You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Winter of discontent

littletedwest

8 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

There's backlogs and delays right the way through the DVLA.

My 3 year medical licence expired 2 weeks ago with no sign of a renewal.

I filled the in forms they sent me in the middle of June.

I've been on the website and that just says they can't give me any information and gives me a phone number.

I ring the number and I get a message which informs me that the lines are very busy and do I know that any queries can be resolved  on their website.

No they fucking can't. 

I've actually managed to speak to them twice, first time was some very unhelpful fella, the second about 3 weeks later when I spoke to some girl who while pleasant, couldn't give me any answers.

This whole shitstorm could have been avoided with better management. 

The Transport Secretary Grant Shapps needs to get a grip on this and give it his undivided attention, but with him being as incompetent as the rest of them, I don't hold out much hope.

The whole thing is an absolute fucking mess and it's of their making.

I found a flaw in your plan mate.

I wouldn't be completely unhappy if somebody assassinated the prime minister and the cabinet. 

9 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

just baffling that so little forsight, planning or imagination was shown

Not that baffling really.

gettyimages-1157398939_1_-1038x778.jpg

8 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Johnson, and his cabal, has spent his whole career putting out fires and fighting problems of his own creation and then celebrating 'solving' these as if it's some kind of victory that the results weren't as terrible as they might have been.

Standard Tory procedure, stab you in the neck and think you should be grateful because they hand you an Elastoplast. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Chairman Meow said:

Standard Tory procedure, stab you in the neck and think you should be grateful because they hand you an Elastoplast. 

Not really, as they could conceivably tank the economy and watch it be bought up by foreign investors, now I assume they’d not be settling for a slice and would want the whole cake.

I genuinely think they got outmanoeuvred and have fudged whatever grotesque plan they had.

I get the disaster capitalism part, but this is just on the face of it a disaster.   

On Johnson there is no plan beyond personal gratification, he’s transparent and easily bought off.

18 minutes ago, Chairman Meow said:

Maybe in the past they'd have given you a plaster. These days they'll have given the plaster contract to their Eton mate and will sell you it for twice as much as it used to cost. 

26 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

And the fat slob has just denied that only 27 have applied, as has been reported and verified, and is claiming it actually far, far more at 127.

Prick.

And then he blamed a global shortage of HGV drivers. Sure thing.

1 hour ago, Bruce Spanner said:

And the fat slob has just denied that only 27 have applied, as has been reported and verified, and is claiming it actually far, far more at 127.

Prick.

I'm sure our world famous impartial news service will point that out.

Any minute now.. 

8 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

I'm sure our world famous impartial news service will point that out.

Any minute now.. 

Actually like most things liars say there is a germ of truth to it.

There are 300 exclusive fuel tanker visas, on top of the 5000 general HGV drivers.

Only 27 have applied for the fuel tanker jobs and these are posted as far away as India and the Far East which frankly is embarrassing if that's the number of responses.

The other 100 are people who have expressed interests in applying for the more general visas, but that's too perfect a number so is an estimation at best.

So it is a little bit damned if you do as there is an imediate response which means the argument is centered on misreporting and not the actual problem, a distraction technique as old as time.

All in all fucking pathetic.

There has been an under the counter offer to the Phillipines to send 2,500 butchers to help in the short term as well, these have been declined already...

32 minutes ago, M_B said:

Yeah nothing to see here. The shortage is because of our giant economy waking up and a global lack of drivers.

Who believes this shit honestly?

Worldwide shortage, and yet they're trying to bring drivers from other countries, which are obviously short themselves?

Genius.

55 minutes ago, M_B said:

Yeah nothing to see here. The shortage is because of our giant economy waking up and a global lack of drivers.

Who believes this shit honestly?

A quick scan of the bbc comments page would suggest plenty.

We send a shit load of drivers home but that is nothing to do  with the current driver shortage.

It's almost stalinesque.