You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

RIP Sir Roger

redinblack

4 hours ago, Frank Dacey said:

Last time I saw him interviewed he looked almost unchanged and sounded really well so this is a shock. Scored a hat-trick in my first game at Anfield. The third member of that we've team lost this year, after the Saint and Tommy Leishmann. I'm sure he'll get a great tribute on Sunday.

Scored twice in my first game at Anfield. Instant hero. Sometimes the term "legend" is overused but never in his case. He epitomised everything about the Shanky era and what over the years the club has aspired to be. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I've got something in my eye so it's difficult to write. He gave me so much joy as a teenager. First and second division champions, FA cup winner ( at at when that really meant something), World Cup winner and he'd have had a shot at a European Cup medal if it hadn't been for that cheating cunt of a Portuguese referee.

Nickmannion write this as a comment in the Grauniad today and I can think of no finer tribute to this wonderful player and human being.

A long story as short as possible.
1965 and my gran insists I say hello to the famous (as fame went in '65) footballer who was courting the girl next door but one. An awkward 6 yr old shook his hand and he gave me an autograph and made me laugh and a lifelong devotion to a player/club was born.
My first time seeing him play was 67/8 when my uncle took me to watch Liverpool v Blackpool. We were in the paddock and he sat me on the wall as the players warmed up. A bullet headed Scot prowling the sidelines said 'ye alright son?' 'I've come to see Roger play' 'Aye there's 11 guys in tangerine come to do that too'
He scored twice.
1970 am long term seriously ill in hospital, life threatening at first. Via my gran word got to Roger that this little lad who worshipped him was in dire straits. He came to visit me unnanounced. Sat for 30 mins and brought in and gave me to hold an England cap, one of his league medals, his FA Cup medal and I think a Euro Comp. losers medal.
Then out of his jacket pocket in a velvet box in my hands to open...yes...his World Cup winners medal. Aside: In the private ward was a parent of someone as world famous as possible in 1970. A nurse told visiting son about my plight and he came to the childrens ward to chat for 10 mins and I bored George Harrison all about Roger Hunt!
Fast forward to 1982. Me working in a pub, busy tea time shift full of a gang of lads talking bollox about the coming world cup in Spain...Keegan this/Robson that/Mariner the other...
A lorry cab had pulled in to the car park and the driver came in and ordered his bar meal and half and was sat no more than 5 yards from the 'knowledgeable' footie crew. Not one recognised they had a World Cup winner in the same room.
I went over to collect his plate and glass with a 'you wont remember me but...' to thank him. He asked how I was and how my gran was and remembered his visit.
For everything you ever did on the field and for the above showing what an exemplary and humble human being you were I want to express my heartfelt thanks and it is a while since I have shed a tear but today is the day I did again.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 17

18 hours ago, Arniepie said:

Me mums hero 

RIP.

Yip, my Mum also, was completely besotted with him. 
Every weekend through the 60s we’d watch him and Ian St John run riot in the box. Absolute Legend. Saint John only left us a few months ago, and only a year younger than Roger.

They must be putting a new team together, up there in the New Anfield.

Bye Mr Hunt, and thanks for every cherished memory.

• Upvote 2

On 29/09/2021 at 01:26, Evelyn Tentions said:

I've got something in my eye so it's difficult to write. He gave me so much joy as a teenager. First and second division champions, FA cup winner ( at at when that really meant something), World Cup winner and he'd have had a shot at a European Cup medal if it hadn't been for that cheating cunt of a Portuguese referee.

Nickmannion write this as a comment in the Grauniad today and I can think of no finer tribute to this wonderful player and human being.

1965 and my gran insists I say hello to the famous (as fame went in '65) footballer who was courting the girl next door but one. An awkward 6 yr old shook his hand and he gave me an autograph and made me laugh and a lifelong devotion to a player/club was born.
My first time seeing him play was 67/8 when my uncle took me to watch Liverpool v Blackpool. We were in the paddock and he sat me on the wall as the players warmed up. A bullet headed Scot prowling the sidelines said 'ye alright son?' 'I've come to see Roger play' 'Aye there's 11 guys in tangerine come to do that too'
He scored twice.
1970 am long term seriously ill in hospital, life threatening at first. Via my gran word got to Roger that this little lad who worshipped him was in dire straits. He came to visit me unnanounced. Sat for 30 mins and brought in and gave me to hold an England cap, one of his league medals, his FA Cup medal and I think a Euro Comp. losers medal.
Then out of his jacket pocket in a velvet box in my hands to open...yes...his World Cup winners medal. Aside: In the private ward was a parent of someone as world famous as possible in 1970. A nurse told visiting son about my plight and he came to the childrens ward to chat for 10 mins and I bored George Harrison all about Roger Hunt!
Fast forward to 1982. Me working in a pub, busy tea time shift full of a gang of lads talking bollox about the coming world cup in Spain...Keegan this/Robson that/Mariner the other...
A lorry cab had pulled in to the car park and the driver came in and ordered his bar meal and half and was sat no more than 5 yards from the 'knowledgeable' footie crew. Not one recognised they had a World Cup winner in the same room.
I went over to collect his plate and glass with a 'you wont remember me but...' to thank him. He asked how I was and how my gran was and remembered his visit.
For everything you ever did on the field and for the above showing what an exemplary and humble human being you were I want to express my heartfelt thanks and it is a while since I have shed a tear but today is the day I did again.

Fucking magic

He scored twice.

Magnificent! Thank you for posting that.

He scored twice.

All over the place reading that, and he was way before my time as a fan.