You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Top 5 really boring musical acts everyone buzzes off

Chris

36 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:
  1. The Who especially the rock opera crap. Saw them at the O2 and everyone went to the bar when Pete Townsend started playing that shit. 
  2. Joy division - does anyone still actually listen to them ?
  3. Manic Street Preachers - 6th form politics. 
  4. Fleetwood Mac - saw them also at the 02, lots of drum solos
  5. Van Morrison - 1 decent song and a lifetime of being a surly cunt. 

I hope I die before I become Pete Townshend – Kurt Cobain.

What's his name all about anyway? Sounds like John Motson is pronouncing it. 

1 hour ago, Captain Willard said:
  1. Van Morrison - 1 decent song and a lifetime of being a surly cunt. 

I saw him years ago in Manchester, on a double bill with Ray Charles. Jesus, he was shite. Every song was the same boring, noodling nothingness, with an obligatory bass solo, then a Georgie Fame organ solo, then a guitar solo, then a bit of a drum solo. The same fucking formula, repeated again and again and again.

Worst of all, I had to leave before Ray Charles (who was brilliant) finished, because that flaccid old snooze-button had wasted so much time.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

The Clash were brilliant. Head of the queue in the anti racist movement too while promoting reggae into mainstream pop/rock/punk culture. They were more than a band.

They didn't appear at the first Rock Against Racism gig so to say they were 'ahead of the queue' is incorrect.

Also, the likes of Bob Marley had been charting regularly in the UK before they appeared so Reggae was doing ok on its own.

Personally I'm more interested in their music than their politics and that was fucking turgid.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

The Clash were brilliant. Head of the queue in the anti racist movement too while promoting reggae into mainstream pop/rock/punk culture. They were more than a band.

Be that as it may. They could have been in charge of securing liaisons with Kylie for yours truly, but their music is still boring. 

3 minutes ago, Mook said:

They didn't appear at the first Rock Against Racism gig so to say they were 'ahead of the queue' is incorrect.

Also, the likes of Bob Marley had been charting regularly in the UK before they appeared so Reggae was doing ok on its own.

Personally I'm more interested in their music than their politics and that was fucking turgid.

Obviously Bob Marley was playing reggae first,but my point was that integrating reggae into a culture that had attracted a strong racist element,mainly through skinheads,gave the movement a major boost and watered down the racist element who followed punk at the time. Just as significantly the Ska boom was running alongside so a popular multicultural anti racist movement had developed at a time when racism existed quite openly.

Just now, VladimirIlyich said:

,but my point was that integrating reggae into a culture that had attracted a strong racist element,mainly through skinheads,gave the movement a major boost and watered down the racist element who followed punk at the time. 

I think the Two Tone bands did most of this. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I reckon it was a combination. The Clash performed in the 1978 version and The Specials,for example didnt hit the charts with Gangsters until a year later in 1979.

I assume you are talking about the Police and Thieves cover here.

In hindsight their first single being White Riot might have muddied the waters but your point is taken.

I do think the integrated Two Tone bands had more to do - Strummer is always a political take.

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

I assume you are talking about the Police and Thieves cover here.

In hindsight their first single being White Riot might have muddied the waters but your point is taken.

I do think the integrated Two Tone bands had more to do - Strummer is always a political take.

I meant the 1978 Rock Against Racism concert,not a particular song. 

The National - These particularly piss me off because I'm always told I'd like them. The singer can't sing. He has this unbelievably irritating monotonous voice in every song. They're like an even more miserable version of Interpol - if that's even possible.

• Upvote 1