You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Top 5 really boring musical acts everyone buzzes off

Chris

29 minutes ago, Ken Robber said:

Seen them twice now. Guy's a great front man, comes off very friendly and humble 

Still waiting to hear this live though, it's definitely what made me a fan

I absolutely love the line ‘..and talk of people ten years gone like I’ve known them my whole life’ truly beautiful insight in to the minutiae of small town family life.

2 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I absolutely love the line ‘..and talk of people ten years gone like I’ve known them my whole life’ truly beautiful insight in to the minutiae of small town family life.

I think he’s a brilliant story teller.

Great Expectations was one of ‘our songs’ at our wedding. He just paints vivid and powerful images of good with his words. Very underrated lyricist for me. 

I think Elbow get unfair criticism. The music suits Garvey’s words and style of storytelling perfectly. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

This is another one of their best and overlooked songs.  

Will shut up about Elbow now before Stig has an aneurysm 

Just now, Skidfingers McGonical said:

I think he’s a brilliant story teller.

Great Expectations was one of ‘our songs’ at our wedding. He just paints vivid and powerful images of good with his words. Very underrated lyricist for me. 

I think Elbow get unfair criticism. The music suits Garvey’s words and style of storytelling perfectly. 

Yeah, as I said above there’s a generic ‘Elbow’ song which makes up about 1/2 tracks on an album.

The lyrics are just astoundingly precise and a world we all know, a touch like Waits had a way of looking at life and people..,

They're pacing Piccadilly in packs again
And moaning for the mercy of a never come rain
The sun's had enough and the simmering sky
Has the heave and the hue of a woman on fire
Shop shutters rattle down and I'm cutting the crowd
All scented and descending from the satellite towns
The neon is graffiti singing make a new start
So I look for a plot where I can bury my broken heart

No I know I wont forget you but I'll forget myself if the city will forgive me

The man on the door has a head like Mars
Like a baby born to the doors of the bars
And surrounded by steam with his folded arms
He's got that urban genie thing going on
He's so mercifully free of the pressures of grace
Saint Peter in satin he's like Buddha with mace

No I know I wont forget you but I'll forget myself if the city will forgive me

Do you move through the room with a glass in your hand?
Thinking too hard about the way you stand
Are you watching them pair off and drinking them long?

Are you falling in love every second song?

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Ah, but did you drunkenly post lyrics like a besotted fangirl while calling them a 'truly beautiful insight in to the minutiae of small town family life.', no?

You simply must try harder then!

That’s a fair cop 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Remmie said:

One of my favourite bands so will have to disagree on that one

I know mate, i only said it to provoke a reaction from you, mainly because of the George Michael "diss"

Although i am not a fan of The Stereophonics, there are far more worse acts than them.

Having just heard the first minute of the new Adele song, i can confirm that she is definitely among them. An overtly heartfelt piano ballad?? I wasn't expecting that at all...   

• 3 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

Probably going to piss a few people off, but Nick Cave has just been on Jools Holland and my god, what a load of tedious self-indulgent drivel. The kind of act that you get told by hipsters that you can't be into music if you don't like.

Cave is easily the greatest living artist imo. There is nobody even close, the quality of his work is ridiculous, he’s operating on a completely different level. The recent Ghosteen and Carnage albums are just sublime.

6 hours ago, Rushies tash said:

Probably going to piss a few people off, but Nick Cave has just been on Jools Holland and my god, what a load of tedious self-indulgent drivel. The kind of act that you get told by hipsters that you can't be into music if you don't like.

I've never seen the attraction either mate, to be honest. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Rushies tash said:

Nah I understand why people wouldn't like him, and this is coming from a fan. 

I think It's all down to whether you can get behind the over the top and macabre song writing style. There's a lot to discover and enjoy if you can get past it, otherwise it's bollocks

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

I love Nick Cave, but the last couple of albums, whilst having some beautiful high points, are a bit boring. 

Couldn't get into Ghosteen at all, it may as well as be a late Lou Reed album but with more synths and better vocals. 

Skeleton Tree was terrific though

On 15/10/2021 at 20:45, Red74 said:

The official names Wellends

1688E043-8FA2-4741-854D-A7C872C6E523.jpeg

Not many days go by without me thinking about how brilliant this collage is. Without doubt my favourites are the guy on the top right who is the finest example of a haircut not suiting someone's face that i have ever seen, and the guy on the bottom right who not only appears to be worshipping a shoe on a plinth (i flatly refuse to believe he is holding a shoebox) but he also genuinely thinks he looks ace. Fair play to him for that. The guy next to him clearly knows he looks ridiculous, but is running with it as it's way too late to change now. Pretty much the same with all of the others too. Not bottom right shoe plinth guy though. Oh no.

• Upvote 2