You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the Week that Was (Oct 18-22 2021)

tlw content

theweekthatwas.jpg

Monday Oct 18:

So the PL clubs did fuck all to stop the Newcastle takeover but they are getting together to ensure they aren’t allowed to write blank cheques for sponsorship deals paid for by the owners. All except one of course. The one who have built their success on doing exactly that. Even Chelsea under Abramovich never resorted to that vastly inflated sponsorship shit. I’d love to have been there to hear City try to argue their corner on that when the discussions were taking place. They never even had the balls to vote with Newcastle though, they abstained, which is even worse really. 

I just feel like is one of those ‘finger in the dike’ scenarios. The clubs might be able to plug that particular hole but there’ll be all kinds of other holes appearing all over the gaff, especially when Newcastle’s lawyers team up with City’s legal team and get the whole concept of FFP thrown out completely. Because that’s where this is headed. And the more I think about it, the more I suspect the reason that the other clubs didn’t put up more of a fight to stop this happening is because half (or more) of the owners in the league are looking enviously at Mike Ashley and thinking “I wish we could have cashed in like that”.

In more depressing news (for me anyway), Adele is releasing a new single this week as we prepare to face Luis Suarez tomorrow night. It feels like the universe is taunting me now.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that 'the Week that Was' is only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• dave u pinned this topic
42 minutes ago, alles ist gut said:

Top, top Luke Shaw secret dietician analysis there, Dave.

It’s even better when you factor in Dave's own dietary choices. A potato-only diet and yet he can still see right to the heart of Shaw’s burger issues. Next level analysis, for me. 

• Upvote 1

I'd love to see a video of Suarez playing footy with his kids........ barging into his 5-year-old, hitting the deck, holding the back of his head with one arm waving in the air. Then asking for a yellow!

Agree totally about Newcastle - I'm infuriated, depressed and saddened in equal measures and it's another nail in the coffin for footy for me. Not sure about letting Abramovich off the hook because he didn't use that sponsorship scam. He didn't need to, he got most of his outrageous and inflationary spending in prior to FFP. Then they developed the strategy of acquiring loads of young talent, by fair means and foul (hence the transfer ban), never playing any of them, then selling them on. And  Chelsea still owe him £1.1 billiion!!

Swiss Ramble..... 'Since Abramovich acquired the club, he has put £1.3 bln into the club (though he was actually repaid £4.5m in 2020), including £357m share capital. Most of this funding has been seen on the pitch with a massive £1.1 bln spent on players (net), while £170m went on infrastructure.'

'

Chelsea have a unique ownership structure, wherein the club’s debt (about £1.3 billion with a ‘b’ owed to Abramovich) has been converted to debt held in a holding company, Fordstam Limited.

This bit of financial hand-waving means that Chelsea, as a club, are essentially debt-free, though Abramovich could theoretically call in the full amount owed, which could lead to an interesting situation — though in practice would essentially mean he’s selling the club and the new buyer would have to fulfill that debt).

https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2021/2/16/22283804/musings-chelsea-2019-20-finances-and-covid-pandemic-impacting-results-player-sales-roman-abramovich

They also must have a gazillion players on their roster,...... midfielders alone: Kante, Jorginho, Kovic, Loftus-Cheek, Barkley, Drinkwater, Bakayoko, Gilmour, Gallagher, (last few out on loan) and probably a load more i've never heard of. And they brought in Saul from Atletico!?

• Upvote 6

On 23/10/2021 at 16:57, DaveT said:

I'd love to see a video of Suarez playing footy with his kids........ barging into his 5-year-old, hitting the deck, holding the back of his head with one arm waving in the air. Then asking for a yellow!

Agree totally about Newcastle - I'm infuriated, depressed and saddened in equal measures and it's another nail in the coffin for footy for me. Not sure about letting Abramovich off the hook because he didn't use that sponsorship scam. He didn't need to, he got most of his outrageous and inflationary spending in prior to FFP. Then they developed the strategy of acquiring loads of young talent, by fair means and foul (hence the transfer ban), never playing any of them, then selling them on. And  Chelsea still owe him £1.1 billiion!!

Swiss Ramble..... 'Since Abramovich acquired the club, he has put £1.3 bln into the club (though he was actually repaid £4.5m in 2020), including £357m share capital. Most of this funding has been seen on the pitch with a massive £1.1 bln spent on players (net), while £170m went on infrastructure.'

'

Chelsea have a unique ownership structure, wherein the club’s debt (about £1.3 billion with a ‘b’ owed to Abramovich) has been converted to debt held in a holding company, Fordstam Limited.

This bit of financial hand-waving means that Chelsea, as a club, are essentially debt-free, though Abramovich could theoretically call in the full amount owed, which could lead to an interesting situation — though in practice would essentially mean he’s selling the club and the new buyer would have to fulfill that debt).

https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2021/2/16/22283804/musings-chelsea-2019-20-finances-and-covid-pandemic-impacting-results-player-sales-roman-abramovich

They also must have a gazillion players on their roster,...... midfielders alone: Kante, Jorginho, Kovic, Loftus-Cheek, Barkley, Drinkwater, Bakayoko, Gilmour, Gallagher, (last few out on loan) and probably a load more i've never heard of. And they brought in Saul from Atletico!?

Chelsea have been clever more than anything. They've bent some rules, certainly. Broken tons on youth recruitment as well. They haven't done anything like what City have though, and most of their huge spending was when there were no rules in place against it.

I didn't know about the debt owed to Abramovich though. Interesting that. Basically means they can't be sold to anyone else. If he ever calls that debt in, they're FUCKED.

• dave u unpinned this topic