You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Resilience (The ability to bounce back)

YorkshireRed

Been thinking about posting in this thread but always feel like a wanker for saying this. However, everyone knows I’m a wanker anyway, so why not…

44 years ago my folks were told I likely wouldn’t even make 10 years of age. 11 years ago I was told I had around 2 years left. 4 years ago I was literally 15 minutes with the surgeon already in theatre from being cut right down the middle, intestines out and a stoma bag. 3 years ago I was told I was imminently going to need to go on the double lung transplant list.

Now, thanks to a medical breakthrough, I’m deadlifting to Eye Of The Tiger in a commercial strength and conditioning gym and recently fucked a 26 year old who looks like Naomi Campbell. Never had such consistent health and energy in my whole life and am being able to think freely about building a future for the first time. Genuinely feel like Red when he gets paroled in Shawshank. It has been one fucking long uphill slog, 44 years it took me to get here, but if you can just hang on and stay in the game long enough, you never know how things can turn for you. 

Keep on keeping on. Never give in. Set up a Tinder account with a fake age.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 17

Posted about this before in the depression thread, but I can't recommend getting into lifting weights enough. 

In short, the affect it has is by keeping the goal orientated part of your brain active. Even if you're having a shit time and feel like you're going nowhere, you'll still have that consistent feeling of accomplishment regardless. As long as you have a why you'll manage any how 

17 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

Been thinking about posting in this thread but always feel like a wanker for saying this. However, everyone knows I’m a wanker anyway, so why not…

44 years ago my folks were told I likely wouldn’t even make 10 years of age. 11 years ago I was told I had around 2 years left. 4 years ago I was literally 15 minutes with the surgeon already in theatre from being cut right down the middle, intestines out and a stoma bag. 3 years ago I was told I was imminently going to need to go on the double lung transplant list.

Now, thanks to a medical breakthrough, I’m deadlifting to Eye Of The Tiger in a commercial strength and conditioning gym and recently fucked a 26 year old who looks like Naomi Campbell. Never had such consistent health and energy in my whole life and am being able to think freely about building a future for the first time. Genuinely feel like Red when he gets paroled in Shawshank. It has been one fucking long uphill slog, 44 years it took me to get here, but if you can just hang on and stay in the game long enough, you never know how things can turn for you. 

Would rep this if I could, but I'm a meff 

Amazing turn of events that mate. Really happy for you

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

Great stuff.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Dr Nowt said:

After all the shit you've had to contend with healthwise, I'm genuinely made up for you mate, proper uplifting stuff.

Fucking a 26 year old Naomi Campbell lookalike?

You lucky, lucky bastard!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Dr Nowt said:

I'd rep the shit out of this but I've wasted all my negs on SD. Made up for you lad, I'll never forget that moment on the tube at 9am in London when you told me you shouldn't even be alive. I had no idea and just assumed you were a run of the mill cunt like the rest of us. Instead I was in the presence of a super-human bastard who makes me question my inadequacies constantly. Saw that pic on faceaids of you and the dog at the beach earlier, brought a smile to my face. Made up for you lad x 

You cunt etc 

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I'd rep the shit out of this but I've wasted all my negs on SD. Made up for you lad, I'll never forget that moment on the tube at 9am in London when you told me you shouldn't even be alive. I had no idea and just assumed you were a run of the mill cunt like the rest of us. Instead I was in the presence of a super-human bastard who makes me question my inadequacies constantly. Saw that pic on faceaids of you and the dog at the beach earlier, brought a smile to my face. Made up for you lad x 

You cunt etc 

Cheers man. Woke up fully-clothed the morning after that on @rubble-rouser’s sofa under a small LFC hand-towel, having projectiled my entire stomach lining into his toilet in the early hours, with his young daughters asking if I’m the Easter bunny. The train journey home was significantly less buoyant.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Dr Nowt said:

Inspirational stuff mate. A few months of turmoil is hard enough, never mind 44 years.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

Cheers man. Woke up fully-clothed the morning after that on @rubble-rouser’s sofa under a small LFC hand-towel, having projectiled my entire stomach lining into his toilet in the early hours, with his young daughters asking if I’m the Easter bunny. The train journey home was significantly less buoyant.

Yeah I left you both in some moody pub near waterloo. Glad I bailed when I did 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Elite said:

Inspirational stuff mate. A few months of turmoil is hard enough, never mind 44 years.

Cheers mate. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve had plenty of good periods of health and times during all that, I’ve cracked on with it. Just that the threat was always there and the dips were severe, relentless and draining. Particularly as it sinks its teeth in more the older you get. This here now is like when we get one of those rare summers of weeks long sun, so you can let’s say plan on a Tuesday to have a barbecue that Saturday, rather than the standard year’s looking out the curtains pensively an hour before. Consistent and without taking it for granted, able to make some longer-term plans and feel peaceful about life. Long may it continue.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

Cheers mate. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve had plenty of good periods of health and times during all that, I’ve cracked on with it. Just that the threat was always there and the dips were severe, relentless and draining. Particularly as it sinks its teeth in more the older you get. This here now is like when we get one of those rare summers of weeks long sun, so you can let’s say plan on a Tuesday to have a barbecue that Saturday, rather than the standard year’s looking out the curtains pensively an hour before. Consistent and without taking it for granted, able to make some longer-term plans and feel peaceful about life. Long may it continue.

Sounds like one hell of a drug mate.

Got any spare?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Dr Nowt said:

Tremendous. Nothing is more important in life than your health. Whilst saying that: pics or gtfo.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Elite said:

Sounds like one hell of a drug mate.

Got any spare?

Ha. It’s exciting times in medicine mate. Working on the underlying cause of a genetic disease rather than reactively dealing with symptoms. Obviously I had a special interest in this one and took part in drug trials etc in the earlier stages of these type of modulators being developed, so I know a little more about it, but hopefully it won’t be the last chronic illness to be improved in the coming years.

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

Ha. It’s exciting times in medicine mate. Working on the underlying cause of a genetic disease rather than reactively dealing with symptoms. Obviously I had a special interest in this one and took part in drug trials etc in the earlier stages of these type of modulators being developed, so I know a little more about it, but hopefully it won’t be the last chronic illness to be improved in the coming years.

It's great to see medicine is moving past the archaic model of symptom management drugs. I know myself how it feels to go through years and years of being let down by the system. I'm just so happy that you've found something that can give you your life back. It's a horrendous feeling knowing you might not live one year to the next; not being able to plan anything long term because of your health. But it does give you a really stark reminder of how precious life really is. Now you've got a new lease of life, you can tap into that realisation to make sure you live it to the fullest. Carpe diem my friend.

Couldn't happen to a nicer fella. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Dr Nowt said:

Well this is fantastically uplifting.

Kind of pisses on me coming in here to post that I came third in my latest pub quiz, but whatever.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Well this is fantastically uplifting.

Kind of pisses on me coming in here to post that I came third in my latest pub quiz, but whatever.

Never give up mate. With a fair wind* you might come second one day.

* Googling the answers from the bog.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Dr Nowt said:

Needless to say you had the last laugh.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dr Nowt said:

Knock it off with the fancy words mate.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Knock it off with the fancy words mate.

Fair enough mate.

1 hour ago, Dr Nowt said:

Ha. It’s exciting times in medicine mate. Working on the underlying cause of a genetic disease rather than reactively dealing with symptoms. Obviously I had a special interest in this one and took part in drug trials etc in the earlier stages of these type of modulators being developed, so I know a little more about it, but hopefully it won’t be the last chronic illness to be made more better in the coming years.

Fixed.

• Upvote 1

I don't post an awful lot, and haven't done for a long time but I did make a few posts about how bad the start of my year was. I had really bad covid which affected me physically and mentally, was at a point where I couldn't see my bird or anything because I thought I would be horrible to her, didn't see my son either. Lost all my confidence, some days couldn't tell if I was awake or in a dream because of the Insomina, anxiety off the scale, just utterly horrendous, aside from when me ma died the worst time in my life.

My work was really supportive but I thought I was done , didn't think I'd ever get to a point where I could work again, two months on with the help of medication I eventually went back to a phased return, and a month after that despite still not really having any confidence back I applied for a lead managers position and got it, I'm now blagging that role every single day, you really don't ever know what's around the corner.

• Upvote 14

6 hours ago, Dr Nowt said:

Amazing news Ben. Great to hear 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

Never give up mate. With a fair wind* you might come second one day.

* Googling the answers from the bog.

I've come first many times.

And I've also won the pub quiz *fnarrf*