You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man Utd (A) - Sun 24th Oct 2021 (4:30pm)

Trumo

The third of 4 away games in a row since the international break. If the green-and-gold brigade have there way though, it might go the way of last season's fixture and not even take place. Despite spending over £100m in the summer, along with the lavish spending year after year, The Glazers get all sorts of shit from fans for not investing in the team. What the hell would the entitled gobshites do if their club had owners with FSG's level of prudence? Anyway:

Order. Lethalness. Energy. Speed. Audacity. Tactical flexibility. Tenacity. Heart. Effervescence. Wiliness. Heads screwed on. Endeavour. Electricity. Last laugh.

I don't ask for much.

Last season, their fans decided to go on the rampage, blocking team buses, breaking into Old Trafford and slapping some stewards and coppers around. Supposedly because they were up in arms about their club's involvement in trying to set up the European Super League. They weren't fooling anybody though. It was really a protest against the Glazers, and Sky's Manc cheerleader Gary 'man of the people' Neville was busy stoking the flames that led to these incidents yet, like Trump after the January 6th Capitol invasion, he then tried to say his words had nothing to do with it. He was so outspoken about it that he can't backtrack and claim his words were taken out of context.

Anyway, the rearranged fixture came shortly after the Mancs had laid down in front of Leicester to help the Foxes in their quest for a top 4 place while simultaneously derailing ours. We went behind when Big Nat deflected in a 'Bruno' shot that was going wide anyway. The shit twats who decide on the goalscorer gave it to the Portuguese cry-arse anyway. Probably because he was in their Fantasy League team. So far, it was going like practically every other corresponding fixture. We were even denied a penalty by Manchester's finest, and then got an equaliser when Diogo backheeled in an effort from Big Nat. And right on half time, Bobby got clear at the far post to power a header past De Gea (or was it Dean Henderson? I'm not sure.) Into the second half and Bobby got on the scoresheet again, reacting first to a rebound in the six yard box. We were suddenly looking something like the team of a year earlier. Then we allowed Rashford space down the middle and he rolled the ball past Ali to bring them within one goal. The late onslaught and the helping hand from the ref never came, and in the final minutes Mo broke clear to race onto a first-time volleyed pass by Curtis and place the ball into the far corner to confirm the win. The Mancs had dropped 6 points at home within a few days, and would go onto lose on penalties to Villarreal in the Europa League final.

Boxing Day 1978 though saw us visit Old Trafford. We were having a cracking season in the league and wold go on to regain it convincingly, possibly aided by an early exit in the European Cup when the eventual winners Forest overcame us. They'd won the league the previous season so they were obviously a strong side. Efficient rather than exciting. The Mancs were probably more exciting at the time but far less efficient, and we battered them 3-0. Ray Kennedy, Case and Fairclough got the goals. Can't tell you much more as I can't find any clips either, so here's a match report by Alex Ferguson's arse-kisser-in-chief Paddy Barclay from the Guardian.

GuardianMatchReport-1978-12-26-mancheste

The big movie for the festive period in 1978 is one of my favourites. The effects are obviously dated but the fella in the lead role knocks it out of the park. Superman: The Movie made Christopher Reeve a household name and has left a huge legacy on the cinematic landscape. Kal-el's story was known from DC Comics, and their two big superheroes Superman and Batman had both had outings on the small screen, but this was another level. Awesome theme music and excellent performances from Gene Hackman as the ruthless but ever-so-slightly camp Lex Luthor, Margot Kidder as the fiesty Lois Lane, Ned Beatty as Lex's bumbling sidekick Otis and Valerie Perrine as the sultry Eve Teschmacher helped the movie to transcend its comic book roots. That helicopter rescue of Lois Lane is majestic even now. The sequel is also superbly enjoyable with the big bad coming in the form of Phantom Zone escapees General Zod, mute Non and ice queen Ursa. The franchise went downhill after that, and what's come since hasn't matched the 1978 original for spectacle or enjoyment, and especially the sense of humour. Reeve's comedic chops as Clark Kent really help sell the dual identity.

The Mancs have a wealth of attacking options, but they are very much reliant upon individual magic to create moments and win games. It will be effective more often than not against most of the league thanks to that attacking depth, but there are times when this attacking strength cannot overcome glaring deficiencies further back. Let's render that attacking depth impotent and highlight the defensive issues and lack of overall cohesion this weekend, and take them to the fucking cleaners. Do what we know we can, and get the points. We have a forward doing a very passable impression of Superman at the minute. Is it a bird? Is it a plane?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I was Ole I’d copy Simeone’s setup against us,

3-4-1-2

De Gea; Bailly, Lindelof, Maguire; Wan-Bissaka, Pogba, Fred, Shaw; Fernandes; Greenwood, Ronaldo

Defend deep, play the strikers wide, long diagonals to the space behind the full backs. 

Wouldn't mind winning this one.  Shitting it though as we often play crap against them.

Although depending how you read the stats, in the last 3 seasons against them we are W3 D3 L0.

Or we've only got two wins there in the last 12 years, and last years probably shouldn't count as there were no fans.

Just win. Don't freeze and show them too much respect either. 

Shame that cunt is referee. Can't see how their isn't a conflict of interest there.  But just win. A twatting would be nice but I'll take a 1-0/2-0 now if offered.

Klopp always seems reticent when he plays these. They have never been more there for the taking then now. They will play better as shithouse good players always step up a level against bigger opposition, but if we do what we’ve been doing for a while now we can get the win. After dropping those points to Brentford, a win here would feel like we are fully back on track. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Klopp always seems reticent when he plays these. They have never been more there for the taking then now. They will play better as shithouse good players always step up a level against bigger opposition, but if we do what we’ve been doing for a while now we can get the win. After dropping those points to Brentford, a win here would feel like we are fully back on track. 

So he should be - they love playing against teams with a high line so they can just twat it up the field for the likes of Rashford to chase. I wouldn't be surprised to see us a little deeper on Sunday.

Love this game, despite it obviously not being the happiest hunting ground for us. They are so intense, it’s what it’s all about.

We scored 6 is our two trips to OT last season, despite the lack of fans I think we’ll go there and win. They’re so poor defensively.

Ali, Trent, Matip, VVD, Robbo, Fab, Hendo, Keita, Salah, Bobby, Mane.

Our 4-2 win there earlier this year seems completely forgettable given the absence of a crowd there. It was a means to an end in terms of getting a European Cup place and in no way memorable like the 4-1 under Rafa or 3-0 under Rodgers. Time to beat them again in front of their own crowd. 

2 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

Not for me when we went there with Suarez and Moyes was in charge was probably the most confident I've ever felt going to play them.

49 minutes ago, Mark M said:

Not for me when we went there with Suarez and Moyes was in charge was probably the most confident I've ever felt going to play them.

Moyes could organise a team infinitely better than Ole can.  If Klopp is brave we could hump these.  Even more than that game.  I think they are the worst they've ever been, now.