You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Report: Klopp on Barcelona managerial shortlist 

TLW

36 minutes ago, Dave D said:

Absolutely not- expectation to spend enormous money, whether he wants the player or not, a stadium that he would struggle to connect to a large percentage of the fans due to its enormity, presidents that come and go that constantly appease fans to the detriment of the club, a history of players ruling the roost, a savage press pack, a fairly uncompetitive league, enormous player wages, religious tensions and finally a constant balmy climate for a haggard beardy steiner swilling German        

They haven't got any money, and there is zero chance that any player there now would rule the roost over Klopp. If the league wasn't competitive Barcelona wouldn't have drawn three of their first six games, Rayo wouldn't be fifth, and Real Sociedad wouldn't be second. Valencia look half decent again, Betis too, and the eleventh best team in the league, with their two best players injured, were a 95th minute goal away from drawing away to United (a team they beat in a European final a few months ago). The league is competitive, it's lazy to say otherwise.

It being a massive club that is currently shit would appeal. Their fans being shit wouldn't. In fact, I think he would struggle to find a connection to most of the clubs in Spain. There are a few smaller clubs he would. Real Betis, Rayo Vallecano, maybe some of the Basque clubs. But ultimately, I think he'd struggle to replicate the feeling he has here and had at Dortmund. 

I think the language might be a sticking point for him ever going to Spain. 

I get the impression that Barca and Madrid have an expectation for their manager and players to learn Spanish, I'm not sure Jurgen could be arsed with that. He had a bit of trouble with the transition when he first came here and he already had very good English. He is a very passionate man and manager, a lot of what makes him special will literally be lost in translation. 

8 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

They haven't got any money, and there is zero chance that any player there now would rule the roost over Klopp. If the league wasn't competitive Barcelona wouldn't have drawn three of their first six games, Rayo wouldn't be fifth, and Real Sociedad wouldn't be second. Valencia look half decent again, Betis too, and the eleventh best team in the league, with their two best players injured, were a 95th minute goal away from drawing away to United (a team they beat in a European final a few months ago). The league is competitive, it's lazy to say otherwise.

It being a massive club that is currently shit would appeal. Their fans being shit wouldn't. In fact, I think he would struggle to find a connection to most of the clubs in Spain. There are a few smaller clubs he would. Real Betis, Rayo Vallecano, maybe some of the Basque clubs. But ultimately, I think he'd struggle to replicate the feeling he has here and had at Dortmund. 

The competitive league aspect is a recent anomaly and will never last- the odd season maybe- Real or Barca have won 17 of the last 21 LaLigas.

As a club Barca will never be in the doldrums like we were for a long time- same applies to Real. 

The two of them will win 7 of the next 10 between them

53 minutes ago, Dave D said:

Absolutely not- expectation to spend enormous money, whether he wants the player or not, a stadium that he would struggle to connect to a large percentage of the fans due to its enormity, presidents that come and go that constantly appease fans to the detriment of the club, a history of players ruling the roost, a savage press pack, a fairly uncompetitive league, enormous player wages, religious tensions and finally a constant balmy climate for a haggard beardy steiner swilling German        

Whereas his dedication to development of players would mean he would be like a kid in a sweetshop, and I think Barca's relationship with big money signings might be on the wane.  

It's true, I don't picture him in Barca either, but he's always up for a challenge. 

Just now, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Whereas his dedication to development of players would mean he would be like a kid in a sweetshop, and I think Barca's relationship with big money signings might be on the wane.  

It's true, I don't picture him in Barca either, but he's always up for a challenge. 

Definitely agree he would be up for a challenge but I think steering a club like Barca back to the Champions table wouldnt be it.

Barca will soon be back, Klopp or not.

Not sure, maybe AC Milan? Napoli? Seem good fits in terms of sleeping giants with passionate fan bases.

Although, if its his swan song its likely to be back in Germany Id have thought 

58 minutes ago, Dave D said:

Definitely agree he would be up for a challenge but I think steering a club like Barca back to the Champions table wouldnt be it.

Barca will soon be back, Klopp or not.

Not sure, maybe AC Milan? Napoli? Seem good fits in terms of sleeping giants with passionate fan bases.

Although, if its his swan song its likely to be back in Germany Id have thought 

Agree, though it sounds like we're purists.  So, I'd add the likes of Benfica and Ajax.  Truly massive clubs with huge pools of talent at their disposal, and capable of disrupting the 'establishment'.  Fuck it, Notts Forest.  Love it.  

• Upvote 1