You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FC Porto (A) - CL, Tue 28th Sep 2021 (8:00pm)

Trumo

A familiar foe in Europe marks our first away game in this season's Champions League. We've played them twice in recent seasons, and met them in Europe twice in the first decade of the new millennium. Like Milan, they aren't the same force they were 15 to 20 years ago, but like Milan they can pose a threat that cannot be taken lightly. What do we need then?

Power. Accuracy. Urgency. Luck. Organisation. Flair. Unwavering faith. Tactical nous. Resilience. Elegance.

I don't ask for much.

We played them in the quarter finals during our CL winning run of 2018/19, but it's the Round of 16 tie from a year earlier in February 2018 that I want to recollect. Porto were predicted to be a very tough task for anybody, especially in their own stadium where they had a very very good record. It was a big ask for us to take something away from the Dragao and then finish the job at Anfield. Apart from a sticky few minutes early on, the game turned into a rout that nobody saw coming. We went full Red (Orange) Arrows, with a Sadio hat-trick added to with a goal apiece for Bobby and Mo to complete a 5-0 shelling and kill the tie off completely. Mo's effort was just an immense bit of ball control on his head in a tight space. He was a complete goal machine in 2017/18 and it's funny because for the first half of the season, his conversion rate from all the excellent chances he found himself with seemed to be about 50%. He'd come away from games having scored a brace when he could easily have had 4. We dismantled Porto so comprehensively that the second leg was a mere formality. We'd go on to face City in the quarters.

The box office in mid-February 2018 was headed by the MCU's latest cinematic superhero movie. It's one that came in a little bit under the radar even though Marvel Studios had introduced the character a couple of years earlier in Captain America: Civil War, but it and he became a cultural phenomenon, not least in sub-Saharan Africa. The fictional nation of Wakanda, the young leader T'Challa ascending the throne to lead his people, and a cohesive, impressive and entertaining film that made Black Panther one of the best of the genre. A career-making turn for the late, great Chadwick Boseman who overcame monumental personal health issues to take on the role. It's sad he's not around anymore, but he has left one hell of a legacy. As I said above, you cannot underestimate just how much the character has resonated throughout much of Africa. They have a hero of their own, someone who they can relate to, someone who can inspire, and something to aspire to.

Our team has its very own African superheroes, and they are more than capable of doing exactly what they did to Porto 3 years ago. They might be older now, and one of them has been very erratic recently, but they are still a danger the Portuguese side will undoubtedly be wary of. They'll also be wary of the goal threat posed by one of their countrymen. I wouldn't expect us to hand out a similar thrashing, nor would I underestimate Porto, but I would say that if we do all the right things and play to the standards we are capable of, we can get outof Portugal with a 100% record in the group going into the double-header with our European bête noire Atlético Madrid. Just get it done.

• Upvote 3

Putting petrol aside for a minute, the Uk number 1 single at the time of the above mentioned game was this R Kelly rip off from Val Doonican wannabe Stormzy. The man who was the inspiration for the obscure Crowded House b-side, Weather With You. Filmed in Alderley Edge, Stormzy (Real name Jane Flanagan) invited local school kids to attend with the promise of a buffet and some free publicity. Police shut the event down after just 18 minutes when a sausage roll hit Andy Peters who was reporting for Channel 6 News from the adjacent car-park. Nobody actually knows what happened to Pt. 1 

• Upvote 2

I think we'll see a lot of the fringe players in this one...

-----------------Allison-----------------------

Trent----Konate------Gomez-----Tsimikas

------------------Milner---------------------

--------Ox-----------------Keita------------

--Salah-------Firmino----------Origi-------

....to make sure he can bring all the big guns on Sunday.... In that case Mo shouldn't start, but I'm guessing he'll do so no matter what, both to win us the game and because he never gets injured anyway. Firmino also gets a start, I'm guessing to check if he's fully up to speed.

On Sunday it'll most likely be;

----------------Allison--------------------

---Trent---Matip----VvD-----Robbo--

--------------Fabinho------------------

-----Henderson----------Curtis-------

Salah---------Firmino---------Mane

With Jota being a bit unlucky to miss out. I still think Klopp will play his trusted three whenever the onus is on us to be at our absolute best pressing-wise. That was probably the idea on Saturday as well, that our front press was too loose, and Brentford had no trouble finding gaps all over the field. Bobby is much more effective from the front though, and I suspect he'll have a pivotal role to play on Sunday.

One game at a time as Klopp and the players always tell us... not really, though, you have to plan for Man City...

3 hours ago, Arnaud said:

Are you sure Klopp will rotate so many players mate ? Agree with you about Bobby for Sunday, it makes sense, but that would mean Joys starts tonite, wouldn’t it ?

No, not sure at all! Just think City is the one game where we need to take the opposition into account as they play differently to any other team on the planet. Hence having our best 11 at pressing rested and ready is important.

Dont't think Firmino will play the full game under any circumstance, but he might have to prove his fitness due to his prolonged absence. 60 mins today and 75 on Sunday perhaps?