Jump to content
Trumo

Atlético Madrid (A) - CL, Tue 19th Oct 2021 (8:00pm)

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, El Rojo said:

Tyson Fury would have been proud of Bobby getting up from the canvas as quick as he did after that boot in the head. 

where there's no sense, there's no feeling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Game management? WTF?

 

We were the better team, we won the game, we deserved to win the game. 
 

Atletico tried to cheat their way to a draw, the ref did a good job, the only thing he got wrong was to not book the cheating diving fucker for trying to cheat his way to a penalty.

 

Again, fuck Atletico.

 

Like someone said last night, it takes som effort being the most hated team in your city, when Real Madrid is your neighbour. 
 

 

  • Upvote 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KMD7 said:

Crouch and Lescott both stated that their player interfered with play by running in front of Joel as the ball went to the goal. 

Tbh I can see it both ways on this. I'd trust the players opinion on it before Walton's though. 

I'd trust Peter Sutcliffe's opinion on it before Peter Walton's.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, m0e said:

And while I'm here, their 1st goal was 100% offside. Shite decision


Completely agree. 
 

That makes up for the VAR disallowed penalty - which IMO should have stood. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Scott_M said:


Completely agree. 
 

That makes up for the VAR disallowed penalty - which IMO should have stood. 


Should have stood? One of the clearest dives you will see. Blatant cheating.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Scott_M said:


Completely agree. 
 

That makes up for the VAR disallowed penalty - which IMO should have stood. 

How?!?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Code said:

Game management? WTF?

 

We were the better team, we won the game, we deserved to win the game. 


Are you implying we managed that game well? If so, I can’t agree. 
 

We conceded 2 poor goals. Alisson had to make 3 or 4 good saves. We were sloppy in possession, didn’t keep the ball well enough and looked shaky every time they attacked. The only time we dictated the tempo was when it was going around the back 4. As soon as progressed it forwards, we lost it.

 

There was a period of 5 mins before the penalty where we boxed them in but I can’t remember many other occasions.
 

It was like Brentford all over again, we just couldn’t either get the 4th (although we didn’t look like getting it) and couldn’t keep the ball well enough. 
 

But having said all that, I’m absolutely delighted with the win. As I said yesterday, we played a really good side, in a hostile atmosphere, a bogey side for us and we won the match. 


I hope Klopp points out significant holes in our performance to the players ahead of Sunday, because if we defend like that and offer as little control, we’ll get turned over. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Code said:


Should have stood? One of the clearest dives you will see. Blatant cheating.

 

4 minutes ago, aRdja said:

How?!?


Giminez absolutely made the most it, but it was very untidy from Jota. Wrong side, tried a little grab, bit of a body check. 
 

My first impression was it was a penalty and it shouldn’t take 88 replays at hyper slow motion to say otherwise. 
 

IMO, that wasn’t the definition of a “clear and obvious” mistake. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, m0e said:

Has Daisy popped in to talk about Wijnaldum yet?


He might have a point to be fair.

 

The lack of control we exercised over Brentford, Man City (although their tactics were spot on) and yesterday were few and far between with Gini in the side - 3 occasions in 4 games is a pattern to me. 
 

Only later in the season, when we finally have a run of Hendo, Fabinho & Thiago will we finally be able to tell. 
 

I do think there is something else going on in our midfield though. Playing Elliott over Hendo and Thiago. Not starting Fabinho last night. Hendo bombing forward more often… I know Klopp has said we need to be less predictable, but it’s leaving us more open. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Trojan1892 said:

They won the league last year and haven’t lost at home in Europe for four years before tonight and were given the weekend off by La Liga to prepare for the game but here we are having a few cry arse cunts on here getting hysterical because we conceded a couple of shit goals, please give your heads a fucking wobble.

100x this. I genuinely think not enough has been made of the fact that we started the same team (GK aside) that started at Watford just ~80 hours before - that game itself coming off the back of a three-games-in-a-week fucking international break (with typically associated injuries) - whilst our opponents, benefitting from a league that seems to value its teams performing in Europe, had the weekend off. There's arguments to be had about the Watford selection and also whether we should have rotated more (although I take Klopp's word that it was simpler to keep the team together from the weekend since they did virtually no training between games), but it's no wonder their midfield ran through ours a lot. They had their feet up while ours did 10k.

 

I'm fucking delighted. Nobody will go there and control the game comfortably as they're a clever, quality, well-coached and well-supported side: the best pretty much anyone can hope for is to stay in the game, control periods of it and take your chances, which is exactly what we did.

 

I get that it'd be nice to control the game more at 1-0, 2-0, 2-1 and 3-2 but they're like us - built on emotion and adrenaline. If we were behind at home we'd come roaring out like that and no doubt the opposition fans would bemoan not controlling us as well.

  • Upvote 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

 


Giminez absolutely made the most it, but it was very untidy from Jota. Wrong side, tried a little grab, bit of a body check. 
 

My first impression was it was a penalty and it shouldn’t take 88 replays at hyper slow motion to say otherwise. 
 

IMO, that wasn’t the definition of a “clear and obvious” mistake. 

Nah man, the fella deliberately ran into him and then chucked himself to the floor. Plus he was never getting anywhere near the ball.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Trojan1892 said:

They won the league last year and haven’t lost at home in Europe for four years before tonight and were given the weekend off by La Liga to prepare for the game but here we are having a few cry arse cunts on here getting hysterical because we conceded a couple of shit goals, please give your heads a fucking wobble.

 

8 minutes ago, Manny said:

100x this. I genuinely think not enough has been made of the fact that we started the same team (GK aside) that started at Watford just ~80 hours before - that game itself coming off the back of a three-games-in-a-week fucking international break (with typically associated injuries) - whilst our opponents, benefitting from a league that seems to value its teams performing in Europe, had the weekend off. There's arguments to be had about the Watford selection and also whether we should have rotated more (although I take Klopp's word that it was simpler to keep the team together from the weekend since they did virtually no training between games), but it's no wonder their midfield ran through ours a lot. They had their feet up while ours did 10k.

 

I'm fucking delighted. Nobody will go there and control the game comfortably as they're a clever, quality, well-coached and well-supported side: the best pretty much anyone can hope for is to stay in the game, control periods of it and take your chances, which is exactly what we did.

 

I get that it'd be nice to control the game more at 1-0, 2-0, 2-1 and 3-2 but they're like us - built on emotion and adrenaline. If we were behind at home we'd come roaring out like that and no doubt the opposition fans would bemoan not controlling us as well.

These two posts are so spot on we should close the thread now and prepare for Sunday

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably already been said but imagine spending all that money and having quality players like they do and you send your team out to play like that. 
 

Absolute shit on a stick. 
 

Fuck the hipsters.
 


 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone else notice Van Dijk wince when he landed on his right leg after winning the header vs Suarez. Understandable he's still got some way to go though that did worry me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's my feeling after the game. I think we're fragile and there are Brentford, Milan and this game that support that argument. It's very much not nonsense when there's stuff to prove what I think. We're a very good side with a few very bizarre weaknesses.

I agree we are very fragile and vulnerable at the moment. We are easy to score against. VVD is part of the issue. Griezmann did well but that was way too easy. But Virgil has to play on so he can improve. He really needs playing.

 

That was a strange game, we were in total control until their first goal and then it seems we mentally collapse. It’s too soon to be pessimistic, we have time to fix the issues, but we can’t deny we have issues. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, clockspeed said:

By the way Didi was an absolute knob on RTE tonight. Athletico best team he has seen this year, Bobby ran into Griezmans foot , all decisions went Liverpool's way  , jotas was a nailed on penalty. I have defended him a few times on various topics here but came across like an Evertonian last night. Poor.

 

Probably pissed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Scott_M said:


Are you implying we managed that game well? If so, I can’t agree. 
 


I do indeed.

We won the game 2-3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Code said:


I do indeed.

We won the game 2-3


Well yes, that’s the headline but it doesn’t tell the full story. 
 

Anyways, we won, I’m made up. Improvements needed for Sunday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2-0 can be a dangerous score, as the other team just let loose and attack as they've got nothing left to lose. It can be hard to defend against, and has happened countless times before.

 

I do think the midfield needs a kick up the arse though as they're being overrun. And when I say the midfield, I mean Henderson, he's playing poorly. 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

 


Giminez absolutely made the most it, but it was very untidy from Jota. Wrong side, tried a little grab, bit of a body check. 
 

 

Grab and body check?

Did you watch a different game?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×