You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The GF's Favourite Ever Song - Round 1 - Group Z

Bjornebye

The GF's Favourite Ever Song - Round 1 - Group Z  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Pick Your Favourite

• The Stranglers - Golden Brown
    • The Smiths - How Soon Is Now
    • Tina Turner - River Deep, Mountain High
    • Bob Dylan - Subterranean Homesick Blues
    • Pet Shop Boys - Rent

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/10/21 at 18:59

5 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

Apparently Morrisey would get the music from Jonny marr on a cassette tape, write the lyrics at home and turn up at the studios to sing so nobody knew what the song would be about until he started singing. When he sang the opening line to how soon is now, “I am the son and the heir” the producer complained to Jonny marr that the song was going to be about the weather “the sun and the air”. Probably apocryphal but a nice joke all the same. It is of course a quote from (I think) a George Elliot novel. 

I read this a while ago on here and it explained why I often liked the music on Smith's records but thought the lyrics side was a steaming pile of self philosophical crap.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

Neither am i mate, it's up there with "a year has passed since i broke my nose..." in Message in a Bottle for lyrics i now refuse to change, despite knowing they are wrong. 

When my lad was a lot younger he loved the WWE wrestling. There was a wrestler called Chris Jericho whose signature move was the walls of Jericho. It was that exact moment I realised that the lyrics to the style council classic - walls come tumbling down didn’t in fact say “just like Cherry Coke, walls come tumbling down”. 

Even now I know it’s Jericho, I still

sing cherry coke cos no one tells me what to do. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Red74 said:

When my lad was a lot younger he loved the WWE wrestling. There was a wrestler called Chris Jericho whose signature move was the walls of Jericho. It was that exact moment I realised that the lyrics to the style council classic - walls come tumbling down didn’t in fact say “just like Cherry Coke, walls come tumbling down”. 

Even now I know it’s Jericho, I still

sing cherry coke cos no one tells me what to do. 

Your version is well better anyway.  

58 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I read this a while ago on here and it explained why I often liked the music on Smith's records but thought the lyrics side was a steaming pile of self philosophical crap.

There is no Smiths without the "self philosophical" (whatever that is) crap.

Morrissey was often considered one of the fines lyricists in the history of British pop music.

5 minutes ago, SasaS said:

There is no Smiths without the "self philosophical" (whatever that is) crap.

Morrissey was often considered one of the fines lyricists in the history of British pop music.

A crack on the head
Is what you get for not asking
And a crack on the head
Is what you get for asking

No, a crack on the head
And a crack on the head

A crack on the head
Is just what you get
Why, because of who you are
And a crack on the head
Is just what you get
Why, because of what you are
A crack on the head
Because of
The things you said
That you said
The things you did

The Pet Shop Boys song Miserablism was written to take the piss out of Morrissey and his tedious emo attitude to life. Ditto Getting Away With It by Electronic, which was co-written with Johnny Marr (and Bernard Sumner).

Obviously those two tracks are better than anything The Smiths ever did.

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

A crack on the head
And a crack on the head

No, a crack on the head
And a crack on the head

A crack on the head
Is just what you get
And a crack on the head
Is just what you get
A crack on the head
Because of
The things you said
That you said
The things you did

OK, I've come up with the phrase "panic on the streets", how can I stretch it out to a whole fucking song?

Screenshot_2021-10-14-12-27-07-13_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

5 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

The Pet Shop Boys song Miserablism was written to take the piss out of Morrissey and his tedious emo attitude to life. Ditto Getting Away With It by Electronic, which was co-written with Johnny Marr (and Bernard Sumner).

See also "Moody Chops" by Half Man Half Biscuit.

51 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Yes. I'm sure any Pet Shop Boys track is better than anything The Smiths ever did. And Bernard Sumner is the right man to take the piss of another lyricist.

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

A crack on the head
And a crack on the head

No, a crack on the head
And a crack on the head

A crack on the head
Is just what you get
And a crack on the head
Is just what you get
A crack on the head
Because of
The things you said
That you said
The things you did

Ironically "Barbarism..." is my favourite Smiths tune, couldn't care less about the lyrics, as banal as they are. Always been a music first, lyrics second, kind of fella.

I was walking the dogs yesterday and The Queen is Dead (track) came on and i'd forgotten how Morrissey got away scot-free with rhyming "spanner" with "piano"

5 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

By Morrissey himself I expect.

No, he thought he was the finest.

5 hours ago, Mook said:

I always assumed Morrissey's lyrics were generally tongue in cheek. I find them mildly amusing rather than depressing.

Many are, some are are not very good, some are overrated some would probably still be up there with anything else. I remember he was also a great interview back in the day. Definitely a very interesting man.

• Upvote 1