You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

PODCAST: Red or Dead?

tlw content

37 minutes ago, Chris said:

This took me back a bit. I just listened back to the Owen segment and I actually didn't say any of that. Maybe you're thinking of the McManaman bit? 

No problems with anything else you said, you're perfectly entitled to that stance and I know in many ways I'm in the minority in how I feel about Owen.

Bollocks. So because they were your words from your mouth, and you’ve taken the time to go back and re-listen to them to confirm, I’m supposed to just accept that I got It wrong without any proof?!?! Fuck that. 

I stand by what I said, and if anything believe it even more now.

(fair enough, my bad).

• Upvote 1

I don't like this as a binary, I see it more as a continuum. The Diouf-Fowler continuum. Most of these are well above the Konchesky/Ruddock zone, let alone the Mario days. 

Comparators in italics:

RED

Fowler

Alonso

McManaman

Garcia

Owen

Hamann

Suarez

Torres (both about equal)

Heskey

Coutinho

Redknapp

Mascherano

Collymore

Poulsen

Sterling

Diouf

BLUE (in the face)

Even then, Sterling would only be about halfway down the scale. Just under half as I do actively dislike him for the way he left and some of his actions since, but it's fairly mild. Not like I hate the prick.

Feel it's a bit harsh on Heskey to put him behind people who fucked the club around, but both were transcendent talents. Can understand both Owen and Macca leaving and both were such great products of the academy (and still work to support the club) I can't hold the way they left against them (especially considering the squads they left and the squads they left for). Macca ahead of Garcia because he was literally my favourite player as a kid.

Never had a problem with Owen leaving. My problem is him joining our fear fest rivals then his subsequent “woe is me” attitude afterwards. Fuck off, you’ve made millions and millions off this sport, you chose to go to United knowing full well it was a snack in the face of fans and a club who played a part in setting you and your family up for life so forgive me for not having any sympathy. 

I don’t hate him, I just don’t care about him 

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Never had a problem with Owen leaving. My problem is him joining our fear fest rivals then his subsequent “woe is me” attitude afterwards. Fuck off, you’ve made millions and millions off this sport, you chose to go to United knowing full well it was a snack in the face of fans and a club who played a part in setting you and your family up for life so forgive me for not having any sympathy. 

I don’t hate him, I just don’t care about him 

You know what, I take it back. He's dead to me because he joined our fear fest rivals. You never sign for fear fest rivals. The utter bastard.

• Upvote 3

Great pod lads. Couple of takes, Diouf is a stain of a human being, comparing Suarez to him is insulting. Luis could go to some depths on the pitch but as a person he seems to a decent lad. Second point is on Owen,  he seems to be taken at face value on everything he says or has Carragher say on his behalf. The reality is somewhat different.

1) He messed us about over his contract.

2) If he really wanted to come back he could have, he had shown previously (see above) that he was well capable of looking out for himself. 

3) Hull, Everton or Utd, we are taking him at his word for this, like all others in the pod they live or die by their choices so if that was the options open to him fuck him, choose one of the other two.

4) His longing to be welcomed into the "Utd family" after his brief spell ended. I can't remember any specific instances but it felt like the "we" stuff was common place then. It's only after he realised he was never going to be considered a Utd anything that he started the PR drive to get himself back into the Liverpool family.

5) Again short on details but he had some really shitty tory type words for his time at Newcastle.

What from the above list warrants Owen being given the benefit of the doubt? He was goals for hire, nothing more nothing less.

2 hours ago, No2 said:

Great pod lads. Couple of takes, Diouf is a stain of a human being, comparing Suarez to him is insulting. Luis could go to some depths on the pitch but as a person he seems to a decent lad. Second point is on Owen,  he seems to be taken at face value on everything he says or has Carragher say on his behalf. The reality is somewhat different.

1) He messed us about over his contract.

2) If he really wanted to come back he could have, he had shown previously (see above) that he was well capable of looking out for himself. 

3) Hull, Everton or Utd, we are taking him at his word for this, like all others in the pod they live or die by their choices so if that was the options open to him fuck him, choose one of the other two.

4) His longing to be welcomed into the "Utd family" after his brief spell ended. I can't remember any specific instances but it felt like the "we" stuff was common place then. It's only after he realised he was never going to be considered a Utd anything that he started the PR drive to get himself back into the Liverpool family.

5) Again short on details but he had some really shitty tory type words for his time at Newcastle.

What from the above list warrants Owen being given the benefit of the doubt? He was goals for hire, nothing more nothing less.

I think we addressed a lot of your points on Owen, and it kinda comes down to whether you're ok with it or not considering the circumstances. Understand that some aren't. As for Diouf, well spitting and biting aren't exactly a mile away from each other. 

12 minutes ago, Chris said:

I think we addressed a lot of your points on Owen, and it kinda comes down to whether you're ok with it or not considering the circumstances. Understand that some aren't. As for Diouf, well spitting and biting aren't exactly a mile away from each other. 

Diouf was accurately described as the sewer rat by someone. That was for his off the field behaviour. He's a scumbag.

With Suarez it was all about what he done on a football pitch, he has no limits to what he would do to win, he would bring your sick mother or child into it if gave him an advantage. I'm going to guess you're not a fan of shithousery? I love the stuff and he was the king, the amount of times he would accidentally land on a defenders achilles was a sight to behold,  I think he once done Distin and Mirallis in the same game. His back heel injury on Robertson was probably his greatest achievement, it was over looked after the game but that was special, most players would injure themselves attempting to do that. Luis was built to play in a pre-camera era, many won't like that but it's a million miles away from Diouf.

2 hours ago, No2 said:

Diouf was accurately described as the sewer rat by someone. That was for his off the field behaviour. He's a scumbag.

With Suarez it was all about what he done on a football pitch, he has no limits to what he would do to win, he would bring your sick mother or child into it if gave him an advantage. I'm going to guess you're not a fan of shithousery? I love the stuff and he was the king, the amount of times he would accidentally land on a defenders achilles was a sight to behold,  I think he once done Distin and Mirallis in the same game. His back heel injury on Robertson was probably his greatest achievement, it was over looked after the game but that was special, most players would injure themselves attempting to do that. Luis was built to play in a pre-camera era, many won't like that but it's a million miles away from Diouf.

Yeah, I'm not really a shithousery mark to be honest. I don't look at the likes of Ramos or Pepe or Diego Costa and think 'aren't he and his shithouse ways hilarious'. Not really of the school of "he would bring your sick mother or child into it if gave him an advantage" being a positive trait in a footballer or a human being and struggle to separate the two on/off the field. Some of the greatest players of all time, their will to win hasn't made them horrible bastards like Suarez in the process. 

EDIT: The Diouf "sewer rat" comment was made by Neil Warnock for his on-field behaviour. 

https://talksport.com/football/5884/warnock-el-hadji-diouf-sewer-rat/

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, dave u said:

You know what, I take it back. He's dead to me because he joined our fear fest rivals. You never sign for fear fest rivals. The utter bastard.

Glass houses here Usher. For all his many faults, none of us have to pay for the privilege of Stig’s typos! 

Just the second sentence this week!

C67F0BB0-9C87-4963-924D-A60F721698D0.jpeg

Re Suarez's shithousery, loved it, only because he played for us (and was a fucking outstanding player) - playing for someone else then I would hate the cunt with a passion.  The time when he pulled a united player's hair (I think it was Raphael) in the 3-0 at Anfield - I fucking loved it.  I'm pretty sure that incident had a bearing on what happened the following year too.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Remmie said:

I love that you finally came round with Trailer Park Boys. I never did watch Juno

It was you that convinced me to give it a try! Juno never really was the instant classic I had it down as. Good movie with a great soundtrack though. Good ol' Ellen/Elliott Page.

54 minutes ago, Chris said:

It was you that convinced me to give it a try! Juno never really was the instant classic I had it down as. Good movie with a great soundtrack though. Good ol' Ellen/Elliott Page.

Have you watched the drunk and on drugs funtime variety show and their tours of Europe and the States? 

I find it easier to read than to listen Dave. Scouse accent maybe ?

So it’s great when people are commenting on here. Great post Johnny by the way. 

I don’t know about Owen really. He scored a lot, he did 2001 of course,  but still he acted like a prick, didn’t He ? Shouting Juda in that game vs United with the N’Gog goal was great, wasn’t it ?

• dave u unpinned this topic