You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Atletico Madrid 2 Liverpool 3 (Oct 19 2021)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

It wasn’t pretty, it wasn’t convincing, it won’t be particularly memorable. But it sure was satisfying. There’s no worse team in the world to play than these. They’re fucking horrible but they’re also really fucking good. We saw both sides of that here and this was such a tough game.

It didn’t start that way. We couldn’t have wished for anything better than that start. We looked sharp but the big thing really was how unlike themselves they were. They weren’t difficult to play against in that opening 15, we had our way with them and Simeone was losing the plot on the touchline. Mind you, he’s like that regardless of the score, the annoying twat. 

We went ahead early when Mo skipped away from three challenges and fired in a shot that deflected past the keeper. Initially it was given as his goal as it had come off the defender. Then they gave it Milner because it looked like he’d side footed the ball in. Then they changed their mind again and said it hit the defender so it was Mo’s goal.

Milner won’t be arsed but Mo defo would have been, so this turned out for the best in the end. Mo deserved it for the way he skipped away from all those challenges. Atletico were rattled and it wasn’t long after they conceded another. What a strike too by Naby. Like his goal against Palace only this time with his other foot.

That was as good as it got for him though. I was actually typing out a message ripping him for a really shit pass seconds before when Atletico pulled one back. It was such an easy ball he could have rolled through for Mo but he messed it up completely. Seconds later they’re down the other end winning a corner, and from that corner he got absolutely skinned by Lemar which led to the goal.

It isn’t good defending from Keita but in mitigation he isn’t a full back and is never going to be comfortable in a situation where he’s left isolated against a tricky winger. Lemar beat him all ends up but maybe we need to be looking at how Naby was left in that one v one situation.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full report

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 3

• dave u pinned this topic

One thing that is being missed from all the mainstream coverage - they are the Spanish champions - they are a really good team, have spent a fortune and we beat them. If it had been Real Madrid or Barcelona in their place we'd be lauded but it's all lucky Liverpool and plucky Athletico.

• Upvote 4

Great report, Dave. For their first, you dont have to be a fullback to defend that corner played to Lemar. I didnt know it was Keita at the time but irrespective, you cant just let a player get past you like that and make no attempt to at least stay with him.

It's a shame really because after such a great strike for his goal, given the team's overall performance not being the best, many people would have said he didnt have the worst game out there. But the piss poor defending sours that somewhat.

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

For their first, you dont have to be a fullback to defend that corner played to Lemar. I didnt know it was Keita at the time...

Funny you say that. I didn't know it was him either, but when it happened, I thought "There isn't anyone on our team who would let that happen EXCEPT Keita." I cannot believe that Klopp still lets this absolute waste of space anywhere near our team. Ever. 

And no Premier League ref would have had the bollocks to make half the decisions this ref did. Other than the Milner and Trent yellows (especially the former), I thought he did a very admirable job. Reading the match thread back this morning, it seems many saw it differently, certainly in the first half.

I'm sure we'll see at least the same level of professionalism and integrity from the ref at the weekend against the mancs. Yup, nailed on. No question.

Great report Dave.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, StevieMax said:

Good report on a game that was a struggle at times, Dave, but you missed out Simeone refusing Klopp's hand at the end - probably the most shithouse thing he did.

Yep. The way he took off at full speed down the tunnel was laughable. Absolute cunt.

• Upvote 2

Great result, but the third time we've played a good team and third time the midfield has been overrun, there was a point last night when Atletico were playing one pass and were immediately on the edge of our box. Really alarming stuff.

Hopefully once we have a run of uninterrupted games we can sort this out, because you can't win trophies like that.

I think Klopp said in the press conference that the short corner routine was something we had planned for but we just didn't defend it properly. So obviously Keita was the designated man to defend Lemar or that space. He just didn't do it correctly. 

You can see how he would be the one put out there as he is not great in the air, probably wouldn't win a second ball in the box and wouldn't threaten on the counter. It's bad when you can't even find a position for him when defending a corner. 

• Upvote 2

AM is a very good team, skillful players and a strong identity. A shame their manager is a negative shithouse. They did very well with one man down, for a while they even dictated the tempo.

Virgil isn’t good  right now but he has to play to find back his level. 
We won but that was not pretty.

• Upvote 1

Keep hearing how bad our defending was , but look at the defending for our three goals from the ' best defensive team in Europe '. It is no secret that we can be got at behind the full backs because they operate so high , but our philosophy is that there are more positives than negatives in this tactic , and 21 games without defeat suggests Jurgen may be on to something.

• Upvote 5

In Henderson and Keita we have no protection for our right backs - or for the CBs.  Firmino coming on - and the Ox, who was great in his cameo, composed and making things happen - really rescued us.  We can fully expect to see the pattern of teams launching the ball over the head of our RB continue throughout the season.  I wonder if we'll ever try to counter this by finding a MF who can provide some support worth it's name, or at least prevent it at source by using the forwards to press more aggressively (which requires Jota rather than Firmino)?

I thought Bobby was excellent all over the pitch last night. Won the ball back at key moments in the second half when they had their tails up and went gunning for the win. He's looking more like the old Bobby these days. If Dave's feeling a Big Moment from Ox, I'm going for a no-look finish from Bobby against the mancs this weekend. 

13 hours ago, sir roger said:

Keep hearing how bad our defending was , but look at the defending for our three goals from the ' best defensive team in Europe '. It is no secret that we can be got at behind the full backs because they operate so high , but our philosophy is that there are more positives than negatives in this tactic , and 21 games without defeat suggests Jurgen may be on to something.

Yeah, I think our style of play can leave us open to conceding. Having said that the mf was all over rhe place in the 1st half and constantly lost shape. I thought Naby was  at fault for both goals. Even amateur players know that you dont show the winger the touchline in that position and for the 2nd a nice cynical foul was needed to stop Felix. As Jurgen said, a nice dirty win aided by a ref with a backbone. 

Simeone running down the tunnel didn't really really faze me at all as I'd have been more surprised if he'd done the honourable thing and stayed for the handshake. I didn't mention it as by the time I wrote the report I'd forgotten about it. He's a horrible, snide rat and his team are a mirror image of that.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, dave u said:

Simeone running down the tunnel didn't really really faze me at all as I'd have been more surprised if he'd done the honourable thing and stayed for the handshake. I didn't mention it as by the time I wrote the report I'd forgotten about it. He's a horrible, snide rat and his team are a mirror image of that.

Hasnt changed from his playing days the fuckin rattlesnake.

• dave u unpinned this topic
On 20/10/2021 at 20:55, stringvest said:

In Henderson and Keita we have no protection for our right backs - or for the CBs.  Firmino coming on - and the Ox, who was great in his cameo, composed and making things happen - really rescued us.  We can fully expect to see the pattern of teams launching the ball over the head of our RB continue throughout the season.  I wonder if we'll ever try to counter this by finding a MF who can provide some support worth it's name, or at least prevent it at source by using the forwards to press more aggressively (which requires Jota rather than Firmino)?

Firmino coming on?

Don't you mean Fabinho?

You've only gone and mixed up the F-ing Brazilians!