You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Top 5 really boring musical acts everyone buzzes off

Chris

4 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

Always got the impression that McCartney cared way less about what people thought about him than the over sensitive Lennon. McCartney always came across as a very confident individual, Lennon less so.    

XoPXrdJ.jpg

Probably after a few sherberts to be fair 

On 14/11/2021 at 08:37, Mook said:

I completely agree with all of that & that's exactly what I meant in my initial post about them.

Take this clip for example, it sounds like a bunch of 15 year olds who can't really play their instruments yet having their second ever rehearsal.

Jesus, that's horrible. It's like Spinal Tap's experimental jazz odyssey.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Total Longo said:

I'm not a big fan of Reg but "Someone Saved My Life Tonight" is lyrically and musically superb. His problem is that, like a lot of musical artists once they hit a certain age, the quality dips alarmingly.  

His stuff from the early to mid-70s was mostly fantastic. A bit like Lennon and McCartney complimenting each other so well, he was never as good once he split with Bernie Taupin. His early-80s revival was OK, but was more glossy 'MTV'-style pop music than the 'richer' stuff he'd done before.  

Looking at that image of Lennon, does anyone remember when Pete Doherty turned up to rehab wearing two hats?

b3fb9d16-4e7c-4159-95aa-1b6836f55567-abb

https://www.gawker.com/culture/remember-when-pete-doherty-went-to-rehab-wearing-two-hats

In the photo, a smoking hot and chain-smoking Doherty wears at least three necklaces, one of which is chainmail-inspired, a sportcoat with an exaggerated winged lapel, and yes, two narrow-brimmed fedoras in slightly discordant shades of brown.

5 hours ago, Boss said:

Looking at that image of Lennon, does anyone remember when Pete Doherty turned up to rehab wearing two hats?

https://www.gawker.com/culture/remember-when-pete-doherty-went-to-rehab-wearing-two-hats

Fucking hell. I'd forgotten that P-Do was ever a thing. People used to get really excited about him, as if there was anything good about him or anything he did. It's like those periodic manias in the Middle Ages when whole towns lost their reason to tainted flour. It's probably best that we all agree never to speak of those times again.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Fucking hell. I'd forgotten that P-Do was ever a thing. People used to get really excited about him, as if there was anything good about him or anything he did. It's like those periodic manias in the Middle Ages when whole towns lost their reason to tainted flour. It's probably best that we all agree never to speak of those times again.

The Libertines. People went fucking mental for them as if they were the future of music or something. Overrated cockney bollocks.

The best thing to come out of Dohertys musical career was the Max Carlish documentary. The finest car crash TV it has ever been my pleasure to witness. Couldn't watch, couldn't look away.

I saw The Libertines live when they first came out and they were extraordinary. There was a cool little scene around The Libertines back then, people would follow them all over the country and they'd give you the lowdown on all the secret gigs via text. Good times. 

When Pete was in Babyshambles he took a heroic dose of ketamine before a gig in the Empress Ballroom in Blackpool and forgot all the words to their songs. The whole band fucked off backstage after a few songs out of sheer frustration. It was like the horse tranquilliser story with Keith Moon. Anyway, some mad bastards drove him to the Zanzibar later that night where he played an acoustic set slipping in and out of a K-hole.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Boss said:

Reminds me of the Phil Collins song "Two hats, but living on just one head"

4 hours ago, Boss said:

I saw The Libertines live when they first came out and they were extraordinary. There was a cool little scene around The Libertines back then, people would follow them all over the country and they'd give you the lowdown on all the secret gigs via text. Good times. 

When Pete was in Babyshambles he took a heroic dose of ketamine before a gig in the Empress Ballroom in Blackpool and forgot all the words to their songs. The whole band fucked off backstage after a few songs out of sheer frustration. It was like the horse tranquilliser story with Keith Moon. Anyway, some mad bastards drove him to the Zanzibar later that night where he played an acoustic set slipping in and out of a K-hole.

For a brief moment the Libertines shined brighter than anyone. 

4 hours ago, Boss said:

That resonates with me. I saw them in Nottingham just as they were getting going and it was one of the best gigs of my life - dirty, sweaty, incredible atmosphere and The Libertines were excellent, great pop tunes and so much energy.

I saw the Babyshambles in Hull and it went almost exactly as you described!

I used to work with a guy who was very much in that scene at the time, he played with The Libertines and Babyshambles at one point whilst in his own band. It was an exciting time. Sure, it was somehow trying to riff on what The Strokes and others were doing at that time in New York but so what?

Clearly their music isn't going to last the ages (although their first album still sounds decent) and Doherty has serious issues but it was a lot of fun whilst it was happening.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Boss said:

When Pete was in Babyshambles he took a heroic dose of ketamine before a gig in the Empress Ballroom in Blackpool and forgot all the words to their songs. The whole band fucked off backstage after a few songs out of sheer frustration. 

Maybe I'm old and curmudgeonly, but I just see some cunt who can't be bothered to do his job properly. I wouldn't pay for that.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Boss said:

Great when the Libertines first hit the big time, now he's just a boring dribbling cunt.  

50 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Maybe I'm old and curmudgeonly, but I just see some cunt who can't be bothered to do his job properly. I wouldn't pay for that.

I wouldn't mind, he doesn't even credit the other cunts that did the same over the decades where he obviously pinched the idea from - whether performing or unable to perform, he's still a shite tribute act.

2 minutes ago, stringvest said:

Great when the Libertines first hit the big time, now he's just a boring dribbling cunt.  

He was a dribbling cunt then to be fair. 

He was meant to support Oasis at the Rose Bowl in Southampton with Babyshambles, the fucker didn't show up (which I didn't mind because The Coral were also supporting and just played a longer set) two days later he was in the paper having been found smacked out of his nut in a Paris hotel room. 

Him and Carl Barat wrote some superb music together, unfortunately their relationship was toxic (heroin, booze, fights etc) a bit like that ex you could never have stayed with but you'll always miss the sex.