You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

All time Liverpool 11

Curly

All time greatest Liverpool XI - Goalkeepers  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Pick the best red GK

• Clemence
    • Grobbelaar
    • Reina
    • Alisson
    • Scott
    • Dudek
    • Lawrence

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/10/21 at 11:39

55 minutes ago, Code said:

I have seen him play plenty of times.

In your other post you said, 

With today's training and analysis, just imagine how even greater Clemence would have been.

My point is that we cant imagine these things, we have to look at how the players performed without having to imagine how they could perform if they played and grew up 40 years later. 

Football has developed, players are fitter than ever before, they train better than ever before, they have more information than ever before etc, etc. 

Its basically pointless.

Its a bit like saying a Commodore 64 is the best computer ever. 

Out of interest, in person, or in highlights?

Then what are you doing engaging in this thread?

Given your logic, 'the best of all time' would only amount to What is the best team of the last 10-15 years (not that that wouldn't also be an interesting thread in itself). The original post was 'All time Liverpool XI' and could also include Ronnie Moran at LB as a candidate, Billy Liddell as a winger, albert Stubbins as a forward; but as none of us can remember them (well, ok, Stringy), so they haven't been mentioned. The tread encourages us to compare apples and oranges.

Obviously players now have access to better diet, training, conditioning, analysis tools, footwear, and kits - not to mention footballs:

History of football: And the Rules of the Game ~ History In The  WorldHistories in The World's 

vs

White/Red/Blk - Nike - Strike Premier League Football

Which one would you like to attempt to try to bend a freekick with?

Or try to keep goal in the rain wearing this ensemble

How the freeze of 1947 gave Liverpool FC a warm glow | Official blog of the  Met Office news team

Or this?

Liverpool have a new most important player, as Alisson Becker's true  influence explained - Liverpool.com

I take your point that you can look at how players performed back in their day without being able to imagine how they would perform if they grew up later, fair enough. My point was that technically, I think Clemence was a better keeper than Allison, even without today's access to sports science. I only mentioned how much better he would have been as an aside - not to justify my belief.

If you choose to impose your metrics on this thread (which I belive was originated in the hope people would enjoy it), then that is your choice.

Personally, I'm going to enjoy the tread that belarus started and not get bogged down in semantics.

• Upvote 3

Ray Clemence was 6 ft tall - there is no way he covered as much of the goal as Alisson on any given chance.

The flip side is - Alisson could never have played in England in the 70's.

I look at players from different eras compared to their peers - a little before my time but not sure Clemence was ever considered the best in the world - he was the goalkeeper for the best team in the world for sure.