You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City (H) - Sun 3rd Oct 2021 (4:30pm)

Trumo

18 hours ago, Trumo said:

And so on to what has become quite a heated rivalry over the past few years. Their club and fans have had a real sense of entitlement over this time, believing the rules and regulations simply do not apply to them because they're rich. Well, their owners are rich. City are nothing more than a sport-washing exercise aimed at getting any sort of spotlight away from the human rights abuses and dependency on oil continuing to be a valuable global commodity. FFP? Fuck that!

Tenacity. Wilyness. Incision. Impudence. Ingenuity. Intelligence. Imagination. Courage. Energy!

I don't ask for much.

Last season's corresponding fixture came at just the right time for the visitors. We were in the midst of a real slump in home form, decimated in defence, incapacitated in midfield and impotent up front. Even the more reliable players were suffering from a downturn in form as we had to select both Hendo and Fab in the centre of defence. With no fans present, it suited City as they thrive in conditions that resemble a training exercise.

Anyway, it was a much happier outcome in August 1969 when Joe Mercer's side visited Anfield. They'd won the FA Cup the previous season, and the league title on goal difference the season before that. They had the likes of Lee, Bell and Summerbee so were clearly a very good side. The Anfield Iron scored an own goal and Ian Bowyer netted another for the visitors, but thanks to a pair of fellas now having a kickabout behind the Pearly Gates, we came away with the 2 points. Saint got two goals and Sir Roger got the other. A fine result but Shanks' team were in need of some new blood, and stalwarts like the two legendary strikers, goalkeeper The Flying Pig and centre half Big Ron would soon be on their way. The guys that took their place did pretty well though! I can't find a clip of that game but here's a newspaper cutting.

1969-09-24-mancity-524.jpg?width=334

Not just on the pitch at Anfield, but also in everyday life there was a changing of the tide. The short-back-and-sides stuffy conservatism of the early 60s had slowly been giving way to freedom of speech, anti-war protests, hallucinogenic drugs, a harder edged rock music, free love and the catch-all term 'counter culture'. If ever a movie captured the zeitgeist, it was the August 1969 box office top spot holder directed by and starring Dennis Hopper, written by and co-starring his friend Peter Fonda, and effectively bringing to the mainstream conscience a young upstart and budding acting legend by the name of Jack Nicholson. Cali to The Big Easy. Harleys. Copious drugs. Steppenwolf's counter culture anthem 'Born To Be Wild'. Easy Rider is one of the films that ushered in America's version of France's cinematic New Wave. Directors, writers, producers and actors who actively shunned the old Hollywood studio system and used their independent spirit to secure the finance needed to tell stories that were begging to be told. A bona fide classic.

This will be our toughest test of the season to date. I'd imagine the City lot will be thinking the same thing. Unlike in recent fixtures where they've thrashed us because half our players were drunk (post title-win 2019/20) or incapacitated (last season), and when no fans have been in the ground, this is more like what they'd have come up against when Anfield was packed to the rafters, our team were well up for it, and Pep the oddball had his meltdown. We just need to know that we can do that again, and that they know we can do that again, and then actually do that again. As ever, the right focus and the right attitude will see that we stand a great chance of getting it done. In an era where it's become normal for money to put paid to ethics and where the perpetrators never get their comeuppance, Jurgen and the team are almost like the counter culture to that mentality. Get your motor running...

Love the acronym!

• Upvote 1

Also, I'm more talking about the game management part. Maybe this is where I'm wrong, but I don't think we have it in us anymore to score goals in quick succession in a blitz type period which is mostly how we beat them in years prior. And I also don't know if we can suffer for periods of domination and come out on the other side. We aren't in many games like that. 

5 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

That is in our favour. So was the Chelsea game, though.

Good point - I think that Chelsea are probably the team I would pick to win the league if not Liverpool this season.

Pretty sure City, from the manager on down realizes that for the first time for them it is not a two horse race. More pressure on them. That same team won the CL, that is what Guardiola was hired for. More pressure on them. I don't think they are built for that.

18 minutes ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

Everyone seems to think Jones will start but if he's fit I have a feeling Keita might get the nod. 

There is absolutely no way Keita should IMO.

We are already blunted creativity wise by TAA's absence - picking a midfielder on top of that who creates fuck all over one who creates plenty would be a bad call.

I also have this nagging feeling he may pick Gomez at right back for his defensive nous - which again would be a bad call IMO as he offers fuck all in an attacking sense, and as we all know our full backs are so crucial to our attacking width and threat.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, an tha said:

There is absolutely no way Keita should IMO.

We are already blunted creativity wise by TAA's absence - picking a midfielder on top of that who creates fuck all over one who creates plenty would be a bad call.

I also have this nagging feeling he may pick Gomez at right back for his defensive nous - which again would be a bad call IMO as he offers fuck all in an attacking sense, and as we all know our full backs are so crucial to our attacking width and threat.

Yeah I'd pick Jones I just think he might pick Keita. I think he rates Keita higher than a lot on here, myself included and might want the fresh legs for the counter press. Keita, whatever you think of him is pretty good off the ball .

5 minutes ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

Yeah I'd pick Jones I just think he might pick Keita. I think he rates Keita higher than a lot on here, myself included and might want the fresh legs for the counter press. Keita, whatever you think of him is pretty good off the ball .

Keita might have a shave tomorrow and then be unavailable due to razor burn!

11 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

We don't know that.

It is of course an opinion but one i happily stand by - as i say he is not a baby any more.

I appreciate all players develop physically and indeed mentally to the demands of playing first team/top level football, but if this lad is going to be what we all hope he might be it is my view that he should be coping with 4/5 starts on the bounce easily enough now.

He should also be buzzing and full of confidence after the week he has had and that can of course be a massive help to a player and those around him....dropping him for a returning from yet another injury and abject performance Keita would be the wrong call for my money.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

Is he? He lets people run off him all the time. 

They've had our number recently. Their mobile forward line and interchanging has caused our defence all kinds of problems. We need to win the midfield battle which basically means stopping De Bruyne. Fabinho will be the key player sitting in front of the back 4 in that space where a lot of their players like to occupy. We need to be aggressive in our press but not leave wide open gaps for a counter. Hope Tiago is fit as he would be an ideal player to start this game

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, George Costanza said:

They've had our number recently. Their mobile forward line and interchanging has caused our defence all kinds of problems. We need to win the midfield battle which basically means stopping De Bruyne. Fabinho will be the key player sitting in front of the back 4 in that space where a lot of their players like to occupy. We need to be aggressive in our press but not leave wide open gaps for a counter. Hope Tiago is fit as he would be an ideal player to start this game

Thiago has no chance - Klopp ruled him out.

50 minutes ago, George Costanza said:

Yep physicality will be key. Monster them from the first whilste to the last.