You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Atlético Madrid (A) - CL, Tue 19th Oct 2021 (8:00pm)

Trumo

Thought the ref on their pen VAR check was a lesson that our refs could learn from.

He stayed calm and waited to watch it from every angle - ignored the crowd and overturned his initial decision - correctly.

Most of ours refs rush over have a quick glance and go ‘I was right’ and then rush back to confirm how 'right' they are.

• Upvote 2

Weird game really. Great result obviously but how come we spoiled  a 2 goal lead with poor defending ?

Once again we were poor with 1 man up. We played too slowly and too nicely. 

Outstanding game by Alisson ! 

Edited by Arnaud
Mistake
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Always do four if I’m on Paddy Power. Money back as a free bet if one lets you down. 

Inevitably my Tuesday one usually pays for another losing bet on Wednesday in CL weeks. 

Only ever use Betvictor (prices better than everywhere else for football).

Think they used to do money back if one fucks up out of five but it simply isn't worth doing five folds. The vast majority of my football bets are trebles.

Tomorrow's is something of a punt as there isn't much between 2/5 and shorter shots (like Chelsea, Bayern and Barcelona) and stuff at a price.

11/1, three aways, Juventus/Villarreal/Sevilla.

1 minute ago, an tha said:

Thought the ref on their pen VAR check was a lesson that our refs could learn from.

He stayed calm and waited to watch it from every angle - ignored the crowd and overturned his initial decision - correctly.

Most of ours refs rush over have a quick glance and go ‘I was right’ and then rush back to confirm how 'right' they are.

Spot on.

3 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

A nudge...whaat. ours was a blatant pen. Theres was a slight touch and then he threw himself down. VAR picked it up thats why it was disallowed

Jota’s was the nudge. It was more than a slight touch. The point I was making is Jota doesn’t need to touch him. The ball is bouncing out. Just don’t give him the opportunity to go down. Another ref and that gets given.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

I hope Keiran Tripper gets home dead late and there's no milk in his and the shops are closed. 

Just now, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I hope he can only find one of his slippers.

I hope Kieran Trippier's wireless mouse runs out of batteries during an important group chat. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, an tha said:

Ah...seems harsh that...it did not appear like it was a deliberate pause after hearing whistle and then lashing it away.

about 5 of their little shitbags flew to the ref as soon as he punted it demanding a booking

3 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Only ever use Betvictor (prices better than everywhere else for football).

Think they used to do money back if one fucks up out of five but it simply isn't worth doing five folds. The vast majority of my football bets are trebles.

Tomorrow's is something of a punt as there isn't much between 2/5 and shorter shots (like Chelsea, Bayern and Barcelona) and stuff at a price.

11/1, three aways, Juventus/Villarreal/Sevilla.

Ha. Coincidentally I did a five-fold on Victor last week or the week before. Four teams won and I was expecting the free bet. Didn’t realise they’d stopped doing it, which was a bit of a pisser. 

3 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Jota’s was the nudge. It was more than a slight touch. The point I was making is Jota doesn’t need to touch him. The ball is bouncing out. Just don’t give him the opportunity to go down. Another ref and that gets given.

Anthony Taylor would be falling over himself to award that at the toilet on Sunday.

It's strange VAR didnt refer the ref to have a look at the monitor for their first goal considering the time they took over it compared to their pen shout and telling him to review it.

Overall, I thought it was poor defending from the corner but by the time griezeman takes his shot at least one player is offside near Alli and jumps out of the way of the ball.

Walton's a tit and I dont even know what he said but I know it'll just be defending VAR to the hilt.

Thank f.... that's over with. Apart from the game on Sunday, that's about as close I am to hating watching football.

What a horrible, horrible team and manager.

Great result for us!

Now let's hope we can get 90 mins from Fab on Sunday. I'd rather avoid seeing Henderson in that no 6 role again.

• Upvote 1

Very strange game. We were as dominant as against Watford for the first 15-20 minutes, but then got opened up almost at will by Atletico. Their ball control with those long high balls in particular was near perfection. I don't think I saw their players miscontrol a single one of those. It was nearly always one of their ball carriers like Carrasco or Felix too, which meant they could get up the pitch. When they play like that they look an extremely good side.

Of course, another key element to their game is all the shithousery. Simeone is shameless about it. We knew they would try those antics, and it was even more obvious after Griezmann's red card. Koke their captain had been cry-arsing to the ref all night. Their centre backs always had something to say for themselves, and Suarez is no shrinking violet. Klopp did the right thing by taking off BGJ and Trent because after both had been booked, the Atletico players were trying to target them. Simeone at the end though? You stay classy Diego.

Cracking goal by Naby but he was getting bypassed too frequently and too easily when we were out of possession. Mo, despite his two goals (the first was fortuitous) struggled to get into the game, and Sadio and Bobby couldn't make any telling contributions either.

I didn't even realise Griezmann had gone in with a high foot at first, and I was watching it at the time. I just assumed Bobby had been sandwiched by the two Atletico players. It was dangerously high and reckless by Griezmann so by the letter of the law it's a red, but I don't believe any malice was intended. It was a nice touch by him to check on Bobby before he went off, in stark contrast to his lunatic of a card-waving cry-arsing cheerleading manager.

Daft challenge by Hermoso on Jota, as blatant a penalty as you'll see. I don't think the one at the other end was, because the Atletico player was clearly looking for it, and because whatever contact there was wasn't enough to send him sprawling the way he did. VAR called that right for me, and I'm not saying that because we benefitted from it.

Alisson, bar one hasty clearance that cannoned back off Big Bird and almost put the Atletico forward clear in the first half, proved a formidable last line, making several crucial saves. Nothing fancy, just doing all the basics to an exceptional standard.

9 points from 9 then, and one foot in the next round. I hope the ref is strong for the next game because Simeone's boys are going to go all-out shithouse.

• Upvote 3