You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

2 monitor setup

Ok, working from home with a company laptop is a ballache. I have two monitors that I can connect via a docking hub/thingy. This also connects the company laptop and for ease of use is better for when I do work at home.

Both monitors are old but good and use dvi-d inputs.

I need a twin cable dvi-d to single USB or hdmi (HDMI is more preferable).

I can't seem to find or search properly on ebay for the right cable with my terminology.

Please help a fellow nerd.

Can you grab the make/model of both the laptop and the dock and I will take a look for you? (Unless you can provide a list of all the outputs for both?)

Ideally, you'll want 2 outputs from the laptop/dock (1 for each monitor) - usually, HDMI or Display Port are best, though USB-C is just fine too. I'd be surprised if the laptop had DVI-D out, though the dock might.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dynamite said:

Can you grab the make/model of both the laptop and the dock and I will take a look for you? (Unless you can provide a list of all the outputs for both?)

Ideally, you'll want 2 outputs from the laptop/dock (1 for each monitor) - usually, HDMI or Display Port are best, though USB-C is just fine too. I'd be surprised if the laptop had DVI-D out, though the dock might.

I will look later Al! We have in the office a 2 monitor and laptop setup, all connected to a docking station/hub. The 2 big monitors run off a cable that splits into 2 inputs for the monitors but has just 1 cable going to the Dock.  If that makes any sense? What I'm after is a twin dvi-d for the monitors that only has 1 hdmi or usb at the other end for the docking station, so essentially both monitors are connected to the Dock via 1 input. My apologies if that's not clear.

7 minutes ago, Clem H Fandango said:

I will look later Al! We have in the office a 2 monitor and laptop setup, all connected to a docking station/hub. The 2 big monitors run off a cable that splits into 2 inputs for the monitors but has just 1 cable going to the Dock.  If that makes any sense? What I'm after is a twin dvi-d for the monitors that only has 1 hdmi or usb at the other end for the docking station, so essentially both monitors are connected to the Dock via 1 input. My apologies if that's not clear.

All good. Just a little unusual running 1 output split into 2 inputs. I can certainly take a look around for a cable fitting your description, but I'm guessing that these cables would have been ordered by your company via a select supplier, so may not be commonly available.

When do you need the cables by? Would it be possible to get the work to supply the cable to you, or could you liberate a cable from someone else's setup in the office? (If they are asking you to WFH, they really should be supplying you with everything you need to do your job as you would in the office).

7 minutes ago, Dynamite said:

All good. Just a little unusual running 1 output split into 2 inputs. I can certainly take a look around for a cable fitting your description, but I'm guessing that these cables would have been ordered by your company via a select supplier, so may not be commonly available.

When do you need the cables by? Would it be possible to get the work to supply the cable to you, or could you liberate a cable from someone else's setup in the office? (If they are asking you to WFH, they really should be supplying you with everything you need to do your job as you would in the office).

It's a tough one. The monitors at work are iyama, connected to a dell dock which the homeworking dell laptop connects to. Its all dell, whereas my home dock only has hdmi,usb (at least 4 ports) or dvi 15 pin female connection.

I could ask work, but it's a new job/office and they are struggling to get it equipment because of the microchip shortage at the moment. 

Where are you working now? I miss the Zurich days.

Do you run extended display in the office across the 2 monitors, or are they simply duplicated?

It might be easier (and better) to run 2 outputs from the dock/laptop and run the monitors on independent cables. Much will depend on the laptop's connections/graphics card, etc...

I get that. Do you need the cables for a specific date, or just asap/when you can?

I miss the Zurich days too. Could run that batch in my sleep...

I was made redundant by Santander at the end of February this year. Started at Wipro on the John Lewis account at the start of August.

Took the best part of 4 months to actually get the start after I was approached by an agency for the job in March. The agency screwed me over, so I had to apply independently but only after Wipro went through a process with said agency to remove representation. Complete ballache.

2 hours ago, Dynamite said:

Do you run extended display in the office across the 2 monitors, or are they simply duplicated?

It might be easier (and better) to run 2 outputs from the dock/laptop and run the monitors on independent cables. Much will depend on the laptop's connections/graphics card, etc...

We have extended display in the office, just need to replicate it at home to be able to work efficiently.