Sign in to follow this  
Belarus

Liverpool All Time 11 - Midfielders - RERUN 2!

Liverpool All Time 11 - Midfielders - RERUN  

47 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Pick your top 3…

• Mascherano
    • Fabinho
    • Milner
    • McAllister
    • Wijnaldum
    • Heighway
    • Hughes
    • Whelan
    • Molby
    • Gerrard
    • Souness
    • McManaman
    • Alonso
    • McDermott
    • Henderson
    • Callaghan
    • Berger
    • Lee
    • Kennedy
    • Houghton

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 15/10/21 at 19:15

Souness Gerrard and Kennedy. 

Surprised at the low voting for Ray on this tbh. One of Paisleys favourite players.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hamann, Alonso, Gerrard.

Since Didi is no longer an option Fab comes in for him. Mascherano and Berger have no business being on this list.

• Upvote 1

Emlyn, Gerrard, Souness. Terry Mac  on the bench. Cally misses out because we're playing a midfield three. 

• Upvote 1

If Emlyn misses out in midfield, put him in the forward options. One of our greatest players and captains should be in the team somewhere. 

9 minutes ago, aws said:

If Emlyn misses out in midfield, put him in the forward options. One of our greatest players and captains should be in the team somewhere. 

Haha

Gerrard, Souness & McDermott.

Each of them can be described as"the complete midfielder". Energy; reading of the game; defensive diligence; fierce tackling; exquisite range of passing; and not shy of a run into the box or a shot from distance.

Kennedy, Souness, McDerrmott for me.  3 European Cups each.

And yet Hughes, Gerrard and Callaghan could walk into an all-time first XI too.

Now that's what you call squad depth.

• Upvote 1

Of the older players; McDermott and Dalglish were the two players whose quality look pretty obvious when you watch YouTube videos of them. 

2 hours ago, Belarus said:

Spot on

This.  Only saw the latter years of Cally but what I saw and heard from my folks, he should be in any all time 11. As should Billy of course, but we only had the privilege of watching Barnsey.. 

Souey and Stevie would be the greatest midfield pairing of any English team, even though both were treacherous bastards.

Gerrard, Alonso, Mascherano.

Part of the best midfield in the world, don’tcha know. 

As a 39 year old, I still think they were the best 3 I’ve seen for us. As great as the last few seasons players have been as a unit, I like these 3 players more individually. 

9 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Just reading through whilst eating my morning toast. I note there’s people not including Gerrard or Souness in their three.

My toast knows more about football than them. 

I’ve not picked Souness because I’ve never seen him play. I was 3 when he went to Italy! 

I recognise in a 4-3-3, Souness, Gerrard and, likely, McDermott, would be the most appropriate 3 but I’d only be picking 2 of them from old videos and reputation. 

Maybe not in Souness’ case, but I do think the 4-3-3 means players like Callaghan or Kennedy won’t get as many votes as they would in other formations. 

Just now, Scott_M said:

Ive not picked Souness because I’ve never seen him play. I was 3 when he went to Italy! 

Maybe not in Souness’ case, but I do think the 4-3-3 means players like Callaghan or Kennedy won’t get as many votes as they would in other formations. 

I’d expect a Top Red such as yourself to be a dedicated student of the clubs history. Not difficult to find plenty of evidence to show that Souness was a better, certainly more complete, midfield player than Alonso or Mascherano.