You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Streaming Services Thread

Section_31

• 7 months later...
On 29/03/2022 at 08:32, Captain Turdseye said:

I’ve used The Oath and Fen a lot but I’ve started using the Venom add on, and it’s been a revelation. Get on it, boys. Trust in Turdseye. 

Are you running Kodi on pc ? 

Was thinking of trying it on firestick , but thought it might slow me down .

Haven't used Kodi for years 

24 minutes ago, elvis said:

Are you running Kodi on pc ? 

Was thinking of trying it on firestick , but thought it might slow me down .

Haven't used Kodi for years 

Kodi plus an app plus a Real Debrid subscription, on a Firestick, is both quick and light.

The RD sub costs around £15 for 6 months and you'll have access to literally everything that's available on all those other, far more expensive streaming platforms combined.

The thing which slows Kodi down are these big fat and bloated shit fucking builds. These builds might look the business but they just slow everything down before they eventually fail because the build designer cannot be arsed to constantly keep them up to date.

• 1 month later...

I got the usual Now TV offer through, and was vaguely tempted but fortunately realised it was for TV shows only. You have to pay extra for the movies and I'm not entirely sure that it includes their 'boost' service, which kindly lets you watch their piss poor quality shows without being interrupted by ads on a shitty standalone player.

Had a quick look around to see if they'd improved at all, and unsurprisingly they're still utter shite- https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/nowtv.com

• 9 months later...

Never knew Netflix was still operating a DVD mail rental service- https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/sep/29/netflix-dvds-final-sent-by-mail

The bolded must be one of the biggest fuck-ups ever, although even if Blockbuster had bought Netflix, they might not have gone into streaming as successfully-

No need to send it back: Netflix posts its final DVDs to customers

Mail-based service has had a 25-year run in the US but the streaming business eclipsed it long ago

Most of Netflix’s 238 million streaming customers around the world will be unaware that the company first launched 25 years ago as a DVD mailing service. Even fewer might realise that operation has continued, with under 1 million people still subscribing.

But the company is finally hitting the stop button, with its five remaining US distribution centres mailing out their final discs to American customers on Friday.

These DVD diehards will be allowed to keep these titles rather than return them, meaning some will get up to 10 as a goodbye present from a business that boasted as many as 16 million subscribers at its peak.

“It is very bittersweet,” Marc Randolph, Netflix’s co-founder and the chief executive when the company shipped its first DVD, told Associated Press. “We knew this day was coming, but the miraculous thing is that it didn’t come 15 years ago.”

Netflix does not break out the number of DVD subscribers in its figures, but according to an AP estimate fewer than 1 million people now subscribe to the service.

Randolph came up with the idea of a DVD-by-post service in 1997 – in a challenge to then rental market leader Blockbuster – with his friend and fellow entrepreneur, Reed Hastings, who eventually succeeded Randolph as CEO. He only stepped aside from that role this year.

The first disc sent out by Netflix was Tim Burton’s Beetlejuice in March 1998 and since then the company has shipped 5.2bn of them. Its most popular title was the Sandra Bullock vehicle The Blind Side.

However, Randolph said he knew that DVDs would not be the mainstay of the business and would be overtaken by watching films and TV shows through internet connections.

In 2011 Netflix decided to separate the DVD business from the streaming business, one year after Blockbuster went bankrupt – having turned down an opportunity in 2000 to buy Netflix for $50m (£41m) instead of trying to compete against it. The streaming giant is now worth about $166bn.

“From day one, we knew DVDs would go away, that this was transitory step,” Randolph said. “And the DVD service did that job miraculously well. It was like an unsung booster rocket that got Netflix into orbit and then dropped back to Earth after 25 years. That’s pretty impressive.”

Still prefer owning DVDs

This whole streaming thing has just gone the same way of subscription sports channels. The rights/films just get spread round more and more stations and you end up paying a fortune to subscribe. The idea it's easier,better for the consumer is nonsense. 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Still prefer owning DVDs

This whole streaming thing has just gone the same way of subscription sports channels. The rights/films just get spread round more and more stations and you end up paying a fortune to subscribe. The idea it's easier,better for the consumer is nonsense. 

Or just think 'fuck it' and go to a pirate streaming site.

37 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Still prefer owning DVDs

Yep. I sold loads of my DVDs years ago as I thought they'd all be online but they're not, gutted now.

15 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Yep. I sold loads of my DVDs years ago as I thought they'd all be online but they're not, gutted now.

The problem with DVDs is that they look shit on a full HD screen, never mind a 4K one, as they're only 480p. Blu-Rays are obviously better, but they're very expensive and- after chucking away first video tapes and then DVDs- I'm fucked if I'm shelling out again for the same stuff.

11 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Still prefer owning DVDs

Real Debrid is all you need.