You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

PODCAST: Liverpool 2 Man City 2 - Match Reaction

tlw content

Honours even after a pulsating second half at Anfield. The incredible Mo Salah scored one of the best goals seen in L4 and also had a sensational assist to go with it, but twice City came roaring back and both sides could have nicked it at the end.

TLW Editor Dave Usher is joined by Paul Natton and Stu Montagu to dissect a dramatic afternoon full of incidents and controversy. What went wrong in the first half? Was this the best City have ever played against us? Does it change your view of the title race? Is Mo currently the best in the world? Should Milner have been sent off? Exactly how much of a tit is Pep Guardiola? 

Tune in for all this and more.

View full article

• Upvote 5

I thought city were on top for the 2nd half of the first half but I dont subscribe to the view they had chance after chance in the first half. I can only remember Alli making 1 save from Foden in that half. He palmed away a cross come shot as well.

Overall, I thought we played too slow in the first half and when the ball went forward it didnt stick. I agree about Sadio, I said to hook him and or Jota at half time. Then Sadio scores that goal. Even then, he didnt do much after that.

Second half we were much better but we missed opportunities to cut out the danger leading up to both their goals.

All the talk about Milner, sorry I think if Gomez had played RB for the whole game or even the whole second half, he would have had just the same torrid time if not worse.

The lads talked about city playing through us, I keep saying this, we dont win enough 50 \ 50 tackles. It's not because city are better players that they skipped away from our tackles with the ball. No one in this team seems to know how to block tackle.

Give Mo what he wants! In my humble opinion, very few players are worth £350k or more a week, certainly not the likes of Sancho, Haaland and others. Mo certainly is. We dont have another player in our squad, not Virgil, not Alli or Trent, who are worth £350k+ a week.

• Upvote 4

• dave u pinned this topic

Good stuff lads, good listen as always. I'm like Dave in that my confidence took a whack yesterday, based on the atmosphere in the ground there is 40,000 others in the same boat. Klopp has a job on his hands to not let that thought process sneak into the dressing room, they were scarily better than us for the majority of that game. In saying that we had 5 big chances and they had 6 or maybe 7. When they were at their very best they barely gave up a corner, never mind an actual chance so maybe it was our shitness as opposed to their brilliance. 

The last 5 league winners have all gone on long runs from around about now, I still think we can win it but not in a 2019 type slog out, its got be like 2020.

That first half was as much to do with our lethargy as their excellence. Maybe the first 15 minutes lulled us to sleep but we just didn't step up the effort levels to match theirs. A kick up the arse at HT and we were a match for them even with a few players still well below par, 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Think everyone knows deep down you just can't challenge for trophies when there's been no investment for three years

Sure thing, sweetie.

Hope you can get past this trauma soon.

5 hours ago, Daisy said:

The Anfield atmosphere is the big elephant in the room this year. The Chelsea game was awful as well, could only hear Chelsea fans in the ground. 

Not sure what's caused it but it's not the same as it was before covid. 

Might be because some of our supporters are so occupied with having new shiny toys that they are not putting their efforts fully into supporting the world class team and squad we already have?

• Upvote 1

I'll add a point... When people criticise Pep for not prioritising a striker, do they automativally think that that striker will do the sane off the ball movement, pressing etc that Pep's extra midfielder does? If so, that's a pretty thin list of strikers with the movement, work rate and tactical knowledge to make his system work... 

It was the same choice Spain had and made between 2008 and 2012 when everyone, especially in the media complained about them playing without a recognised striker. Thing is, both Pep's sides and that Spain side often gave up that deep threat/clinical finishing (say of an Aguero or Torres) in games they wanted to control. It might result in fewer clear cut chances off the bat, but you wear the other side down over time, as they spend so much energy chasing the ball while being outnumbered in midfield.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, lebron said:

I'll add a point... When people criticise Pep for not prioritising a striker, do they automativally think that that striker will do the sane off the ball movement, pressing etc that Pep's extra midfielder does? If so, that's a pretty thin list of strikers with the movement, work rate and tactical knowledge to make his system work... 

It was the same choice Spain had and made between 2008 and 2012 when everyone, especially in the media complained about them playing without a recognised striker. Thing is, both Pep's sides and that Spain side often gave up that deep threat/clinical finishing (say of an Aguero or Torres) in games they wanted to control. It might result in fewer clear cut chances off the bat, but you wear the other side down over time, as they spend so much energy chasing the ball while being outnumbered in midfield.

Think that would be a fair point if he hadn’t already identified who he wants up front and basically told everyone as much. 

27 minutes ago, Paul said:

Think that would be a fair point if he hadn’t already identified who he wants up front and basically told everyone as much. 

I'll clarify, was in a bit of a rush earlier... He obviously wanted both, as having someone like Kane would have been ideal when playing the dross of the competition. I very much doubt he would have wanted Kane over Grealish if given the choice, and when playing us, PSG or Chelsea away he would almost certainly play with the same 11 he did yesterday. 

I'll also add that my take on this had a lot less to do with you guys and much more to do with Neville bleating on about his mate Kane in the commentary. Just surprised as much is being said about it after witnessing the domination of us yesterday. It's the same stuff when everyone expects Bobby (or Jota now) to score lots of goals for us in that specific role in our team, fantasising about how many Haaland would score for us. What Jota adds to our team in terms of goals now means we're much weaker in the press (as evidenced yesterday) than we've been in the past. Didn't help that Henderson had a complete shocker of a performance in midfield like, with Fabinho and Curtis being only marginally better.

I watched the game back earlier and we were a lot better than then 2nd half. They got the 2 goals but besides that they didn't do much else. We penned them in for large parts and created a few chances without opening them up regularly. They dominated possession in the 1st half and had a few chances - the very good save from Foden, the one where Allison came off his line to smother Foden and the de Bruyne header but they weren't battering the goal. 

You could see in that 1st half how they have dropped points v Spurs and Southampton. They press superbly and have quality everywhere  but do lack a cutting edge and it will catch them in some games. 

The cunts

Thet're overloading their midfield at the expense of their strike force. Loads of possession and control and defensively a very solid set-up but they run the risk of dropping points if they're not clinical because so far they're not creating the hatful of chances they used to on a regular basis. 

It's going to work really well against the best teams though. They smothered Chelsea and did the same to us for 45 minutes.

And yet, they lost at Spurs (who had no desire to attack them other than on the break) and drew with Southampton (same).

The lack of an Aguero will cost them in some games but the days of us smashing them everywhere with counter attacks (at Anfield at least) are over I think. These games are going to be far more cagey now Guardiola has learned his lesson.

• dave u unpinned this topic