Sign in to follow this  
littletedwest

Winter of discontent

25 minutes ago, mattyq said:

Inflation did rise this month. By 3.1%

The rate of the rise fell marginally by.1%

Public sector workers do the most important and vital work in the economy and we haven't had a pay rise at all. All 6.5 million of us

That means effectively I've had a 3% cut in wages this year. Thank you Brexit and Johnson

Brexit=Tory

I agree wage rises in the public sector havnt risen as they should but other sectors have and these are rises that are well deserved and have been a long time coming. It's important not to have a race to the bottom and use other low paid wage rises to form wedges between workers. 

I'd suggest public service workers should look at Brexit and other sector pay rises as an opportunity and a guide rather than falling into the social media trap of lazy dismissal. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58241006.amp

17 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I'd suggest public service workers should look at Brexit and other sector pay rises as an opportunity and a guide rather than falling into the social media trap of lazy dismissal. 

@mattyq some sage advice from gnasher here, all you have to do is get 4m of your colleagues to fuck off and the appreciation for the remaining 2m will be rewarded in more than just claps.

5 minutes ago, No2 said:

@mattyq some sage advice from gnasher here, all you have to do is get 4m of your colleagues to fuck off and the appreciation for the remaining 2m will be rewarded in more than just claps.

Not exactly what I advised. Would you rather the millions of low paid private sector workers didn't receive their pay rises? You think if they didn't receive rises it would make the case for public sector rises stronger? 

4 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Not exactly what I advised. Would you rather the millions of low paid private sector workers didn't receive their pay rises? You think if they didn't receive rises it would make the case for public sector rises stronger? 

I'm happy for people when they get a decent pay rise

The problem is that if nurses, teacher's, TAs, lab assistants, hospital porters etc fuck off to the hospitality sector then who's going to do their work?

Nobody

And if nobody does their work then what's going to happen to hospitals, GP practices, schools, testing labs, dole offices etc? In a pandemic 

A major worry is wage rises will form a blackmarket workforce where documentation is not available partly because of Brexit. That's apparently happening now and it'll be a disaster, our we could see a lot of slave labour sites like the garment industry in Leicester popping up where immigrants are abused and ignored and our government turns a blind eye. 

Edit; that's one of the ways the government and bosses will suppress wages but then that should prove an open goal for the Labour Party to turn the immigration debate on its head in the guise of protecting workers pay.

13 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I think HGV drivers got pay rises because half them fucked off and that's the only way the Tory cunts will award public servant pay rises.

4 minutes ago, mattyq said:

I'm happy for people when they get a decent pay rise

The problem is that if nurses, teacher's, TAs, lab assistants, hospital porters etc fuck off to the hospitality sector then who's going to do their work?

Nobody

And if nobody does their work then what's going to happen to hospitals, GP practices, schools, testing labs, dole offices etc? In a pandemic 

I know and I understand, it's a difficult time, especially for key workers. I'm not sure how your/the union/employer relationship works but I'd have thought with inflation possibly rising to approx 4% in the future surely a 6-8% pay rise across the public sector is reasonable in the next round of wage negotiations?

Just now, No2 said:

I think HGV drivers got pay rises because half them fucked off and that's the only way the Tory cunts will award public servant pay rises.

True, unfortunately very true. I believe a lot of workers in the public sector have also left although obviously not in the numbers of other industries.