You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Van Dijk: There is still a lot more to come from me

TLW

If the last year and a half has taught the global population anything, it is how nothing can be taken for granted anymore.

The feeling of meeting with family and friends, having a beer down the pub or going to a Football match and singing at the top of your lungs just came instinctively to many of us.

And then in a blink of a eye it was gone and when it would return was a considerable unknown.

Virgil Van Dijk went through his own trauma last season dealing with a season ending knee injury.

While he had a timeline to full fitness, the things that came naturally to him were also instantly stripped away and speaking to the Official Site, Van Dijk explained how difficult it was to not be part of the match day squad, and how lucky he is to do something he truly loves.

“I missed just being out there, feeling the buzz on a matchday, travel to games, getting [stick] from fans of opponents that we face. Just feeling that you're playing for something again, it's just a nice feeling. Obviously you work towards something during the week [so] that you can perform and hopefully get a good result.”

“I feel very privileged and blessed to be playing on the highest level and [in], I think, the best league in the world, especially with everything that happened over the summer, with signings that certain teams made. Everyone wants to come to the Premier League, I think. So to be playing here is a blessing and I enjoy every second of it.

The talismanic Dutchman has made a very solid return to heart of the Reds defence, playing every league fixture to date. While Van Dijk says he feels good physically, he admits there is a bit of improvement to come.

vandijk8_600.jpg

“I think there's still loads to come (from me). Anyone who knows about having a knee injury and being out for such a long time knows that it will take up to, even after you're back playing, another year maybe before you are fully, fully recovered. But everyone's body is different, everyone's knee is different, everyone's recovery is different. 

“So far I feel good and I'm just happy that the manager is putting his trust in me to put me out there, giving me the opportunity to get better as well. I feel good but there is always room for improvement, and I feel like it's on the way. “

It is clear that Virgil has a close bond with Joel Matip and says that the laid back nature of the 30 year-old has a effect on the whole squad.

“He’s a special, special character and we all appreciate him in our group. Not only for his qualities – because he's an unbelievable defender – but as a human being as well. He's how everyone should take life, I think – very easy, be nice and put a lot of things in perspective. We all appreciate him.”

The games against rivals like the one today against Man City are what players, mangers and fans alike live for.

Van Dijk knows first hand the challenges that the reigning champions present, however coming off a impressive Champions League result midweek and general form in the league means that confidence within the Liverpool camp is high.

“Obviously talking about that game (Porto), it was a very, very good game for us. Great result away from home, six points out of two games in the Champions League – so far, so good in that case. 

“But obviously we know how tough a game it's going to be against the reigning champions. So, we have to be very good to beat them, to get a good result. But we're looking forward to it. A full stadium, a full Anfield, it's going to be a special one.

“There's going to be a lot of intensity. Obviously they are such a good football-playing side and we have to be ready to suffer at times. We will respect that but we're going to try to do everything to make it as difficult as possible for them on the day.”

View full article