You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Preston (A) - CC 4th Rnd, Wed 27th Oct 2021 (7:45pm)

Trumo

The next round of the League Cup presents Klopp with another chance to rest first teamers and give the fringe players and academy graduates another chance to get a run out and state their case to be involved with the first team. I'd expect a very similar line-up and approach to what we saw at Norwich in the last round. To that end:

Poise. Nous. Effectiveness.

I don't ask for much.

The teams have never met in this competition before, and given that the once-mighty Lancashire club - the only side the complete a league and cup double while remaining unbeaten all season, a club where Bill Shankly made his name and where Tom Finney was the club legend and an old-school gentleman in the mold of Jimmy Armfield - have been outside the top flight for decades, fixtures between the two are few and far between. It's unlikely they will meet in the league any time soon as Preston are currently languishing just outside the relegation zone in the Championship.

The last time the sides met was in the FA Cup 3rd round at Deepdale in January 2009. Liverpool came away with an efficient if uninspiring 2-0 win thanks to a piledriver from Albert Riera (remember him?) and a late breakway goal tucked in by El Nino. The next round saw us face a Merseyside derby. Apparently the shite scored a stoppage time winner in the replay but as nobody saw it, it doesn't count.

The big film that weekend at the box office was Marley & Me, a rom-com starring Owen Wilson and Jennifer Aniston as a couple who adopt a fiesty and disobedient lab puppy. As with puppies the world over, the dog is too damned affectionate to get mad at, so the story tells their lives overlaid with the life of their pet. It's a predictable story and an easy watch for the most part, but as is sadly predictable for anyone whose family has been graced by man's best friend, the film has a sad denouement that is very hard to watch, especially for those who have been in that situation. I've never owned a dog but can see that they have an unconditional love that grabs you in a way that you could never have expected, so when it's finally time, a part of you leaves with it. It's probably the one movie where Owen Wilson plays someone other than Owen Wilson for a little while too.

As I said before, Preston have been languishing near the foot of the Championship this season. Sepp van den Berg is on loan there but cannot play against us I believe. I'm not sure if it's a competition rule or part of any loan arrangement. I've looked at their squad on Wiki and I'm not familiar with most of them. They do have Ched Evans, Connor Wickham and Scott Sinclair. Regardless, whatever team we select needs to make sure they approach the game the right way and do all the right things. Inexperience might be evident at times but the experienced players around them need to ensure it is not exposed or exploited. Do the right things and earn the right to get some more game time in the next round. Just get it done.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, an tha said:

Kelleher (if recovered from illness, if not Alisson)

N.Williams

Gomez

Phillips

Tsimikas

Kid 1

Kid 2

Kid 3 

(We can't risk any of our 3 remaining fit midfielders)

Minamino

Origi

Gordon

This. We’re in no position to risk any further injuries. Especially in midfield. Also I would play Adrian or some other keeper in goal if Alisson is not available.

1 minute ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

This. We’re in no position to risk any further injuries. Especially in midfield. Also I would play Adrian or some other keeper in goal if Alisson is not available.

Anyone but Adrian!

Kelleher was ill today, but hopefully ok for this.

Putting being a ginger toe sucking weirdo to one side , Uk number one at the time of the above mentioned game was this Status Quo cover by Paul Scholes daughter and long second toe connoisseur Alexandra Burke. Rumoured to be the original soundtrack for The Bill, this song reached 44 in Senegal and goes down in history as the only vinyl that was ever bought before a newspaper on a Monday morning in Sweden, Estonia and Oregon. 

Preston play five at the back, don't win very often and concede a lot on counter-attacks from their own unsuccessful set-pieces. There was gossip last week that we might play Bradley in midfield in front of Neco, and I don't suppose today's injuries make that less likely. Gordon hasn't played at any level since before the last international break. The team for tomorrow's reserves against Blackburn will probably indicate more.

• Like 1

Jimmy Armfield was a Donkey Lasher. Nowt to do wi' t'Nobbers.

After a decentish season last year and the year before, it would appear that the Nob End have reverted back to their usual losing ways.

No doubt they'll show up for this and make it a hard game for us.

Deepdale used to be a great place to watch footy, especially when the old Town End was still standing. Now it's a soul-less Italian stadium rip off in the middle of a shithole that isn't getting much better sadly.

I would've enquired about any spare tickets but I'm in work until 6:50 so that ended that one.

9 hours ago, alles ist gut said:

Preston play five at the back, don't win very often and concede a lot on counter-attacks from their own unsuccessful set-pieces. There was gossip last week that we might play Bradley in midfield in front of Neco, and I don't suppose today's injuries make that less likely. Gordon hasn't played at any level since before the last international break. The team for tomorrow's reserves against Blackburn will probably indicate more.

How come Gordon hadn’t played, mate ? Has he been injured ?

10 hours ago, an tha said:

Kelleher (if recovered from illness, if not Alisson)

N.Williams

Gomez

Phillips

Tsimikas

Kid 1

Kid 2

Kid 3 

(We can't risk any of our 3 remaining fit midfielders)

Minamino

Origi

Gordon

Another outing - and hopefully another win - for the little tiny baby Reds.

Get, in there, sit on Shankly's face, get the win, get out.

Just get these beat, Reds.

32 minutes ago, Moctezuma said:

Given how short we are in midfield currently, does anyone know if there is an other youth team player who could contribute alongside Chamberlain and Morton in the Midfield? Losing Jones would make the Brighton game pretty difficult.

Can't really afford to field Oxlade either.

As it stands it is just Oxlade, Hendo and Jones who are fit and given Oxlade's fitness history i would rather he was nowhere near the game on Weds or we could end up with just 2 available on Saturday.

1 minute ago, an tha said:

Can't really afford to field Oxlade either.

As it stands it is just Oxlade, Hendo and Jones who are fit and given Oxlade's fitness history i would rather he was nowhere near the game on Tues or we could end up with just 2 available on Saturday.

We’d be better starting with two anyway.

25 minutes ago, Moctezuma said:

Given how short we are in midfield currently, does anyone know if there is an other youth team player who could contribute alongside Chamberlain and Morton in the Midfield? Losing Jones would make the Brighton game pretty difficult.

We have similar quality midfielders to Morton; the issue would be the lack of maturity and likelihood of panic in midfield with two actual teenagers and a sulky tit who hates defending. There’s an argument for moving Minamino back just for the leadership.