You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Atlético Madrid (A) - CL, Tue 19th Oct 2021 (8:00pm)

Trumo

Game management? WTF?

We were the better team, we won the game, we deserved to win the game. 

Atletico tried to cheat their way to a draw, the ref did a good job, the only thing he got wrong was to not book the cheating diving fucker for trying to cheat his way to a penalty.

Again, fuck Atletico.

Like someone said last night, it takes som effort being the most hated team in your city, when Real Madrid is your neighbour. 

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, KMD7 said:

Crouch and Lescott both stated that their player interfered with play by running in front of Joel as the ball went to the goal. 

Tbh I can see it both ways on this. I'd trust the players opinion on it before Walton's though. 

I'd trust Peter Sutcliffe's opinion on it before Peter Walton's.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Code said:

Game management? WTF?

We were the better team, we won the game, we deserved to win the game. 

Are you implying we managed that game well? If so, I can’t agree. 

We conceded 2 poor goals. Alisson had to make 3 or 4 good saves. We were sloppy in possession, didn’t keep the ball well enough and looked shaky every time they attacked. The only time we dictated the tempo was when it was going around the back 4. As soon as progressed it forwards, we lost it.

There was a period of 5 mins before the penalty where we boxed them in but I can’t remember many other occasions.

It was like Brentford all over again, we just couldn’t either get the 4th (although we didn’t look like getting it) and couldn’t keep the ball well enough. 

But having said all that, I’m absolutely delighted with the win. As I said yesterday, we played a really good side, in a hostile atmosphere, a bogey side for us and we won the match. 

I hope Klopp points out significant holes in our performance to the players ahead of Sunday, because if we defend like that and offer as little control, we’ll get turned over. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Code said:

Should have stood? One of the clearest dives you will see. Blatant cheating.

4 minutes ago, aRdja said:

How?!?

Giminez absolutely made the most it, but it was very untidy from Jota. Wrong side, tried a little grab, bit of a body check. 

My first impression was it was a penalty and it shouldn’t take 88 replays at hyper slow motion to say otherwise. 

IMO, that wasn’t the definition of a “clear and obvious” mistake. 

53 minutes ago, m0e said:

Has Daisy popped in to talk about Wijnaldum yet?

He might have a point to be fair.

The lack of control we exercised over Brentford, Man City (although their tactics were spot on) and yesterday were few and far between with Gini in the side - 3 occasions in 4 games is a pattern to me. 

Only later in the season, when we finally have a run of Hendo, Fabinho & Thiago will we finally be able to tell. 

I do think there is something else going on in our midfield though. Playing Elliott over Hendo and Thiago. Not starting Fabinho last night. Hendo bombing forward more often… I know Klopp has said we need to be less predictable, but it’s leaving us more open. 

3 hours ago, Trojan1892 said:

They won the league last year and haven’t lost at home in Europe for four years before tonight and were given the weekend off by La Liga to prepare for the game but here we are having a few cry arse cunts on here getting hysterical because we conceded a couple of shit goals, please give your heads a fucking wobble.

100x this. I genuinely think not enough has been made of the fact that we started the same team (GK aside) that started at Watford just ~80 hours before - that game itself coming off the back of a three-games-in-a-week fucking international break (with typically associated injuries) - whilst our opponents, benefitting from a league that seems to value its teams performing in Europe, had the weekend off. There's arguments to be had about the Watford selection and also whether we should have rotated more (although I take Klopp's word that it was simpler to keep the team together from the weekend since they did virtually no training between games), but it's no wonder their midfield ran through ours a lot. They had their feet up while ours did 10k.

I'm fucking delighted. Nobody will go there and control the game comfortably as they're a clever, quality, well-coached and well-supported side: the best pretty much anyone can hope for is to stay in the game, control periods of it and take your chances, which is exactly what we did.

I get that it'd be nice to control the game more at 1-0, 2-0, 2-1 and 3-2 but they're like us - built on emotion and adrenaline. If we were behind at home we'd come roaring out like that and no doubt the opposition fans would bemoan not controlling us as well.

• Upvote 7

9 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Giminez absolutely made the most it, but it was very untidy from Jota. Wrong side, tried a little grab, bit of a body check. 

My first impression was it was a penalty and it shouldn’t take 88 replays at hyper slow motion to say otherwise. 

IMO, that wasn’t the definition of a “clear and obvious” mistake. 

Nah man, the fella deliberately ran into him and then chucked himself to the floor. Plus he was never getting anywhere near the ball.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Trojan1892 said:

They won the league last year and haven’t lost at home in Europe for four years before tonight and were given the weekend off by La Liga to prepare for the game but here we are having a few cry arse cunts on here getting hysterical because we conceded a couple of shit goals, please give your heads a fucking wobble.

8 minutes ago, Manny said:

100x this. I genuinely think not enough has been made of the fact that we started the same team (GK aside) that started at Watford just ~80 hours before - that game itself coming off the back of a three-games-in-a-week fucking international break (with typically associated injuries) - whilst our opponents, benefitting from a league that seems to value its teams performing in Europe, had the weekend off. There's arguments to be had about the Watford selection and also whether we should have rotated more (although I take Klopp's word that it was simpler to keep the team together from the weekend since they did virtually no training between games), but it's no wonder their midfield ran through ours a lot. They had their feet up while ours did 10k.

I'm fucking delighted. Nobody will go there and control the game comfortably as they're a clever, quality, well-coached and well-supported side: the best pretty much anyone can hope for is to stay in the game, control periods of it and take your chances, which is exactly what we did.

I get that it'd be nice to control the game more at 1-0, 2-0, 2-1 and 3-2 but they're like us - built on emotion and adrenaline. If we were behind at home we'd come roaring out like that and no doubt the opposition fans would bemoan not controlling us as well.

These two posts are so spot on we should close the thread now and prepare for Sunday

10 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's my feeling after the game. I think we're fragile and there are Brentford, Milan and this game that support that argument. It's very much not nonsense when there's stuff to prove what I think. We're a very good side with a few very bizarre weaknesses.

I agree we are very fragile and vulnerable at the moment. We are easy to score against. VVD is part of the issue. Griezmann did well but that was way too easy. But Virgil has to play on so he can improve. He really needs playing.

That was a strange game, we were in total control until their first goal and then it seems we mentally collapse. It’s too soon to be pessimistic, we have time to fix the issues, but we can’t deny we have issues. 

3 hours ago, clockspeed said:

By the way Didi was an absolute knob on RTE tonight. Athletico best team he has seen this year, Bobby ran into Griezmans foot , all decisions went Liverpool's way  , jotas was a nailed on penalty. I have defended him a few times on various topics here but came across like an Evertonian last night. Poor.

Probably pissed.

2-0 can be a dangerous score, as the other team just let loose and attack as they've got nothing left to lose. It can be hard to defend against, and has happened countless times before.

I do think the midfield needs a kick up the arse though as they're being overrun. And when I say the midfield, I mean Henderson, he's playing poorly. 

• Upvote 1