You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Atlético Madrid (A) - CL, Tue 19th Oct 2021 (8:00pm)

Trumo

20 minutes ago, Einch said:

Anyone else notice Van Dijk wince when he landed on his right leg after winning the header vs Suarez. Understandable he's still got some way to go though that did worry me.

Yeah that could have been another knee injury he and we didnt need.

As for Hamann, he and Nicol seem to be in each other's pocket over who's more pissed off they never got a coaching job at Anfield when they finished playing. All the pair of them ever do is criticise the club, day in, day out.

I honestly never hear the pair of them criticise any other club as much. Hamann seems to have a thing against Jurgen in particular.

4 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Yeah that could have been another knee injury he and we didnt need.

As for Hamann, he and Nicol seem to be in each other's pocket over who's more pissed off they never got a coaching job at Anfield when they finished playing. All the pair of them ever do is criticise the club, day in, day out.

I honestly never hear the pair of them criticise any other club as much. Hamann seems to have a thing against Jurgen in particular.

Yes,Hamann is particularly embarrassing regarding Klopp.

33 minutes ago, Einch said:

Anyone else notice Van Dijk wince when he landed on his right leg after winning the header vs Suarez. Understandable he's still got some way to go though that did worry me.

I thought Alisson had given himself an eight month injury too for a few horrible moments. 

3 hours ago, clockspeed said:

By the way Didi was an absolute knob on RTE tonight. Athletico best team he has seen this year, Bobby ran into Griezmans foot , all decisions went Liverpool's way  , jotas was a nailed on penalty. I have defended him a few times on various topics here but came across like an Evertonian last night. Poor.

Ronnie Whelan was just as bad on the co-commentary

So that's Ronnie Whelan on RTL or Steve McManaman on BT ...Like having to chose between Dennis Nielsen or Jeffrey Dahmer as a roommate  

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, DaveT said:

I hope Trippier’s cat has been sick on an expensive rug and he treads in it in his bare feet.

He’s gone full native, that twat, getting Milner booked and trying the same on Mane.

I hope Trippier puts his best white shirt on to impress a girl and on their date he spills curry down it and it's ruined.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Dr Nowt said:

Not sure why people always claim I give the lad a hard time. Out of order.

In other news, massive shame we only drew that one tonight, but I loved both Mo’s goals.

Volley aside, it wasn't much of a departure from previous performances for us. He's just far too lightweight for the game we play. Maybe he can have a role in allowing rotation in relatively low-risk games like Watford. 

30 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Volley aside, it wasn't much of a departure from previous performances for us. He's just far too lightweight for the game we play. Maybe he can have a role in allowing rotation in relatively low-risk games like Watford. 

That’s what boils my piss about the situation so much. Just how predictable it was after one season. Fair enough, we absolutely should have given him season 2, because there are a multitude of reasons someone may not settle and find their form and the oft-quoted precedents of the few who’ve turned it round. 3rd season was really self-defeating and that he’s still here doing this 4 season in is just actively mocking ourselves.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

That’s what boils my piss about the situation so much. Just how predictable it was after one season. Fair enough, we absolutely should have given him season 2, because there are a multitude of reasons someone may not settle and find their form and the oft-quoted precedents of the few who’ve turned it round. 3rd season was really self-defeating and that he’s still here doing this 4 season in is just actively mocking ourselves.

Who's gonna buy him at anything but a massive loss? And I don't think FSG go in for that kind of thing.

Keita has scored a few crackers of late but other than that, not good at all against the very best. It's so frustrating that we have Elliot, Thiago and Jones all out, all much better options if they were fit. We're scraping the barrel by playing Keita. The lack of replacement for Wijnaldum does not help things.

Keita was directly at fault for both goals but it doesn't help having to play with Henderson playing utterly shite as well, and Milner wasn't much better either. 

Even at the start of the 2nd half, before the sending off AM were literally walking through our midfield - particularly when it looked like Ali got injured. Against 10 men it wasn't much better either. When Henderson is playing like that even Fabinho looks all at sea.

Henderson at the minute is playing as if he's at least a couple of phases behind play, rather like that ref Jon Moss I think it is.

• Downvote 1

Good article this

Liverpool goalkeeper Alisson Beckerpraised Jurgen Klopp for being a “maestro” in the dressing room but the Liverpool manager admits he probably got his team selection wrong against Atletico Madrid.

The Reds won an enthralling encounter in the Wanda Metropolitano 3-2 to make it three wins from three and take a five-point lead in their Champions League group.

It was not without its mishaps, however, as they squandered a 2-0 lead before half-time with momentum switching to the hosts.

That was when Klopp got to work, making his first tactical change by replacing Naby Keita with the more defensively minded midfielder Fabinho.

“I believe the boss is a maestro in talking in the right moments, the right things,” Alisson said. “I think he brought us in the game again in the changing room and also our attitude changed a little bit in the second half.”

Klopp’s decision to hook Keita did bring more control, although Antoine Griezmann’s red card handed Liverpool the advantage.

Keita had scored a brilliant volley but the defensive side of his game is still lacking and he was culpable – though not the only one – for allowing opponents to drift past him too easily for both Atletico goals.

The Guinea midfielder was playing his fifth match in 14 days – four of which have been starts for club and country – and that is considered a long run for a player with a chequered injury record over three previous three seasons at the club.

With Thiago Alcantara still not back in training after a calf problem a month ago and Curtis Jones only returning this week, Klopp’s midfield options have been reduced and that has meant relying more on Keita.

But the manager accepts balancing the needs of his team and keeping an eye on the workloads of key players is difficult and probably adversely influenced his selection in Madrid.

“The period we are in is really intense. So, would I choose exactly the same line-up again? Not sure,” Klopp said. “But we had so many things to consider: who is playing that didn’t play, who played where.

“I think in the end we had too many players on the pitch who played now for their national teams all the games, last Premier League game and stuff like this.

“My boys want always (to play well), that’s what I love most about them and if they can’t in moments, it’s most of the time my fault.”

Klopp was also keen to avoid Keita being the scapegoat for their erratic first-half performance.

“First and foremost, it was nothing to do with Naby – we just had to defend the right side a bit better,” he added. “But Naby scored a goal and I spoke to him already. It is really important to me that nobody thinks we played the first half – or the second part of the first half – because of Naby.

“Not at all, he is in really good shape, but he played three games for Guinea there and the last Premier League game 90 minutes. Forty-five minutes I think was absolutely right.”

Liverpool have a 100 per cent record in the Champions League, are unbeaten in the Premier League – in which they are the top scorers – and have scored three or more goals in all seven away matches in all competitions.

They have not lost since April – a sequence of 21 matches which is their longest run since going 24 unbeaten from January to May 1989 – but Klopp insists they are far from being comfortable.

“We are not that confident, to be honest. We know our struggles, we know our problems but we try to ignore them very often,” he said.

Someone who is not struggling for confidence is Mohamed Salah, who set a club record in Madrid after scoring in his ninth successive match and overtaking Steven Gerrard as the club’s leading Champions League goalscorer with 31.

He has 12 goals in 11 appearances this season – two of which have been brilliant individual efforts against Manchester City and Watford – and only Burnley, in late August, have prevented him scoring.

“He’s a fantastic player. He’s showing on the pitch all the time, making really nice goals, not just easy goals,” Alisson said. “But he contributes a lot for the team as well, not only scoring but helping in the defensive phase, playing for the team.

“He is a hungry player, he’s a hungry striker. I’m really happy for him. I hope that he continues that.”

Source: Independent

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

I'm not gonna respond to the 10 replies I've gotten about my very fair post, but we're unbeaten with most of our midfield and van Dijk being shite this season, which to be fair is something. And we're great in attack. 

Fair play to you for coming on here and being pretty fair. 

I was fucking stoned but it was still one of the weirdest games of football I’ve seen.  They looked hungover for 20 mins then we just stopped playing.

Thankfully the ref didn’t fall for most of their shit.  Horrible shithouse of a team to play against.  

The pricks red card making him miss the Anfield game there too.  Get a point there and we could rest every fucker for the next two but there’s money to be made so we won’t.