You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Streaming Services Thread

Section_31

Which ones do you have? Recommend? Don't recommend etc?

We've got Now TV (it was the last thing I bought before the shutters came down during the first lockdown, left Runcorn Argos and grabbed my hat, Indiana Jones-style). Netflix and Amazon.

Amazon is very hit and miss unless you pay for stuff, can count on one hand how much stuff I've watched on it but it's got some gems like The Boys and Man in the High Castle. 

Everyone seems to have Netflix, same as above really, the Marvel stuff is class, there seems to be loads of shite on it though, increasingly so.

Now TV has deffo gone down hill, it seemed to have top drawer films on when I first got it now they're few and very far between, possibly due to the launch of Disney and HBO's own streaming services. 

I had Disney+ just to watch the Mandalorian, which was class, then got rid as it was mostly kids' stuff. I believe that's changed now though? Still, I think the three streaming services is about all I can manage in  terms of attention span for now. 

Amazon and Netflix. Only used Disney+ for a free week when I was ill and watched the Marvel films, there's nothing else on there I'm really interested in. Now TV's a bag of shite with its antiquated app (it's even standalone on desktop) and you have to pay extra to get HD. Amazon's got some decent stuff on it, but it's a bit limited- the X-Ray info on there is pretty good too, it gives you the actors' names in whatever scene you're currently on and other snippets of trivia. I probably use Netflix the most, but there's not much I can be bothered with these days and it might get canned soon as it's a bit pricey for what it is. 

She's got Amazon prime but I find it hard to navigate, the free to me stuff and the algorithms are shite. It does have some very good stuff on though and some mad documentaries. 

Netflix is very good. 

You do get lots of good stuff on IPlayer and ITV Hub to be fair, particularly decent dramas. 

I use Plex so I can essentially watch any film or TV programme for free in whatever quality I choose to download it in, 4K etc.. and you don’t have any potential buffering issues as you are hosting your own streams, however I also pay for Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney and I’ve got Sky Q. 

I used to just stream the footy but then I thought what’s the point in buying a big 4K telly and relying on streams of variable quality? Even though I’ve got Sportsebooks which is great it’s not the same as watching the footy in 4K. 

Netflix, Amazon and Disney probably cost me about £25 a month which is pretty reasonable. Everyone knows what is on Netflix but Disney is a no brainer if you’ve got kids and if you’re into Star Wars/Marvel stuff as an adult. But it’s got some other decent adult films and TV programmes on there now as well. McCartney 3,2,1 and Get Back got a start. 

I think Prime is underrated to be honest. It hasn’t got as many original series as Netflix but the Netflix originals are 80% shite that they churn out then cancel within a year or two. The quality on Prime is much better. 

The Boys, Bosch, Jack Ryan, Good Omens, Invincible (check that out if you haven’t already seen it @Section_31), are all top class. Then loads of other decent shows too like Hunters, Patriot and Sneaky Pete. The Wheel of Time out next month looks good too. 

They’ve got rights for some good stuff as well. Preacher, Into The Badlands, South Park, The Office (US), Hannibal, The Indiana Jones films and some of the sports films like the Gerrard and Maradona one are on there but it can be hard to find stuff. Don’t think it’s very user friendly. I’ve just started a rewatch of Justified and they’ve got all six seasons of that also. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Netflix- okay but lots and lots of shite, swerve any exclusive films, can't think of a decent one yet.

Amazon- better than Netflix for me, I tend to stumble onto more things to watch. Also have Starz through Amazon which has a few decent shows on it.

We took a free Starz trial out the other day to watch Godfather of Harlem. What else is on there? I haven't looked 

26 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

She's got Amazon prime but I find it hard to navigate, the free to me stuff and the algorithms are shite. It does have some very good stuff on though and some mad documentaries. 

Netflix is very good. 

You do get lots of good stuff on IPlayer and ITV Hub to be fair, particularly decent dramas. 

Download the prime app for your phone, hit search and the first option is ‘Included with Prime’. Easier to find stuff that way. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Bjornebye said:

We took a free Starz trial out the other day to watch Godfather of Harlem. What else is on there? I haven't looked 

Off the top of my head:

Pennyworth

Mr Mercedes 

Doom Patrol

Swamp Thing

Dr Death

Heels

Fringe 

Enjoyed all of them, Fringe I had watched before already but rewatched with my son, great show that.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Sugar Ape said:

All the Power series are Starz and BMF (Black Mafia Family) started a few weeks ago which looks decent. 

Power is still on Netflix but I've seen that however the spin off with Ghosts son I need to watch, cheers for the reminder 

1 hour ago, Elite said:

Kodi.

1 hour ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Kodi (or Nodi) plus Fen or Seren plus a Real Debrid subscription.

Total cost £30 for the year and there's every TV show and movie you could wish for.

You two are shameless. You’re an absolute disgrace. Other people pay for these services. If everyone else did what you’re doing, illegally I might add, the money wouldn’t be there to make these shows for decent, upstanding members of society. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Off the top of my head:

Pennyworth

Mr Mercedes 

Doom Patrol

Swamp Thing

Dr Death

Heels

Fringe 

Enjoyed all of them, Fringe I had watched before already but rewatched with my son, great show that.

Yeah loved Fringe.

7 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Also on Starz, I just finished Castle Rock which I really enjoyed, especially Season 2. Great if you are a Stephen King fan, loads of Easter eggs across both seasons.

I thought both those seasons started well but ended a bit shit.

1 minute ago, Elite said:

I thought both those seasons started well but ended a bit shit.

Like most King stuff I guess, I agree they both tailed off but I still watched tobyhe end which I rarelydo of I'm bored getting .

I thought Lizzy Caplan was very good playing the Annie Wilks character.

As an aside Lizzy also stars in another show that is either on Amazon or Starz called Party Down, it's a few years old now but I thought it was really funny show full of people who have gone onto better things but I don't know anyone that has watched it.

1 hour ago, Captain Turdseye said:

You two are shameless. You’re an absolute disgrace. Other people pay for these services. If everyone else did what you’re doing, illegally I might add, the money wouldn’t be there to make these shows for decent, upstanding members of society. 

I was round at my brother's last night and said to his missus that she'd like Only Murders In The Building, she goes "What service is that on? Netflix?". Ha, like I'd fucking know or care about trivialities like that.

If it's out anywhere, on any platform, I've can watch it.