You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Replace the front three

Jose Jones

As we all know, Mo is not going to sign a new contract, and Sadio and Bobby are getting old and shit, so it's time to replace all of them (Jota can stay as first reserve option).

But how are you going to do it?

For this exercise the nerd virgins at transfermarkt have assigned a (completely nonsensical) value to every player: https://www.transfermarkt.com/spieler-statistik/wertvollstespieler/marktwertetop

Our players values are:

Salah = €100m

Mane = €85m

Firmino = €40m

Total = €225m

So lets assume we have sold them all for that amount.  How are you spending the €225m to get us the best new front line? 

The rules are to use the transfermarkt values, https://www.transfermarkt.com/spieler-statistik/wertvollstespieler/marktwertetop, and you must buy at least one Right Winger, Left Winger and Centre Forward.  However if you prefer to spend less than the €225m you can add some squad depth if you like with any left overs.

Who can spend the money the best?

Off you go then nerd virgins.... 

Why isn't Salah signing a new contract?  (Or is that just the premise to facilitate this thread?)

Because he's going somewhere else?

Or because we won't move heaven and earth to give the best striker on earth at the moment whatever he wants for 3 or 4 years?

He's looking better now than that very first season he arrived.

He could be the best striker in the world for the next 3 years.

If we are resigned to his going, it should only be because he doesn't want to be here - not money.

Anyway, didn't mean to derail the nerdfest.  

Carry on.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, s(k)aturation said:

Why isn't Salah signing a new contract?  (Or is that just the premise to facilitate this thread?)

Because he's going somewhere else?

Or because we won't move heaven and earth to give the best striker on earth at the moment whatever he wants for 3 or 4 years?

He's looking better now than that very first season he arrived.

He could be the best striker in the world for the next 3 years.

If we are resigned to his going, it should only be because he doesn't want to be here - not money.

Anyway, didn't mean to derail the nerdfest.  

Carry on.

Yes.

6 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

I was going to write something very similar.

Sign Haaland and Chiesa and play Elliot with them.

I don't even like Halaand but I think he makes things easier for us. Instead of trying to find two high scoring wingers you can go with a Chiesa or Raphina type that are brilliant but won't replace the 50 goals Mo and Sadio get between them.

4 minutes ago, No2 said:

I don't even like Halaand but I think he makes things easier for us. Instead of trying to find two high scoring wingers you can go with a Chiesa or Raphina type that are brilliant but won't replace the 50 goals Mo and Sadio get between them.

Yeah, we'd be a different type of side but as you say Haaland would remove a lot of the necessity for the two wide players to get loads of goals. 

I think Chiesa is good enough, and young enough, that he could develop into a player that gets 15-20 a season anyway.