You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FC Porto 1 Liverpool 5 (Sep 28 2021)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

We probably have a completely false view of Porto based on us always battering them. They’re actually a good side but we always make them look useless, especially at their place. We’re like kryptonite to them. Their goals against at home record over recent seasons is brilliant when they aren’t playing us; it’s either a clean sheet or they’ll let one in. Then we come to town and run riot against them.

It isn’t about their lack of quality as nobody else does it to them. It’s not about how good we are either as it’s not like we do this to everyone. It must be style of play. Whatever it is about them, it suits us perfectly because we can carve them open at will. There’s space everywhere and I know this is an easy thing to say and I feel as though I say it every week, but we really ought to have scored more than we did.

In one sense that seems a bit daft. I mean, I read today that after the first nine games this is the joint most goals we’ve ever scored in club history. So talking about how we should have scored more seems a bit churlish, but I don’t think it’s being unreasonable either. We aren’t going to score with every chance, that’s not really my point. In this game specifically it wasn’t missed chances, it was missed chances to make the chances.

In the first half I couldn’t believe just how on top we were. The game was wide open for us and it felt like every single time we got the ball within seconds we were right on top of their defence with a promising situation. We didn’t make enough of those opportunities. It was never going to matter because unlike at Brentford you knew that Porto weren’t going to pose much of a threat, while they were so bad at the back (and in goal!) that we were always going to score four or five.

We only managed two in the first half despite almost total dominance. And both goals were gifts by their keeper. Ok, maybe it’s going overboard to describe the first one as a gift as such, but it wasn’t good from him was it?

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 4

• dave u pinned this topic
1 minute ago, TheBitch said:

Let’s fucking have these financial doping, human rights abusing, crying bald bastard manager employing, lawyering up to avoid punishment cunts”

Wonderful stuff. 

Hey! That bit's supposed to be behind the paywall.  

• Upvote 2

Its hard to figure out what the keeper was thinking. The best I can do is he must have seen a lot of videos of good keepers like Alisson and the way they sometimes come way forward to snuff out direct play. Alisson often anticipates things and starts moving forward as soon as he sees the opposing keeper or defender lift their leg back so he can be in position to deal with it. 

He must have had a rush of blood the head that made him think: "I iz aLso An Sweepr KeepaH". By the time that rush receded he realises he's come way too far out and has to commit at that point. Wouldn't want to look stupid!

That's about the best I can do. 

Regarding Mane's goal, I'm thinking the keeper left it because he was spooked by how they conceded the first. Probably thought there was a chance he would push it into the path of a Liverpool player.

The problem was he had too much faith in his defenders' mind reading abilities. Because they had absolutely no clue he was going to leave it. Milner deserves some credit too for putting in the very definition of a "corridor of uncertainty" cross.

• dave u unpinned this topic