious that it seems to generate so much negative news.

When the Nazis rose to power people were willing to accept them partly due to economic and political chaos (sound familiar?) but also the widespread belief that society was somehow getting out of hand after the changes unleashed by the roaring 20s.

Of course it has, everyday the DM has some article saying some passage from a book or old sitcom has created outrage on twitter with absolutely no context or proof. They know it wears away at people who are saying "whats the world coming too, stop with the woke stuff" that Ashley Banjo hosted the pride of britain awards the other night. "Not watching that woke rubbish" look at the kick offs from the John Lewis advert. It's all geared towards a white proud Britain and biting our lips while brexit cripples the country and the NHS gets dismantled and sold. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Captain Willard said:

Of course, there is a plan. After the financial crash in 2009, Cameron went to the EU to fight to keep bankers receiving six-figure bonuses. At the same time, Ian Duncan Smith was trying to destroy the benefits system by removing incapacity benefit and creating a new benefit where the criteria penalised and cut off thousands of disabled people.

They called in long term disabled people - who hadn't been assessed in years - and failed them on the new points criteria. This was done on purpose to force them to go through a lengthy year-long process of appealing the decision, and going to a tribunal. All the while, for that year, they weren't paid a penny - whilst their benefits were frozen. It forced thousands of legitimately disabled people to claim jobseekers allowance because they had no other choice. They didn't have enough money saved away to go a whole year without payment, and in the process of claiming jobseekers allowance, they declared themselves 'fit for work', which meant they couldn't claim disability benefit anymore.

Thousands of them killed themselves, a lot of them in the first two weeks after being declared 'fit for work'. That is an example of a planned and pre-meditated culling of people. They knew exactly what they were doing, and orchestrated it thusly to achieve the desired effect. 

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/aug/27/thousands-died-after-fit-for-work-assessment-dwp-figures

On 25/10/2021 at 15:47, Bjornebye said:

Nah can't agree . 50 years ago people were passing away in their mid 60's. You see people now living way past 70 these days. Back then they did not get the.medical care and advanced medicines that are available now. Whilst the NHS may be struggling now  its a pretty much free service which is not available anywhere else. As an example,  to ensure I receive what I would consider to be good health care I have to take out private health insurance at a cost of 130 quid a month and I still do not get cover for all costs.