You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sky Glass

24 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

On the face of it....that's a really interesting way of extracting money from my pocket.  

A QLED tv....in a choice of colours...with Dolby Atmos speakers....and pay it off over 4 years at 0% interest....

I bought a new TV not so long ago otherwise I'd have been tempted by this. Can now just sit back and see how reliable and well made these sets are.

Another concern with Sky Glass is, naturally, how much it costs. Sky is eager to state that it’s offering a whole new way for people to purchase and pay for their TVs - the idea is that you buy your set like you buy your mobile phone, with flexible payments each month - and on first impressions, the subscription package sounds reasonable: you can pick up a 43-inch Sky Glass TV from £13 per month with a £26 per month Sky subscription on top.

However, while that sounds appealing, that gets you the most basic package – you won’t have access to movies or sports, nor will you be able to make use of the TV’s 4K-resolution screen or built-in Dolby Atmos audio, with the latter two combined setting you back an extra £5 per month. Sky Cinema is an additional £11, Sky Sports an extra £26, and if you want to stream Sky to any other rooms in your home, it’ll set you back £50 per box, plus an additional £10 per month. All in, that’s approaching £150 a month, or £1,800 a year – more than the total cost of our current favourite 50in TV.

36 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I read up on it before. There’s no record function but you can go back and stream. 

You don’t need to record because it’s a streaming service. I’d imagine you’ll be able to make it look like you’ve recorded something in the UI but essentially it’ll just like setting a flag to access one of their streams.

23 minutes ago, Brownie said:

You don’t need to record because it’s a streaming service. I’d imagine you’ll be able to make it look like you’ve recorded something in the UI but essentially it’ll just like setting a flag to access one of their streams.

I often record footy games and watch later.  Sky don't allow you to select a footy match to download and watch again, or not that I've noticed.  

21 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

I often record footy games and watch later.  Sky don't allow you to select a footy match to download and watch again, or not that I've noticed.  

No but with the new TV they will let you “record” the match as normal but you won’t be recording it because there’s no drive to record to. You’ll just be putting something in the UI which allows you to access their recording of it.

29 minutes ago, Elite said:

Not worth the money. 

I think it will be an attractive enough option for a lot of "normal" sky customers. For those who are all over the latest tech with TV's, it won't be suitable as it will be a mid range TV (none of the gaming features for instance).

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

I flicked through another couple of threads in that forum- it sounds like complete shit. From what I can gather, you can't 'record' TV as there's no hard drive or cloud storage, so it just gets bookmarked and then played back through whatever app is appropriate.

• Upvote 1