You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brentford 3 Liverpool 3 (Sep 25 2021)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

Shite that. Two points thrown away and a defensive showing that brought back unpleasant memories of the days before Virgil. We looked a soft touch, and that's not like us.

We had a bit of a disagreement on the podcast about whether this is on the forwards or the defence. In the past I’d usually be the first one to pin it on wasteful forwards, mainly on the basis that the defensive side of our game is normally so reliable that they should be allowed the occasional bad game and when that happens they should be entitled to expect the forwards to bail them out.

This time I don’t see it that way. Sure, we could have scored more goals but we did get three and it’s not like we squandered loads of chances. There were a few that probably should have been converted but you aren’t going to score with every chance and three should have been enough. It wasn’t enough because we defended like knobheads.

That’s not a shot at the back four specifically either; it’s a team thing. We gave away shitty goals, we didn't press well enough and this wasn’t one of those games where everything they hit went in and you can therefore put it down to bad luck. They looked dangerous all day and fully deserved a point, because we just never got to grips with what they were doing. 

It’s not like what they were doing was unique or anything we don’t face all the time. It was very direct. Loads of long balls up to two physical frontmen and plenty of crosses into an overloaded box. They did it well, credit to them, but we shouldn’t be getting done like that as often as we did.

I didn't see it coming, especially after such a great first ten minutes. It was going exactly how you’d want it to and there were no warnings of what was to come. We were within a whisker of an early goal when Jota played Mo in and his shot was cleared off the line by a defender who came out of nowhere. Mo’s first touch wasn’t brilliant which meant his options were limited and all he could do was poke it through the keepers legs. It looked like it had enough pace to get there but credit to the lad for getting back.

Sadio’s follow up effort was fucking terrible. He shouldn’t even be attempting to score from that angle and should have taken a touch and tried to pick someone out. He scored a similar chance last week but a) that was a better angle, b) it was his right foot and c) this wasn’t Crystal Palace.

This is only a teaser, click here to view the full report

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic

Good report Dave. From Brentford's perspective, they had a go and fought well for the point. I just got the feeling 2 seasons ago we wouldnt have shipped so many goals.

Not sure Id rest either \ both Joel and Virgil against Porto after that showing on Saturday. I think the pair need to get back on the horse as it were and tighten up at the back.

59 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Not sure Id rest either \ both Joel and Virgil against Porto after that showing on Saturday. I think the pair need to get back on the horse as it were and tighten up at the back.

Follow that logic but Konate and Gomez are going to get quizzical if they aren't given any chances in weeks where we have 3 tough games in eight days.

• Upvote 2

Matip simply can't be trusted to play 3 games in a week so therefore i'd rest him in midweek so he is ok for the cheats on Sunday.

VVD being on way back to full match fitness after so long out is also probably a risk for 3 games in a week as well.

Be interesting to see what Klopp does at centre half.

In addition to that Robbo has a tendency to drift in behind the offside-line, his crosses and corners are not that good anymore. Once in a while he produces quality crosses, but so far this season Kostas has been superior when it comes to deliveries.

For matches where we are expected to see most of the ball, I would now like to see Kostas start at left back

• Upvote 1

Agree with you, the disappointing result in on the defense. But if we look at the bright side, this game was the Villa away of last year. So we only conceded 3 and we took a point to be top ( watch mighty Brighton though). Let’s beat City and roll on …

• Upvote 1

The defending was awful but hopefully it was just a one off, the finishing wasn't great but their keeper had a really good game and still conceded 3 he was their man of the match I'd say. Hopefully moving forward Trent doesn't get isolated like that again because every team will look at that and try to use it against us.

9 hours ago, major said:

In addition to that Robbo has a tendency to drift in behind the offside-line, his crosses and corners are not that good anymore. Once in a while he produces quality crosses, but so far this season Kostas has been superior when it comes to deliveries.

For matches where we are expected to see most of the ball, I would now like to see Kostas start at left back

i would now like to see kostas start at left back, wow mr usher wont enjoy reading that comment, suggesting you drop 'his boy robbo'

On 27/09/2021 at 00:22, sir roger said:

Follow that logic but Konate and Gomez are going to get quizzical if they aren't given any chances in weeks where we have 3 tough games in eight days.

Yeah wouldnt disagree with that thinking either Roger. It's good that jurgen has the conundrum to sort out.

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic