You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool All Time 11 - Centre Backs

Curly

Liverpool All Time 11 - Centre Backs  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pairing - pick 2 from the list

• Yeats
    • Lawrenson
    • Thompson
    • Carragher
    • Hyypia
    • Smith
    • Van Dijk
    • Hansen
    • Agger
    • Skrtel
    • Hyysen
    • Raisbeck
    • Hughes
    • Henchoz

This poll is closed to new votes

I always used to go for Thomson alongside Hansen because they worked well together, covering each other's weaknesses and I remember Hansen saying that he thought they were the best partnership he played in. But Virgil is the man to do Hansen's heading now.  

7 hours ago, dave u said:

This might be unanimous!

Not far off to be fair!

Ive heard loads of people say to me over the years about how Hansen got the plaudits, but Lawrenson was the better defender, so was expecting him to be the closest and surprised at his lack of score.

16 hours ago, Belarus said:

Not far off to be fair!

Ive heard loads of people say to me over the years about how Hansen got the plaudits, but Lawrenson was the better defender, so was expecting him to be the closest and surprised at his lack of score.

Lawrenson was great, no doubt about it. I always thought he was about as good as Jockey in the air (in that he was ok), but you would always see him doing these (impressive) sliding tackles - "telescopic legs" was the phrase thrown around a lot. Jockey just always seemed to be in the right place at the right time, though; intercepting the pass and nicking it off attackers' toes. Lawrenson was also great at bringing the ball forward and playing a killer pass, but not in the Hansen class in my opinion. Jockey seemed to do it more often as well. Maybe some of the others on here who remember them can say whether mine is an accurate recollection of them. I'm not sure if the "Hansen got the plaudits, but Lawrenson was the better defender" belongs with the "Beatles Myth" hipsters, though.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

Lawrenson was great, no doubt about it. I always thought he was about as good as Jockey in the air (in that he was ok), but you would always see him doing these (impressive) sliding tackles - "telescopic legs" was the phrase thrown around a lot. Jockey just always seemed to be in the right place at the right time, though; intercepting the pass and nicking it off attackers' toes. Lawrenson was also great at bringing the ball forward and playing a killer pass, but not in the Hansen class in my opinion. Jockey seemed to do it more often as well. Maybe some of the others on here who remember them can say whether mine is an accurate recollection of them. I'm not sure if the "Hansen got the plaudits, but Lawrenson was the better defender" belongs with the "Beatles Myth" hipsters, though.

Lawrenson was a fantastic player and was equally adept at every position in the back four and midfield as well,but if I am choosing purely the CB position then I'm going for Hansen and Hyypia. VVD is one for the future of legends teams,he still has more to give now.

4 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

Lawrenson was a fixture in many Liverpool fans’ all-time team, but he has rightly, in my opinion, lost his place to Van Dijk. 

Agree with that. Virgil has pipped him for me. What a player though. I think the fact that he became a bit of a fool on the BBC has made people forget what a phenomenal player he was.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Agree with that. Virgil has pipped him for me. What a player though. I think the fact that he became a bit of a fool on the BBC has made people forget what a phenomenal player he was.

Yep. Only for Virg I he would be my pick alongside Jockey.

Missed the vote it seems

Anyway, for me it’s Hansen and Van Dijk by some

margin. After that probably Lawrenson, which was a fantastic footballer.

Hyypia was great for us, and a key signing to tighten up a defence that had been shit for nearly a decade. And a great character. But for me we got the best out of him by defending deep, which covered his weaknesses. To be honest, in a high line he’d been in trouble. Hansen and Van Dijk, and to some degeee Lawrenson, however I reckon you could put in any sort of system you like and they’d be world class anyway.

Edit: If we’re discussing who is the best CB we’ve had, there is no contest in my book. I’ve adored Hansen as a player for decades, and thought he was one of the finest CBs the world has seen. And definately the best we’ve had at Liverpool. But then Van Dijk arrives and takes it to a different level. For a year or so he was probably the best player, all positions, on the planet. And he could well be again. Unreal.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

I think the fact that he became a bit of a fool on the BBC has made people forget what a phenomenal player he was.

This definitely - same with Macca and now to a degree Carragher. In fact the only ex player who appears regularly in the media and doesn't come across as a gobshite is Barnes.

Every other one from Owen, to Hamann to Murphy as well as those mentioned above are all planks.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Missed the vote it seems

Anyway, for me it’s Hansen and Van Dijk by some

margin. After that probably Lawrenson, which was a fantastic footballer.

Hyypia was great for us, and a key signing to tighten up a defence that had been shit for nearly a decade. And a great character. But for me we got the best out of him by defending deep, which covered his weaknesses. To be honest, in a high line he’d been in trouble. Hansen and Van Dijk, and to some degeee Lawrenson, however I reckon you could put in any sort of system you like and they’d be world class anyway.

Edit: If we’re discussing who is the best CB we’ve had, there is no contest in my book. I’ve adored Hansen as a player for decades, and thought he was one of the finest CBs the world has seen. And definately the best we’ve had at Liverpool. But then Van Dijk arrives and takes it to a different level. For a year or so he was probably the best player, all positions, on the planet. And he could well be again. Unreal.

Don’t miss the midfielders vote mate. It’d be a real shame - been run so smoothly with no errors or nothing.

https://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/index.php?/forums/topic/118392-liverpool-all-time-11-midfielders-rerun-2/&tab=comments#comment-6032845