You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Would you welcome a Sterling return - Yes or No ?

Bjornebye

Would you welcome a Sterling return - Yes or No ?   

121 members have voted

1. 1. Would you welcome a Sterling return - Yes or No ?

I’d welcome him back. Always felt a bit uncomfortable with the opprobrium he got compared to other players who have also left for more money or bigger clubs like for example Gini or Suarez. If Mo left tomorrow for PSG on a £1m per month deal he wouldn’t get this hatred. Never felt right to me to hate an ex LFC player. 

38 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

I’d welcome him back. Always felt a bit uncomfortable with the opprobrium he got compared to other players who have also left for more money or bigger clubs like for example Gini or Suarez. If Mo left tomorrow for PSG on a £1m per month deal he wouldn’t get this hatred. Never felt right to me to hate an ex LFC player. 

Very few players leave this club with hatred from the fans. Very very few. 

15 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

The abuse in the last few years has been due to the fact the player himself let it get to him. If he didn't, he wouldn't get anything more than the odd verbal at this stage. 

He's not good one v one with the keeper and his shooting is generally weaker than I see at Adrianna's Sunday footy.

That being said, he's quite brilliant at everything else and is a really intelligent player. He can play pretty much anywhere and his decision making is usually spot on.

He's probably the least convincing looking world class player out there.

When we play City I'm a lot happier when isn't playing because he scares me more than anyone else they have other than De Bruyne, and now maybe Foden too.

37 minutes ago, dave u said:

He's not good one v one with the keeper and his shooting is generally weaker than I see at Adrianna's Sunday footy.

That being said, he's quite brilliant at everything else and is a really intelligent player. He can play pretty much anywhere and his decision making is usually spot on.

He's probably the least convincing looking world class player out there.

When we play City I'm a lot happier when isn't playing because he scares me more than anyone else they have other than De Bruyne, and now maybe Foden too.

He isn't world class. 

7 minutes ago, dave u said:

Depends how you define it and it's a subjective term.

He's been Player of the Year and been nominated for the Balon D'or a few times. He's not Messi or Ronaldo but he's been one of Europe's best players for the last five years.

As you mentioned, the amount of sitters he misses and his greed drops him down a peg from world class. He wouldn't start for us right now. Plus, he's a little prick. 

18 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

I’d welcome him back. Always felt a bit uncomfortable with the opprobrium he got compared to other players who have also left for more money or bigger clubs like for example Gini or Suarez.

Mascherano and, particularly, Alonso are two more examples.

I suspect some of it has to do with it moving to a domestic rival.

Sterling of course was only 20 years old when he left, and therefore could (should) be more readily forgiven for life choices made then.