Jump to content
Bjornebye

Would you welcome a Sterling return - Yes or No ?

Would you welcome a Sterling return - Yes or No ?   

121 members have voted

  1. 1. Would you welcome a Sterling return - Yes or No ?



Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

 

Mascherano and, particularly, Alonso are two more examples.

 

I suspect some of it has to do with it moving to a domestic rival.

 

Sterling of course was only 20 years old when he left, and therefore could (should) be more readily forgiven for life choices made then.

The whole thing makes me really uncomfortable, seeing the vitriol from our fans at an ex LFC player particularly given he’s a young man who came from a dirt poor background and has spoken out against the racism he’s encountered. He’s not the first to leave for more money despite being ultra rich already and I think Mo will be next if he goes to PSG but he won’t get this shit when he comes back to play against us. 

 

I think the club played a part in destroying Sterling’s image with the fans, selective leaking to journalists about contract talks etc so it was easier to sell someone who at the time was one of the most promising young players in the world.
 

I would much rather we politely applauded him like we do for our other ex players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

I think the club played a part in destroying Sterling’s image with the fans, selective leaking to journalists about contract talks etc so it was easier to sell someone who at the time was one of the most promising young players in the world.

 

The club and his agent between them didn't exactly cover themselves in glory. Meanwhile stuck in the middle is a teenage kid. It's abundantly clear we were keen to make a profit and his agent was keen to cop a huge wedge of cash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

 

The club and his agent between them didn't exactly cover themselves in glory. Meanwhile stuck in the middle is a teenage kid. It's abundantly clear we were keen to make a profit and his agent was keen to cop a huge wedge of cash.

Yes I agree. I remember him playing in the 5.0 away at Spursa few years back when he went past about 4 players then virtually passed it back to their goalie from 3 yards. Would have been goal of the season. I liked him when he played for us and would welcome him back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he's a bit of an arrogant cunt so would not be a good fit for our club any more. The wages he would demand are likely to be too high for our owners to pay for a potential bench warmer too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we’re genuinely interested, then I fear it’ll be as Salah’s replacement. Possibly in a kick in the teeth, cash + player deal with Man City since they’re one of about four clubs he could realistically go to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

If we’re genuinely interested, then I fear it’ll be as Salah’s replacement. Possibly in a kick in the teeth, cash + player deal with Man City since they’re one of about four clubs he could realistically go to.


Listen, you’re allowed to go around being negative about everything but you can’t be saying things like that. That’s not on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

If we’re genuinely interested, then I fear it’ll be as Salah’s replacement. Possibly in a kick in the teeth, cash + player deal with Man City since they’re one of about four clubs he could realistically go to.

Fuuuuuuuck offfff.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:


Listen, you’re allowed to go around being negative about everything but you can’t be saying things like that. That’s not on. 

Doesn’t it seem a bit of an odd one though, this Sterling link? Almost like someone is testing the waters to see how his return would be received.


Klopp’s demeanour whenever he’s asked about Salah’s contract isn’t great either - there’s none of the reassurance he saw fit to provide when it came to Henderson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Doesn’t it seem a bit of an odd one though, this Sterling link? Almost like someone is testing the waters to see how his return would be received.


Klopp’s demeanour whenever he’s asked about Salah’s contract isn’t great either - there’s none of the reassurance he saw fit to provide when it came to Henderson.


I think it’s pretty clear now that Salah is asking for megabucks. It’s out of Klopp’s hands. Hopefully FSG stump up the dough. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

I’d welcome him back. Always felt a bit uncomfortable with the opprobrium he got compared to other players who have also left for more money or bigger clubs like for example Gini or Suarez. If Mo left tomorrow for PSG on a £1m per month deal he wouldn’t get this hatred. Never felt right to me to hate an ex LFC player. 

I agree. Never felt anything like hatred for Sterling when he went - he was a young prospect and we were shite. 
 

Suarez gets a free ride based on the 1 exceptional season he had, which was after he had said he would down tools if we didn’t sell

him to arsenal, who had put a fucking joke bid in for him. Add to that he’s a fucking cheating, snidey little rat of a player. 
 

Mascherano is another and he gets no shit either. Actually refused to play.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he comes back he should be made to do three rounds in the boxing ring with Gomez.  Make it pay for view to cover his first year's salary. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope he steps on a plug.

 

Then, as he is hopping around screaming like a schoolgirl, steps on one of his 5 kids square lego with the other foot and goes down like he does in the penalty area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Belarus said:

I agree. Never felt anything like hatred for Sterling when he went - he was a young prospect and we were shite. 
 

Suarez gets a free ride based on the 1 exceptional season he had, which was after he had said he would down tools if we didn’t sell

him to arsenal, who had put a fucking joke bid in for him. Add to that he’s a fucking cheating, snidey little rat of a player. 
 

Mascherano is another and he gets no shit either. Actually refused to play.

Ask yourself why Sterling gets abuse but Mascherano doesnt’ ? It’s embarrassing. We should stop it and give him the same respect as any other ex player. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

Ask yourself why Sterling gets abuse but Mascherano doesn't? It’s embarrassing. We should stop it and give him the same respect as any other ex player. 

I think it's because Raheem Sterling went to one of our domestic rivals and Mascherano went abroad. Also Raheem Sterling is English, and English players are held to a higher standard in terms of their loyalty. 

 

If Saka left Arsenal for us, he'd get booed by Arsenal fans. Would they boo Aubameyang if he left for us? Probably not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, aws said:

If he comes back he should be made to do three rounds in the boxing ring with Gomez.  Make it pay for view to cover his first year's salary. 

Beat me to it. Was just going to write the same but with the proviso that if he lasts one round, we will consider his application.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×