Sign in to follow this  
redinblack

RIP Sir Roger

Oh for fucks sake. Absolutely gutted. Although I was only young, I had the privilege of seeing him play in that great 60's side.

A legend of the club and one of my Dad's favourite ever players.

God bless you Sir Roger. 

Last time I saw him interviewed he looked almost unchanged and sounded really well so this is a shock. Scored a hat-trick in my first game at Anfield. The third member of that we've team lost this year, after the Saint and Tommy Leishmann. I'm sure he'll get a great tribute on Sunday.

4 minutes ago, redinblack said:

I feel your pain brother. Im very sad.

My old fella was in his early 40's when I was born (1975) so he'd watched the Reds regular from the late 1940's up the early 1970's. I grew up on stories of the Saint, the Collosus, the Flying Pig, Cally and of course Sir Roger. I'll speak to my old man tomorrow, he'll be gutted.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Oh no! My first Liverpool hero. Absolutely gutted. He seemed in good health last I heard.

Every time I’ve seen him interviewed he’s looked fucking ace for his age and came across as having all his faculties. 

Just got back from work and found out I have died.

My first and greatest hero despite all of the legends I have seen since.

Apparently a  fantastic , modest gentleman as well as a superb footballer.

RIP YNWA

• Like 1
  • Upvote 9

RIP to a true legend....My Mums favourite player 

As the great Kenneth Wolstenholme say's on this brilliant montage "one of the most dangerous players in the world"

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, lifetime fan said:

Every time I’ve seen him interviewed he’s looked fucking ace for his age and came across as having all his faculties. 

I've just seen the Echo's website and they're reporting he died after a long illness.

I, like everyone else on here had no idea.

It's terrible news.

There are some deaths you hear about of people you’ve never met that knock you for six.

Sometimes it’s their young age, maybe the way they died. Occasionally it’s because you realise that they meant more to you than you ever knew.

Roger Hunt has been part of my love affair with Liverpool FC for nearly all my life. He’s part of the reason why Liverpool are my club, despite my place of birth.

I can’t lie and say the success they’ve had hasn’t been part of it, but it was also about the values, the colour and noise from the Kop, a city that gave us the Beatles, the stories of those early European adventures, Shanks greatness and Roger’s goals. 

What Liverpool FC became, the moments we’ve shared, we owe to relatively few. Sir Roger Hunt was one of them.

RIP

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3